BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

02-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #331
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Walker Texas Ranger?
Him too

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #332
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Yes, on a lite tunes like a Stage 1, you can toggle-switch the emissions checks, on or off.

However, high-power tunes, it might be mandatory that it's disable, by design, since Stage 2 and above requires a downpipe, at least for BM3, as far as I know.
All of my Stage 2 93/E30 and Stage 2H 93/E30 maps since 5.5 have CEL Monitors set to OEM and I've never gotten a CEL or had emissions test issues with the 300-cell HJS downpipe.
Oh, I don't have the BM3 software, as I'm a piggyback kind of guy but I get the gist of the program and from what I understand, Stage 2 and higher requires a high-flow cat, plus a larger intercooler.

I guess it still allows you to leave the checks on, regardless if you choose or need to use them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #333
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Oh, I don't have the BM3 software, as I'm a piggyback kind of guy but I get the gist of the program and from what I understand, Stage 2 and higher requires a high-flow cat, plus a larger intercooler.

I guess it still allows you to leave the checks on, regardless if you choose or need to use them.
That’s right.

So, the question here is if Happy had CEL monitors set to Off bc his downpipe was throwing CELs.

If so, of course it’ll fail emissions. If not, then it’s a issue with the downpipe, not BM3.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #334
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
That’s right.

So, the question here is if Happy had CEL monitors set to Off bc his downpipe was throwing CELs.

If so, of course it’ll fail emissions. If not, then it’s a issue with the downpipe, not BM3.
I have not edited the stage 2 91 octane tune but I don't know what the default is set at. When I check via phone it just says choose between OEM and OFF but no selection is applied.

I had no cel running Fi sport cat so theoretically my stock tune should allow me to pass.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      02-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #335
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I have not edited the stage 2 91 octane tune but I don't know what the default is set at. When I check via phone it just says choose between OEM and OFF but no selection is applied.

I had no cel running Fi sport cat so theoretically my stock tune should allow me to pass.
Default CEL Monitors should be OEM, so it seems like you’d still fail on the stock tune. But, who knows, maybe your specific combo of DP & Stage 2 is enough to fail emissions.

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #336
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

Yea, I hate how it's like that. It's confusing how they do it.

"OEM" means BMW OEM behavior
"Original" means the original way the tune came
"OTS" means it will update to whatever the most recent OTS settings are

But in some options, like the cat monitors, it gets confusing. Especially not knowing what is set by default.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #337
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Yea, I hate how it's like that. It's confusing how they do it.

"OEM" means BMW OEM behavior
"Original" means the original way the tune came
"OTS" means it will update to whatever the most recent OTS settings are

But in some options, like the cat monitors, it gets confusing. Especially not knowing what is set by default.
I've never understood this to be honest. What is the difference between Original and OTS?

Personally I like Cold-start, so I always set it to OEM because Original seems to delete it on the OTS maps. I've always assumed that Original is the same as OTS?!?

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #338
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I've never understood this to be honest. What is the difference between Original and OTS?

Personally I like Cold-start, so I always set it to OEM because Original seems to delete it on the OTS maps. I've always assumed that Original is the same as OTS?!?
So if you have a custom tune and choose "Original" it will apply the original settings of the custom tune for that specific option.

If you have a custom tune and choose "OTS" it will apply the latest OTS settings for that specific option.

So if you get a custom tune with custom burble settings built in... choosing "Original" will flash those custom settings. Choosing "OTS" will flash whatever the latest burble settings come with the OTS map.

I was trying to understand all of it last night, so happy to have an opportunity to share what I learned haha.

Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      02-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #339
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Default CEL Monitors should be OEM, so it seems like you’d still fail on the stock tune. But, who knows, maybe your specific combo of DP & Stage 2 is enough to fail emissions.

Let us know how it goes.
It was the tune that were failing the sensors. Stock tune passed.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      02-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #340
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Even with the sensor setting set to OEM settings it failed? Glad you got it sorted, nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #341
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #342
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm. Even with the sensor setting set to OEM settings it failed? Glad you got it sorted, nonetheless.
I never changed the settings and didn't want to risk it playing with it since I only have 1 reinspection before paying for another. Decided to play it safe and just test it with the stock tune.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      02-21-2020, 04:46 AM   #343
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Planning to get a DYNO run with Stage 2 93 (100 octance mix with 91) since I'm in the west coast.

-Fabspeed downpipe HJS 200 cel
-VRSF 5" HD FMIC + Chargepipe
-FI catback exhaust

A knowledgable friend told me I should be around 380whp? Anyone have some idea what I should be pushing?
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #344
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Custom Throttle Mapping - wondering if anyone has used this feature in their BM3 tune and whether there were any issues?

I want to customise the Sport+ drive mode, change the throttle to Sport so I have Sport throttle combined with MDM (mainly for spirited country driving & track). I inquired with PTF a little while back and they replied that as a User I can do this only with Stock tune, otherwise a Customer Tuner can include it in the tune.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #345
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Custom Throttle Mapping - wondering if anyone has used this feature in their BM3 tune and whether there were any issues?

I want to customise the Sport+ drive mode, change the throttle to Sport so I have Sport throttle combined with MDM (mainly for spirited country driving & track). I inquired with PTF a little while back and they replied that as a User I can do this only with Stock tune, otherwise a Customer Tuner can include it in the tune.

Thanks in advance
custom throttle mapping is not a feature in bm3 per se, but it can certainly be done if you make your own tune. Bm3 allows you to use the stock tune as a baseline for which you build your own custom tune. They do not allow you to edit their ots tunes, aside from the drop down menu items like Burble and speed limiter.

With that said, dzenan did say a while ago he would consider it as a feature like Burble that allowed customers to customize their ots tune. I have not heard of any progress on this
      02-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #346
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post

Thanks in advance
custom throttle mapping is not a feature in bm3 per se, but it can certainly be done if you make your own tune. Bm3 allows you to use the stock tune as a baseline for which you build your own custom tune. They do not allow you to edit their ots tunes, aside from the drop down menu items like Burble and speed limiter.

With that said, dzenan did say a while ago he would consider it as a feature like Burble that allowed customers to customize their ots tune. I have not heard of any progress on this
@proTUNING Freaks
      03-08-2020, 10:19 PM   #347
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Is anybody having an issue or know what the problem with laptop recognizing OBD agent but BM3 not recognizing it??
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #348
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is anybody having an issue or know what the problem with laptop recognizing OBD agent but BM3 not recognizing it??
I have a problem that I can't login with Safari on a Mac, but it seems fine using Chrome. It's annoying, but there is a work around at least.

Here's the error I get, and to be clear, it's not a wrong password error; that's a different message:

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #349
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I can login via safari without issue but it won't detect the obd agent. I updated the obd agent last month and had no issues flashing. OBD agent says it's connected but bm3 is not detecting it. Not sure what the issue could be here.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #350
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can login via safari without issue but it won't detect the obd agent. I updated the obd agent last month and had no issues flashing. OBD agent says it's connected but bm3 is not detecting it. Not sure what the issue could be here.
I'm not sure I understand the issue you're having. There are three parts to the BM3 system:
  • OBD Agent Software - Could on the OBD Agent Device, or running on the same laptop
  • Client software - Web Page or Android / iOS app
  • BM3 Cloud server - Used for authentication, custom tuning; where maps are downloaded from by the OBD Agent
If you can log in, what error are you having? If the OBD Agent says it's connected, it's connected from the Agent to the Client. As far as I know, there is no need for the Agent to connect to BM3 Cloud unless you're trying to download a new map. Is that the problem that you're having?

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #351
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I'm not sure I understand the issue you're having. There are three parts to the BM3 system:
  • OBD Agent Software - Could on the OBD Agent Device, or running on the same laptop
  • Client software - Web Page or Android / iOS app
  • BM3 Cloud server - Used for authentication, custom tuning; where maps are downloaded from by the OBD Agent
If you can log in, what error are you having? If the OBD Agent says it's connected, it's connected from the Agent to the Client. As far as I know, there is no need for the Agent to connect to BM3 Cloud unless you're trying to download a new map. Is that the problem that you're having?
I attached the screenshot. I'm trying to flash my stock tune and relock dme for visit to the dealer. I can't even use the offline mode since it's not detecting the obd agent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #352
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I attached the screenshot. I'm trying to flash my stock tune and relock dme for visit to the dealer. I can't even use the offline mode since it's not detecting the obd agent.
So the issue is that the OBD Agent isn't detected by the Client software, which in your case, is a web browser... Sorry for my confusion; I wasn't sure what you meant by BM3 isn't detecting it.

You could try re-installing everything, delete the Agent software and download it again. I have, but rarely use a laptop to flash myself. I use an OBD Agent device (Raspberry Pi) and my phone to flash. You've reminded me to do another post about my setup actually.

Sorry I haven't been much help

Appreciate 1