BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Turning On and Off By Itself?

01-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi guys, ran into a bit of a weird issue tonight. My iDrive system started to turn off and on by itself. It's a very abrupt turning off - it's similar to if you turned off your computer manually by holding down the power button. It makes an audible popping noise like a guitar cable being unplugged from an amp too. Anyone else experience this before? Any input or fixes would be greatly appreciated! Car is a 2018 M2 w/ DCT completely OEM, only 5500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:05 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
Hi guys, ran into a bit of a weird issue tonight. My iDrive system started to turn off and on by itself. It's a very abrupt turning off - it's similar to if you turned off your computer manually by holding down the power button. It makes an audible popping noise like a guitar cable being unplugged from an amp too. Anyone else experience this before? Any input or fixes would be greatly appreciated! Car is a 2018 M2 w/ DCT completely OEM, only 5500 miles.
That sounds kind of like an electrical issue, but that's just a wild guess since I've personally never experienced it on my 2017 m2 with idrive 5 native and idrive 6 lite currently coded. If I were you I'd try to get it on video and have that ready to show the dealership in the event it gets worse so you can get warranty replacements with a bit less hassle.

Otherwise maybe reset your Idrive in the settings and see if that solve it and maybe do that in relation to pulling the negative battery terminal.
junx595.50
      01-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
That sounds kind of like an electrical issue, but that's just a wild guess since I've personally never experienced it on my 2017 m2 with idrive 5 native and idrive 6 lite currently coded. If I were you I'd try to get it on video and have that ready to show the dealership in the event it gets worse so you can get warranty replacements with a bit less hassle.

Otherwise maybe reset your Idrive in the settings and see if that solve it and maybe do that in relation to pulling the negative battery terminal.
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I'll record it and probably take it to the dealer this week. It looks like it might be a software issue based on some of the f80 threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I'll record it and probably take it to the dealer this week. It looks like it might be a software issue based on some of the f80 threads.
No problem! Hope you get it fixed.
junx595.50
      01-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update for anyone who has this issue in the future: BMW ended up replacing the entire head unit. Thank god it's still under warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
seen something like this in my me, seems to be relatively common. phantom clicks on the idrive screen. seems to happen in the winter. I know they had a service bullitin out for it at one point.

haven't had a chance to take mine in yet.
Appreciate 1
junx595.50
      01-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
seen something like this in my me, seems to be relatively common. phantom clicks on the idrive screen. seems to happen in the winter. I know they had a service bullitin out for it at one point.

Interesting, it's odd that my service guy didn't mention anything about service bulletins but stated that it was a known issue. Is your car still under warranty? Hopefully they can take a look at yours and get it taken care of too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, it's odd that my service guy didn't mention anything about service bulletins but stated that it was a known issue. Is your car still under warranty? Hopefully they can take a look at yours and get it taken care of too.
Yup. Still under warranty. Just haven't had time to bring it up.

It's very sporadic, but I do have video of when it happened.

My SA is pretty good about pushing warranty stuff through so I'm sure it won't be an issue replacing the unit.
Appreciate 2
junx595.50
      01-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Mark2016MG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2, 6 speed, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. Still under warranty. Just haven't had time to bring it up.

It's very sporadic, but I do have video of when it happened.

My SA is pretty good about pushing warranty stuff through so I'm sure it won't be an issue replacing the unit.
I had the exact same issue today, restarted on its own with the popping noise about 4 times. I was on a call and it was really annoying. I thought I saw something about software update completed on the last restart. Good idea about taking a video of it, my warranty is up in June.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Curious. If this wasn't covered under warranty, what would THAT bill have been?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Curious. If this wasn't covered under warranty, what would THAT bill have been?
Approx $1500 USD for the specific iDrive part and probably $300+ for labor. So glad my car is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0