BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Performance Center Experience vs Shipping

09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

Performance Center Experience vs Shipping

All,

I am currently building my M2C and have set it for Performance Center pick up. I am in NJ so it is going to be a nice ~10 hr drive to get it home. Has anyone actually done the Performance Center recently? I am curious because with COVID I think there are some things not being performed, and I am curious if the visit is still a 10-3pm type deal or is shorter.

In addition to some COVID concerns, my pickup is scheduled for 12/21 so I am a bit worried about driving the car back to NJ in winter. I have requested winter tires installed but waiting to hear back on that request.

Curious if I should just pay to have the vehicle shipped to my home.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzafi View Post
All,

I am currently building my M2C and have set it for Performance Center pick up. I am in NJ so it is going to be a nice ~10 hr drive to get it home. Has anyone actually done the Performance Center recently? I am curious because with COVID I think there are some things not being performed, and I am curious if the visit is still a 10-3pm type deal or is shorter.

In addition to some COVID concerns, my pickup is scheduled for 12/21 so I am a bit worried about driving the car back to NJ in winter. I have requested winter tires installed but waiting to hear back on that request.

Curious if I should just pay to have the vehicle shipped to my home.

Thanks!
I was there on 9/11, and it was great! I had been there before, and there were some COVID changes, but nothing that detracted from the experience. In fact, since there were fewer deliveries per day, we had more track time compared to prior visits. If you haven't done PCD yet, or even if it's your 5th PCD like mine, it's a wonderful experience that you won't regret.

I live in Florida now, but I had 2 January deliveries at the Performance Center when I lived in Michigan so there is a chance of winter weather. You could either drive with winter tires, or fly home and have the car shipped. I drove both times, but those cars were a 335xi and a 340xi (both 6mt) so they had awd and all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I was at the Performance Center on 8/31 doing the New Owner Event that came with a car I got earlier this year. I've done PCD years prior as well. There are certainly changes with COVID but to be honest it made it even more enjoyable to me.

Pre-COVID they did 12 deliveries per day, 6 morning, 6 afternoon. As of 8/31 they were doing only 4 per day, 2 morning and 2 afternoon. That means each group that used to have 12 guests now only has 4. More seat time, more space on the track and more fun. Inside the facility things were fine, fewer guests of course meant nothing was crowded, not that it ever really was before.

One other note, when I went the factory tours were closed and I felt that was one of the coolest parts of the experience when I did PCD. 3 months from now I would hope it is open, but just pointing that out for anyone else that may read this and be doing it sooner.

I'm sure you'll be actively checking weather the weeks before and if it is like prior years it could still be 50+ degrees in the northeast and tires wouldn't be an issue at all.

If it was cold with any chance of snow/slush it would be a slight concern, but if they could do winter tires, that would be fine for me. Although I'm not sure if you could fit 4 summer tires in your car for the ride back, worst case you could ship them to yourself. If they cannot accommodate the winter tires you could of course get them done locally too but not the most convenient.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
For what it's worth, you can fit 4 tires in the back seat of the M2. If you're taller and need the seat back further, you may need to put 1 tire in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
nzafi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
For what it's worth, you can fit 4 tires in the back seat of the M2. If you're taller and need the seat back further, you may need to put 1 tire in the trunk.
I am surprised. I guess you just buy tire covers and then stack them? Do you fold down the seats? I will have someone with me so will need the front passenger seat.

Right now I am hoping they can just install winter tires instead of the standard tires. If not, then I will have to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I am surprised. I guess you just buy tire covers and then stack them? Do you fold down the seats? I will have someone with me so will need the front passenger seat.

Right now I am hoping they can just install winter tires instead of the standard tires. If not, then I will have to figure it out.
So you can stand all 4 up on the seats. It's a little snug and if you're taller, you may not be able to move the seat back far enough. You could also try with the seat backs down to get a bit more room. If that's the case. Stack 2 on top of each other behind the passenger, and one behind the driver seat on an angle. The last one goes in the trunk. This can be done with the rear seat backs down if you'd like.

EDIT here's a Pic of my track tires loaded in the back. Granted they are 18x10 265/35r18 square, and I have my rear seats removed. But I have hauled my summers up to the tire place as I described above without removing the seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So you can stand all 4 up on the seats. It's a little snug and if you're taller, you may not be able to move the seat back far enough. You could also try with the seat backs down to get a bit more room. If that's the case. Stack 2 on top of each other behind the passenger, and one behind the driver seat on an angle. The last one goes in the trunk. This can be done with the rear seat backs down if you'd like.

EDIT here's a Pic of my track tires loaded in the back. Granted they are 18x10 265/35r18 square, and I have my rear seats removed. But I have hauled my summers up to the tire place as I described above without removing the seats.
That's actually super helpful! I am in process of getting winter tires. Was thinking how I was going to transport the summers back home.
      10-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's actually super helpful! I am in process of getting winter tires. Was thinking how I was going to transport the summers back home.
Easiest way is to fold the seats down. Stack 2 behind the passenger and 1 angled behind the driver. 1 in the trunk. Protects the leather and is relatively easy to get in and out if you don't have a bunch of stuff with you.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      10-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Deciding if PCD is worth it. How much time did you actually get on the track? Would be a fund drive back to NYC if no snow... but also my hospital will quarantine me until a negative covid test... only a day or two now but extra time off work
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
nzafi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
Deciding if PCD is worth it. How much time did you actually get on the track? Would be a fund drive back to NYC if no snow... but also my hospital will quarantine me until a negative covid test... only a day or two now but extra time off work
That is my problem. Something tells me this is going to be a lot of effort to accomplish in December when the stock tires are going to be a disaster. Looks like my attempt to get winter tires installed has failed so I have to figure out how to get tires locally installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
That is my problem. Something tells me this is going to be a lot of effort to accomplish in December when the stock tires are going to be a disaster. Looks like my attempt to get winter tires installed has failed so I have to figure out how to get tires locally installed.
Tire rack, ship to a local installer along with the wheels you want.
      12-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #12
CharlieHustle32
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

Quote:
My pickup date is march 5th and driving back to jersey over that weekend praying we don't have snow by then
Appreciate 0