BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Paired: Dinan Catback + non-res AA EL (Build Thread + Vids!!!)

07-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Paired: Dinan Catback + non-res AA EL (Build Thread + Vids!!!)

//Open Rant

Updating our community for posterity and to possibly forewarn potential Dinan customers.

I just called Dinan, again, this morning: what an extremely RUDE customer service. When will companies start realizing that is all about customer experience, and not solely about their products????

1. They of course could not guarantee that their M2C catback would work with the EL midpipe - their exhaust is designed to work with OEM setups (caveat emptor - fully acknowledged that statement)
2. However, I offered to be a test subject for them and try to install their catback exhaust and mate it with AA EL midpipe.

They flat out stated (rudely I might add) that they don't work with Active Autowerke (they actually referred to 'that company' in a half-scornful tone, wouldn't even name them), and will not assist me in trying to make this happen. By assisting, what I meant is: me ordering their exhaust, and jointly collaborate to identify what brackets, elbows connecting pieces, cutting points etc. a custom muffler shop would require to fabricate to make this happen.

This is despite my assertion that this will likely lead to multiple new Dinan catback exhaust orders for them if it works at cleaning the raspiness, improving the low end growl, etc. I mentioned how active I am on this forum, thus it will gain a lot of visibility as many of us are still searching for the ultimate S55 exhaust setup.

This experience is 180 degrees opposite from the one when I called and visited Active Autowerke: Rob, Andrew couldn't be more pleasing, down to earth guys, BMW & car enthusiasts.

YMMV

//Close Rant

P.S. after the obligatory cool-off period, I ordered the Dinan catback exhaust from the great Mike@x-ph.com, likely the Dinan individual I spoke with was having somewhat of a challenging day - it happens to all of us.

Installation updates to follow...stay tuned!

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-15-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Nareck @ FGP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 LBB M2C

Really sorry to hear your bad experience with them. It is really sad to see companies treat customers like this, really no benefit to either party really with that. The active guys really are an amazing group and customer service aside I still hope we get to see an EL paired with the Dinan axleback soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nareck @ FGP View Post
Really sorry to hear your bad experience with them. It is really sad to see companies treat customers like this, really no benefit to either party really with that. The active guys really are an amazing group and customer service aside I still hope we get to see an EL paired with the Dinan axleback soon!
Prior to this extremely sour customer experience with Dinan, my goal was to document to the Bimmerpost community how and what will be required to mate the Dinan catback for M2C platform with AA EL. I even scouted a local custom muffler shop that was willing to experiment and video the progress...

That's the thing...I stated my intent to embark on making this Dinan catback - AA EL pairing work on my own, knowing that it is an unchartered territory. Clearly I realize it isn't a plug-n-play exhaust upgrade, I just wanted to take Dinan along my discovery process and have some open dialogue. It's not like I expected them to design and fabricate any required linking pieces on their dime...

It was clear to me that they wouldn't collaborate in any way, aside from simply selling me the exhaust with the "hey - it works with OEM setup only" disclaimer. The impression I got was that they seemed jealous of AA for designing, releasing a competing & compelling product, and wouldn't want to play in the same 'playground' with AA so to speak.

Well, as a result - they won't get my business for anything that Dinan_Engineering produces and I will inform our community how they treat (potential) customers.
      07-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
FYI...for those slightly interested as to why I wanted to go down on this path.

This is the video that started the whole thing:

This owner has a similar setup as what I was aiming for:
- M4 (S55 motor)
- non resonated AA EL (mostly similar to the M2C AA EL, just slightly longer)
- Dinan M4 catback exhaust
- stock DPs

It seems a few F80/F82 owners have done it, but the Dinan catbacks are different between the M2C and M3/M4 platforms, thus wanted to forge the path.
      07-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

- M4 (S55 motor)
- stock DPs

It seems a few F80/F82 owners have done it, but the Dinan catbacks are different between the M2C and M3/M4 platforms, thus wanted to forge the path.
Maybe try Remus Sport with AA EL unresonated midpipe? I have that setup, except with the AA EL resonated midpipe on the way. Mike@x-ph.com hooked it up. Leaves room downpipes, if still too quiet I figured. Have yet to see a video of that exact setup.

Maybe someone here has seen one 👀?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG_WhiteM2C View Post
Quote:

- M4 (S55 motor)
- stock DPs

Maybe try Remus Sport with AA EL unresonated midpipe? I have that setup, except with the AA EL resonated midpipe on the way. Mike@x-ph.com hooked it up. Leaves room downpipes, if still too quiet I figured. Have yet to see a video of that exact setup.

You have that setup installed or that setup on order? The Sport and resonated midpipe
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

On order. Should arrive in another month, pending supply/shipping delays.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
There are several AA EL 'safer but solid-pairing options', and Remus, AA axleback likely the most common ones.

While I like what I hear from these pairings (at least what I can discern from YouTube quality vids), the Dinan - non res AA EL sounds absolutely bonkers good, better than anything I have heard in any BMW, any model lineup. Period. That js why I am willing to go through the hassle to have the Dinan installed/mated with the AA EL knowing that customization will be required, but the resulting sound will be soo worth it.

PS I searched and searched…to my knowledge, there aren't any Dinan - AA EL pairing for the M2C platform.
      07-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #9
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On order. Should arrive in another month, pending supply/shipping delays.
Yeah…good luck mate, hope you get it soon. Supply/demand issues disrupted every industry, my work is also affected (primarily chips and electronic equipment components).

Also: every axleback that I have heard on ye-olde-internet does clean up the sound significantly but also seems to slightly increase the frequency or pitch (more racy notes).

The video of the Dinan one I posted above cleans up the sound as well as lowering the pitch, giving the impression of a deeper growl, much less turbo per se - which is I am ultimately after.
      07-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #10
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Quote:
Quote:

- M4 (S55 motor)
- stock DPs

You have that setup installed or that setup on order? The Sport and resonated midpipe
@Nicname - I think you and I are in the same boat…did you ever finalize an backbox/axleback decision to pair with the AA EL?

Remus Sport - non resonated AA EL is probably the most safe and rasp free choice.

Remus Race - any EL…I fear it will be too much for me

AA valved axleback - non res AA EL…well, this can be a tie with Remus Sport - non res EL

MPE and Akra are out of my price range, so I don't even search anything about them.

Which leaves Dinan as the most compelling backbox pairing with non res AA EL, so long as custom fabrication/installation is your thing.
      07-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Updating this thread, and will continue to do so.

I had a knee-jerk reaction (understandable I suppose after the sour CSR experience with Dinan). However, I went to my go-to aftermarket vendor who is always top notch, attentive and polite Mike@x-ph.com.

Dinan catback for M2C ordered. I should be getting it early/mid Aug. I already lined up a custom exhaust shop for the install, so I will document what is needed to hook up the Dinan catback exhaust with the non-res AA EL.

Stand by y'all!
      07-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Reviewing the installation instructions, it seems that I would not need the x-pipe that Dinan provides (the AA EL already has it). I suppose at the end of the day, this will become a Dinan axleback.

Excited to be the pilot/beta installer for our M2C community as I haven't seen the AA EL paired up with the Dinan exhaust.
StephGOD218.50
      07-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Ok…here is how the M2C Dinan catback exhaust should come (first 2 pictures)

The last picture is of my M2C, with the AA non res midpipe. I believe that the x-pipe that Dinan setup comes with is superfluous, but here is what I am thinking:

1. cut the existing exhaust around the differential (red lines mark ups)

2. Weld the exhaust where the existing clamps are (blue circles) - I don'l like the clamping system from AA, so welding these points will minimize any possible rattles or exhaust leaks.

3. Weld exhaust to where cuts were made in step 1

4. Install the 'muffler/axle back' exhaust + actuators for the flaps (regular axleback installation).

Sounds somewhat straightforward for most exhaust shops…
Attached Images

07-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im sorry to hear about your experience with Dinan, but excited to hear how this setup sounds

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im sorry to hear about your experience with Dinan, but excited to hear how this setup sounds
Thanks Mike, stuff happens, likely the Dinan individual was having a rough day...

As always, a pleasure interacting with you, and happy to support your business...especially for hooking me up with the Dinan exhaust and non res AA EL!

Like I said, I will continue to update this thread once I receive it & start installing it...I am sure many will follow suit if this proves successful, which I am positive it will (I prefer the lower/deeper rumble the Dinan has vs. Remus/MPE/Akra etc.)!

Last question: is Dinan still on track to ship it tomorrow as it says on the website (Estimated shipping date: 07/30/2021)?
      07-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks Mike, stuff happens, likely the Dinan individual was having a rough day...

As always, a pleasure interacting with you, and happy to support your business...especially for hooking me up with the Dinan exhaust and non res AA EL!

Like I said, I will continue to update this thread once I receive it & start installing it...I am sure many will follow suit if this proves successful, which I am positive it will (I prefer the lower/deeper rumble the Dinan has vs. Remus/MPE/Akra etc.)!

Last question: is Dinan still on track to ship it tomorrow as it says on the website (Estimated shipping date: 07/30/2021)?
As of now , it still shows the same ETA with availibility on 07/30

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #17
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

As of now , it still shows the same ETA with availibility on 07/30
Cool beans…hopefully shipping date will stick!
      08-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #18
phallanen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw m2c

i just got my dinan exhaust with my aa pipes on my 2019 m2c, sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 12:31 AM   #19
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallanen View Post
How awesome…thanks for chiming in!

A few questions:
- How long did it take you to get your Dinan exhaust? I just ordered mine about 1.5 weeks ago…
- Also, what AA midpipe are you using, single, non res or resonated EL?
- How was the installation? Did you follow something like my route (see picture with possible cut and weld points on a non res EL). If so, I presume the provided x-pipe isn’t needed…

Lastly…can you upload any videos?
      08-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #20
gregorypeddle
Rep
Drives: 135i

Would it work if you kept the x pipe and bought the Milltek OPF delete pipes?
https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/sho...ipe-70mm-2-75/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorypeddle View Post
Would it work if you kept the x pipe and bought the Milltek OPF delete pipes?
https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/sho...ipe-70mm-2-75/
Not sure…looks like you're inquiring about an Euro spec M2C.

How far back does the OPF delete pipe go? Post up some pictures so we can visually gauge where the cut points would be.
      08-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #22
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallanen View Post
Do you have some videos? I'm watching this thread for a possible similar setup on my M2CS.