BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Really torn -- to ppf or not?

07-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #67
shortribs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i (Track) 328XiA (DD)

OP, to add another data point: no surprise, but PPF is all about the skill of the individual performing the actual install. A top reputable local shop here in MA who does all sort of exotica actually mangled the full front on my $90K Land Cruiser Heritage Edition with <100miles, despite having the Xpel pre-cut pattern to work with. Uneven coverage, gaps, etc. They redid the entire job with their top installer (show car guy...) and the install was a night and day improvement, but not before they nicked the front bumper in a couple spots in the process, likely due to an errant x-acto blade. Seriously, groan - for a $2000 install you would hope that the car comes out better than it went in, but YMMV.

That said, I still plan to PPF my inbound M2C. Any good recommendations in the Greater Boston area folks?
Foggins1334.50
      07-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #68
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I cant see spending that money on it.
Nope. But I will probably do small amount of 3M myself behind the rear tires.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #69
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Kind of interesting reading the comments here; didn't realize there was such a division over something so trivial as PPF.

I've owned my M2C for close to 2 years now, and because I PPF'ed nearly the entire car, it looks (not even joking here) more or less like it did on Day 1 of delivery.

Not. A. Single. Scratch/Imperfection/Dent/etc. I've driven over crap roads, gravel, etc......XPEL just continues to amaze me.

I've owned cars in the past before where I never did PPF and 2 years later, it looked like someone took a shotgun to the front end of the car, lol.

It's just awful to me.
This is a perfect response, and will be the same result for 90% of owners that pay attention/look closely at their cars.

This is the area in front of my driver's side rear wheel. All those white specks are chips, or issues with the OEM PPF. Once the PPF is removed it'll be perfect or damn near it underneath, but all around that area won't be.

My car is in paint right now, but once it's done I'm having nearly the entire car PPF'd.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MMMBRAP975.50
Foggins1334.50
      07-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #70
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
This is a perfect response, and will be the same result for 90% of owners that pay attention/look closely at their cars.

This is the area in front of my driver's side rear wheel. All those white specks are chips, or issues with the OEM PPF. Once the PPF is removed it'll be perfect or damn near it underneath, but all around that area won't be.

My car is in paint right now, but once it's done I'm having nearly the entire car PPF'd.
Nice! Yeah, I had my PPF guy remove the OEM PPF on the rear quarter panel prior to XPEL. Based on what I've researched, OEM PPF is nowhere as good as XPEL and will also yellow over time.

Another benefit I've discovered from PPF - washing the car is far easier.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #71
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Based on what I've researched, OEM PPF is nowhere as good as XPEL and will also yellow over time.
That's absolutely true. My OEM PPF is already a bit yellow after only 3 years and 19,000 miles. Compare that to the XPel I had put on the Lotus in 2014 that looks brand new. All that little OEM patch of PPF did for BMW owners is prove without a doubt that it should have been bigger the moment it comes off.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
      07-28-2021, 11:32 PM   #72
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

To show how clueless I am on the topic, I didn't realise a yearly inspection is required for PPF/Ceramic - at whatever fee the shop chooses to charge - to maintain the warranty.

Are folks this concerned about the warranty to do so or is this just a tidy bit of recurring revenue for the installer?
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #73
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
To show how clueless I am on the topic, I didn't realise a yearly inspection is required for PPF/Ceramic - at whatever fee the shop chooses to charge - to maintain the warranty.

Are folks this concerned about the warranty to do so or is this just a tidy bit of recurring revenue for the installer?
I have never heard of such a thing. Sounds like your installer is feeding you a line of bullshit.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
      07-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #74
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Quote:
I have never heard of such a thing. Sounds like your installer is feeding you a line of bullshit.
Ya that is what I thought - that's for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #75
Uscray
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post

My local detail shop does not have a yearly maintenance for PPF. There is a yearly maintenance for ceramic pro. They basically wash it and apply an sport layer of ceramic pro on top of the coating.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #76
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Am I the only one who hates PPF, Im still getting the ugly, yellowed junk off the front of my M2, it weighed a few kg, still involves aggressive cleaner to get rid of the glue.

Before anyone says its the bad product I have yet to see any PPF that looks as good as factory paint. I'd rather have a few honest stone chips than plastic films that get hazy, yellows and isn't as nice as factory paint.

I have an 8k mile GT3 that has done a few track days and has two tiny marks. I'd need to point them out, my M2 now has 3-4 stone chips, neither have ugly plastic at silly prices covering them.

Thousand of £$ for plastic wrap, why not get seat covers too ?
Appreciate 2
Uscray134.00
omasou2088.00
      08-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #77
Uscray
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Am I the only one who hates PPF, Im still getting the ugly, yellowed junk off the front of my M2, it weighed a few kg, still involves aggressive cleaner to get rid of the glue.

Before anyone says its the bad product I have yet to see any PPF that looks as good as factory paint. I'd rather have a few honest stone chips than plastic films that get hazy, yellows and isn't as nice as factory paint.

I have an 8k mile GT3 that has done a few track days and has two tiny marks. I'd need to point them out, my M2 now has 3-4 stone chips, neither have ugly plastic at silly prices covering them.

Thousand of £$ for plastic wrap, why not get seat covers too ?
Everyone has to decide what is important to them. I have never had a PPF to yellow and if it did most now have 10 year warranties and will replace them for no cost. I hate scratches and rock chips so for me it is worth it. But for some that just want to drive the car and don't care about blemishes, save the money and spend it on performance modifications.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #78
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post

The XPel I got on my Lotus 6 years ago shows no signs of yellowing, and looks absolutely as good as the paint. Factory PPF will never compare. The Xpel actually looked better than the factory paint in the beginning, like the car was wet (noticeable only if you looked closely).

You have a few honest stone chips? You sure about that? If so, that's great! However, most guys have a lot, they just don't look close enough to see.

My M2 has 18,000 easy miles on it, has never seen a track or a gravel road, and the pictures below are of my driver's side rocker that I just had replaced.

First pic is from about 3 feet above, then they get progressively closer.

Oh, and that rocker is dead clean, everything you see there is a rock scrape (white) or a rock chip (white/black).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #79
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
The XPel I got on my Lotus 6 years ago shows no signs of yellowing, and looks absolutely as good as the paint. Factory PPF will never compare. The Xpel actually looked better than the factory paint in the beginning, like the car was wet (noticeable only if you looked closely).

You have a few honest stone chips? You sure about that? If so, that's great! However, most guys have a lot, they just don't look close enough to see.

My M2 has 18,000 easy miles on it, has never seen a track or a gravel road, and the pictures below are of my driver's side rocker that I just had replaced.

First pic is from about 3 feet above, then they get progressively closer.

Oh, and that rocker is dead clean, everything you see there is a rock scrape (white) or a rock chip (white/black).
Please tell me that this damage on the rocker panel is not normal? I’ve seen quite a few used M2’s and I don’t recall seeing damage that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #80
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Please tell me that this damage on the rocker panel is not normal? I’ve seen quite a few used M2’s and I don’t recall seeing damage that bad.
I'll bet you didn't look close enough. That's why I posed the FIRST picture. It's hardly noticeable at all...until you get closer.

It's normal on the one's I've seen. Some colors hide it more than others, of course, but it's there. Again, 18,000 miles, no gravel, no tracking, 3.5 mile commute to work on decent roads. I will say that I do drive my car in Winter, and my town does use cinders. I'll also say that I bought the car with 9,400 miles on it, and it had many of these chips already, but still got more over the last 8,000 miles when you'd think very few would be added.

Maybe it's a good idea to do a physical poll? You know, post a close-up picture of your non-PPF rocker panel (in sunlight) in that area, along with your mileage.

Anyone else want to play?
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      08-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #81
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It is true. I never notice it but after washing. Look above and bellow the factory ppf at the rockers and there are tons if tiny micro chips
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      10-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #82
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I think I'm one of the few that hates PPF, it yellows shows lines everywhere and will need to come off and when it does. Your in for a journey of aggressive solvents for the next 12-18m as when you think its all gone, you will see more come to light the next time it gets dirty

I took the disgusting junk off last summer I am still removing the glue from crevasses

6k miles later I have a few more stone chips, that look miles better than yellowing plastic. A full wrap will cost 2-3 front PU resprays, maybe more (the paint often ages and decolours on PU's anyway). A full wrap will add 5+kg in the wrong place

It's something 10 years ago we didn't know we needed, now I hear people telling me its essential. I have one, yes one stone chip on my GT3 with 8k miles and a few track days. I bet it would take 30 minutes for someone to find it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      10-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #83
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I was torn too, so I opted for the "standard" Xpel kit, $799 installed by the biggest/best Xpel installer in AZ/CA. VERY happy with the results - virtually impossible to see the seams. Perfect application. Now I have some basic protection without going overboard and spending huge money for more paranoid coverage.
Might I ask who the best in AZ/CA is?
Appreciate 0