BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Paired: Dinan Catback + non-res AA EL (Build Thread + Vids!!!)

08-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #67
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Do you have any drone between 2.5k-3k rpm with flaps open (sport/+)?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #68
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Yeah, very slight drone around 3K; not really noticeable IMO. The droning is I would say is because of/due to the free flowing exhaust pulses the AA EL provides, not the axle back.

With that said, I kind of enjoy the added cabin resonance, especially with ASD off - makes the overall experience

Is your (Remus Sport + resonated AA EL) giving your lots of droning?
      08-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #69
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:
Yeah, very slight drone around 3K; not really noticeable IMO. The droning is I would say is because of/due to the free flowing exhaust pulses the AA EL provides, not the axle back.

With that said, I kind of enjoy the added cabin resonance, especially with ASD off - makes the overall experience

I wouldn't say lots but ideally I'd want no drone. I flip flop between enjoying it because it signals good sounds are too follow and wishing it was just a gradual increase without this drone-ish sound. I'm going to the shop next Friday to see what they say and maybe try some new clamps.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #70
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say lots but ideally I'd want no drone. I flip flop between enjoying it because it signals good sounds are too follow and wishing it was just a gradual increase without this drone-ish sound. I'm going to the shop next Friday to see what they say and maybe try some new clamps.
If you're using the provided clamps/brackets, can you have the shop weld the connection points? This will ensure nothing is loose, no exhaust leaks, rattles etc.

Also, FYI as the axlebacks break in, the exhaust note will change, albeit slightly. Should experience a deeper note though…

What I can absolutely say though, I am 100% happy with my exhaust upgrades: I won't have an itch to mess about anymore. Exhaust upgrade: DONE
      08-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #71
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you're using the provided clamps/brackets, can you have the shop weld the connection points? This will ensure nothing is loose, no exhaust leaks, rattles etc.

Also, FYI as the axlebacks break in, the exhaust note will change, albeit slightly. Should experience a deeper note though…

What I can absolutely say though, I am 100% happy with my exhaust upgrades: I won't have an itch to mess about anymore. Exhaust upgrade: DONE
I'm glad you've found peace after all the issues we've seen on the forums. If I fix this tiny issue I too believe I'll be done forever.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #72
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you've found peace after all the issues we've seen on the forums. If I fix this tiny issue I too believe I'll be done forever.
10-4 and thanks!!

Resonated AA EL + Remus Sport is the premier exhaust choice for the S55, especially if one isn't looking for an over the top loud option; so as your muffler breaks in, it should quiet down some, with little or no unwanted drone.
      08-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #73
Drew415
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Comp

@No_curebimmer can you post some more vids? 😁
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #74
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew415 View Post
Yeah sure - will try to take some more in the upcoming days.
      08-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #75
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nicname - did you get the slight drone fixed?
      08-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #76
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
FYI..I'm selling the X-Pipe (midpipe section) that came with the entire Dinan setup: I have no need for it since I already have the AA EL.

Someone make me a reasonable offer...see the classifieds here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...27&postcount=1
      09-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #77
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quick question...
I see many systems that are adapting other mfgs back box to the AA EL

It seems to me that the AA Valved Rear Axle-back Exhaust would be an easier installation.
Is the AA back box sound that much worse than the others?
It even looks similar to the Dinan
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #78
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quick question...
I see many systems that are adapting other mfgs back box to the AA EL

It seems to me that the AA Valved Rear Axle-back Exhaust would be an easier installation.
Is the AA back box sound that much worse than the others?
It even looks similar to the Dinan
Well, sound is very subjective, and muffler size/dimensions don't always translate equally across manufacturers. So it isn't that the AA muffler is an inferior product, it just sounds different than the Dinan due to the internal baffles and resonators (sound is nothing but resonating frequency, so the secret sauce is how each manufacturer manages the sound that travels through the muffler/piping).

With that said, when I listened to vids of non-res AA EL paired with their own AA axleback, I still heard raspiness in the system, and raspiness was one of the things I wanted to eradicate from my exhaust.

As I posted above, I also found the Dinan axleback to have a lower frequency than Remus, AA, MPE, etc.

IMO…the AA muffler paired with their EL didn't sound too much different (to me at least) than the EL on its own…

Hope this helps - I HAVE ZERO REGRETS w.r.t. Dinan axleback + non res AA EL
      09-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #79
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #80
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew415 View Post
I have taken some more vids…some angry stationary redline revs and drive-bys, I'll post after this week's business trip.

I have lived with this setup for about 1 month: I don't have any misgivings about it, definitely 100% worthy upgrade! I am actually looking forward to starting the car in the AM (with the stock exhaust, and even after installing the AA EL, I was cringing in anticipation for the possible raspiness at start up).

Sidebar: my M2C is 6 speed, and I do like to rev up the car once in a while as I wait for the green light; w/ AA EL only, I had a terrible raspberry farty noise around 1,500 RPM, which made me stop revving altogether out of embarrassment.

Now - it's an absolute pleasure to 'vroom vroom' it, and even I overdo it while taking off, deliberately keeping the clutch pedal down a little longer while pumping the gas.

This upgraded exhaust sound is addicting and visceral: definitely it had increased my enjoyment by a solid 40-50%

I cannot recommend Dinan axeback + non res AA EL enough!!
      06-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #81
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Ok I’m in sold.
Thanks for the research, thread and videos.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #82
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria330 View Post
Ok I’m in sold.
Thanks for the research, thread and videos.
Yeah, you won't regret it! I am certainly not looking back…one of the best mods for the S55 motor!
      07-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #83
MMRlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats!!!

Im happy to hear you finally got it fixed. Sounds great BTW!!
Mike I will be reaching out to you in the future to get this once I have enough in my car spending account. Any of you guys live in CA if so how did you get past the SMOG test I am thinking if I do welding it will be permanent and will be harder for me to sell in the future in case someone from CA wants to buy or I want to bring it back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #84
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Paired: Dinan Catback + non-res AA EL (Build Thread + Vids!!!)

Don't know for sure in Cali, but in TX we also have emission testing- I had no issue getting passed/registered with AA EL + Dinan axleback exhaust setup.

Does California do visual inspection or just OBDII testing? If the latter, and if you have the OEM DPs (or catted down pipes) then you should be good to go - no errors should be thrown (not 1000% sure, but pretty certain).

PS be aware that in going down this exhaust route, the burbles will greatly increase, especially in Sport+ mode. Cali is very strict when messing about w/ DME, so I wouldn't tune it, which will leave only the BimmerLink option which turns them Off completely. But in doing so, I feel my car isn't as alive and responsive. The nice thing about say BM3 tune, you can minimize the burbles intensity and duration to make it the car less of a teenager hooligan, apparently w/o impacting the motor performance

See this thread where I posted video comparo, burbles On vs Off.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28636048
      07-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #85
MMRlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Don't know for sure in Cali, but in TX we also have emission testing- I had no issue getting passed/registered with AA EL + Dinan axleback exhaust setup.

Does California do visual inspection or just OBDII testing? If the latter, and if you have the OEM DPs (or catted down pipes) then you should be good to go - no errors should be thrown (not 1000% sure, but pretty certain).

PS be aware that in going down this exhaust route, the burbles will greatly increase, especially in Sport+ mode. Cali is very strict when messing about w/ DME, so I wouldn't tune it, which will leave only the BimmerLink option which turns them Off completely. But in doing so, I feel my car isn't as alive and responsive. The nice thing about say BM3 tune, you can minimize the burbles intensity and duration to make it the car less of a teenager hooligan, apparently w/o impacting the motor performance

See this thread where I posted video comparo, burbles On vs Off.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28636048
Thank you so much for this I will meet with my buddy this weekend to ask him about how they do the inspections its been a while since I have had it tested because for new cars I believe we have 8 years until we need to do it or if there is a transfer in ownership. Thank you for the feedback and the reply!
Appreciate 0