BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

03-08-2020, 11:34 PM   #353
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
So the issue is that the OBD Agent isn't detected by the Client software, which in your case, is a web browser... Sorry for my confusion; I wasn't sure what you meant by BM3 isn't detecting it.

You could try re-installing everything, delete the Agent software and download it again. I have, but rarely use a laptop to flash myself. I use an OBD Agent device (Raspberry Pi) and my phone to flash. You've reminded me to do another post about my setup actually.

Sorry I haven't been much help
Actually, you just reminded me I bought one of those over a year ago but never used it and everything worked just fine. So you were a great help! *Beers on me.

*Beers may be redeemed only in Dallas, Texas

Edit: still need to find out what the issue was tho...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #354
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I attached the screenshot. I'm trying to flash my stock tune and relock dme for visit to the dealer. I can't even use the offline mode since it's not detecting the obd agent.
Quick answer/solution is use Google Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari.

Background: Issue has to do with the Safari browser, due to recent changes to enforcing HTTPS on www.bootmod3.net and developers behind the Safari browser haven't yet updated their handling for certain things that Google Chrome and Firefox did already.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #355
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Quick answer/solution is use Google Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari.

Background: Issue has to do with the Safari browser, due to recent changes to enforcing HTTPS on www.bootmod3.net and developers behind the Safari browser haven't yet updated their handling for certain things that Google Chrome and Firefox did already.
Thank you. I will try chrome when I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #356
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Please someone explain OTS maps on BM3.

What I don't get is the whole 'pick a tuner' thing.

Does one BM3 purchase code get you one map whether you like it or not?

How do you find a good tuner e.g. I read about pro tuning freaks and someone named Paul ...(forgot surname)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #357
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Please someone explain OTS maps on BM3.

What I don't get is the whole 'pick a tuner' thing.

Does one BM3 purchase code get you one map whether you like it or not?

How do you find a good tuner e.g. I read about pro tuning freaks and someone named Paul ...(forgot surname)
OTS (Off the Shelf) maps are maps that have been designed to work with every car, within the restrictions that are listed. In other words, as long as you have the required mods and fuel quality, the OTS maps should work well.

A custom map will be created specific to your vehicle (and it's mods), environment (ambient temps throughout the year) and fuel that you have access to. It's a better option but it costs more money and you'll have to work with your selected tuner to gather data (logs) to get the tune dialled in.

When you buy BM3, you can choose if you want a single OTS map, or you can buy the OTS map package that includes all of the OTS maps. If you think you're going to start at Stage 1 and then add more mods to get to Stage 2 at some point, the OTS maps package makes sense.

You don't need to pick a tuner unless you want a custom map. As for who you pick, that's up to you... which restaurant do you go to eat dinner? There is no right answer to this... do your research, work with someone that has a good reputation and agree a price for the work you want doing.... or don't, and just use the OTS maps.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      03-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #358
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
In my opinion, the OTS maps are so good for M2-EWG that unless I've upgraded turbos and fueling I don't see a need for Custom Tune.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #359
Nezil
Major
Rep

Anyone seeing an issue with logging over the last week? I've been trying to capture some new logs, and the dashboard screen appears to capture, but then there is nothing in the catalogs section of the app...

This is a relatively new problem; my most recent log before it stopped working was 03/02.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #360
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone seeing an issue with logging over the last week? I've been trying to capture some new logs, and the dashboard screen appears to capture, but then there is nothing in the catalogs section of the app...

This is a relatively new problem; my most recent log before it stopped working was 03/02.
Have u reached out to support@protuningfreaks.com ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #361
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Have u reached out to support@protuningfreaks.com ?
No, but I might do that. I’m always cautious about bothering them with user error, so I check here first. Are you saying that you’re able to capture logs at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #362
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:

Last few app updates has made it extremely laggy that it takes 5 seconds before log starts and 5 seconds to stop a log, even in my high power Samsung s10.

Be sure to put in a ticket as I have to work out bugs. FYI the android app is several versions behind the web version. So an upcoming update may help
      03-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #363
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #364
Nezil
Major
Rep

A quick update on the logging issue I was having... I force updated the OBD Agent software, and that solved the issue. All of the logs I'd created previously also showed up, which was weird, but at least they're there now.

So... user error... not exactly, but updating everything worked fine.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #365
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
... rarely use a laptop to flash myself. I use an OBD Agent device (Raspberry Pi) and my phone to flash. You've reminded me to do another post about my setup actually
I'd be interested in a post about your set up! You mentioned your set up on one of the dashcam threads and it seemed interesting. Something about running a 12v line from the front fuse box stepped down to 5v and run through the OBDOII port and spliced into the Ethernet cable?

I'm just getting into the BM3 thing so I've got to read all the info, trying to workout the if the PI4 will work.
      05-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #366
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I tried to look for some numbers and upgrade paths but there are so many variables that it's hard to find answers. So I'm gonna describe my situation and hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Stock 2017 M2. Assuming the engine was slightly underrated it could probably put down 340ish whp (depending on the dyno).

I'm on the west coast of Canada at sea level and only have access to 94 octane which most people say is not very good.

From what I found out I could probably get to 380whp with IC, DP with high flow cat, and BM3 OTS tune. At that point I will be getting close to the HPFP and stock turbo limits. Right? Wrong?

I think I'll be happy with that for a while but if I were to take it a step further, which next step would be the most logical:

1. turbo
2. HPFP
3. custom tune to deal with local gas and air quality
4. combination of the above or something else?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #367
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I tried to look for some numbers and upgrade paths but there are so many variables that it's hard to find answers. So I'm gonna describe my situation and hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Stock 2017 M2. Assuming the engine was slightly underrated it could probably put down 340ish whp (depending on the dyno).

I'm on the west coast of Canada at sea level and only have access to 94 octane which most people say is not very good.

From what I found out I could probably get to 380whp with IC, DP with high flow cat, and BM3 OTS tune. At that point I will be getting close to the HPFP and stock turbo limits. Right? Wrong?

I think I'll be happy with that for a while but if I were to take it a step further, which next step would be the most logical:

1. turbo
2. HPFP
3. custom tune to deal with local gas and air quality
4. combination of the above or something else?
The 94 octane in Canada is actually very good, but only at select pumps. What I (and many Canadian tuners) have found is petro Canada and Chevron 94 octane behaves like 91 octane. I'm not sure if it is the additives but that gas really sucks imo. Husky 94 is legitimate 94, and it is even better than really good US 93. The only con is I don't think there is much husky 94 in BC, it's mostly in Alberta. The reason why most people say Canadian 94 sucks is because alot of the forum members from Canada are from outside of Alberta (it's subaru and gtr heavy in AB) where husky 94 is not widely available, so the stigma has unfortunately stuck.

My opinion is to focus on supporting mods first, go HPFP, lpfp, fuel filter, fuel lines, turbo inlet, diverter valve, chargepipes, intercooler etc. Before you move onto the big power adders like a turbo. This has always been a key factor in modifying cars and keeping them reliable, you will notice this trend more and more in cars with less sophisticated ecu's and weaker engines, as this is the only safe way to mod cars. This may not be "fun" because you will notice almost nothing for the large amount of money you put in. But you need a strong foundation if you want to make that power reliably.
      05-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #368
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I have a UniCarScan UCSI-2000 OBD to Bluetooth connector.
After having read through a few installation instructions of BM3 I cannot find any info that the mobile phone app can connect to a Bluetooth ODB connector, instead a wifi-hotspot or ethernet-cable between the OBD port and a laptop.

Is it really so that a bluetooth connection is not supported?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #369
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I have a UniCarScan UCSI-2000 OBD to Bluetooth connector.
After having read through a few installation instructions of BM3 I cannot find any info that the mobile phone app can connect to a Bluetooth ODB connector, instead a wifi-hotspot or ethernet-cable between the OBD port and a laptop.

Is it really so that a bluetooth connection is not supported?

Thanks in advance!
No, Bluetooth is not supported and it’s not safe for flashing even if it were. This is because it’s slow and includes all sorts of power saving features that could cause a disconnection during a flash.

The best way to set up a BM3 system is to permanently connect a Raspberry Pi to the OBD port with an E-Net cable. This gives you a safe, hardwired way to flash, which you control using your phone and WiFi. Technically, all flashing happens wired; the phone just starts the process and is used as an internet connection for the Raspberry Pi to download the flash files the first time.
Appreciate 2
Fedorov160.50
SCCThree808.50
      05-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #370
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Alright, so I flashed Stage1 93 Oct (98RON) since I always use Shell V-power or 98RON.
I haven't dared go all out since I have an appointment to upgrade the charge pipe.

But one thing I noticed and need to ask about. With the tune installed I notice a slight whistling sound even at moderate acceleration. It does not get louder when pushing it harder. I flashed back to stock to see if it was still there because I fiddled with the airbox just before installing the tune. But with stock tune there is no whistle even when pushing it to the max.

So what could cause this sound in the fairly mild Stage 1 tune? I mean, even at moderate acceleration..

I realize maybe it says something similar about this in this thread but it's starting to get quite an extensive thread to search through...

This is a link to a datalog of a moderate acceleration, if anyone were to be so kind and have a look if anything looks bad. I have no experience in data log examination..
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...90c659c2c9f4cf

I got the tip to try 98RON instead of VPower 99RON which I will when the tank runs empty.
Also, small update: Since I had to remove the airfilter air tube because of an unexpected "dropping of something into the engine bay" I double checked the tightening of the clamp for the air tube and there was room to tighten it more which I did and I would sort of say that the "whistle sound" diminished by about 80-90% after that..

Last edited by Fedorov; 05-21-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #371
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Alright, so I flashed Stage1 93 Oct (98RON) since I always use Shell V-power or 98RON.
I haven't dared go all out since I have an appointment to upgrade the charge pipe.

But one thing I noticed and need to ask about. With the tune installed I notice a slight whistling sound even at moderate acceleration. It does not get louder when pushing it harder. I flashed back to stock to see if it was still there because I fiddled with the airbox just before installing the tune. But with stock tune there is no whistle even when pushing it to the max.

So what could cause this sound in the fairly mild Stage 1 tune? I mean, even at moderate acceleration..

I realize maybe it says something similar about this in this thread but it's starting to get quite an extensive thread to search through...

This is a link to a datalog of a moderate acceleration, if anyone were to be so kind and have a look if anything looks bad. I have no experience in data log examination..

I got the tip to try 98RON instead of VPower 99RON which I will when the tank runs empty.
Also, small update: Since I had to remove the airfilter air tube because of an unexpected "dropping of something into the engine bay" I double checked the tightening of the clamp for the air tube and there was room to tighten it more which I did and I would sort of say that the "whistle sound" diminished by about 80-90% after that..
What exhaust do you have?
Appreciate 1
Fedorov160.50
      05-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #372
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:

Difficult to judge anything from a "moderate acceleration" datalog. If you'd like to get some actual meaningful data and have people analyze it you'll need to take a true WOT log. It'll give us a much better idea of how your fuel is and how the tune is for your specific vehicle and conditions!

Start in third gear, 2500 RPM, DSC OFF and go WOT. Keep the vehicle pinned until about 6500 RPM. Single third gear runs work well, however if you have the room and are able to shift into 4th and carry that to 6500 RPM then you'll have even better data to be analyzed!
Appreciate 1
Fedorov160.50
      05-24-2020, 02:10 AM   #373
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:

What exhaust do you have?
It's all stock
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #374
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Quote:

Difficult to judge anything from a "moderate acceleration" datalog. If you'd like to get some actual meaningful data and have people analyze it you'll need to take a true WOT log. It'll give us a much better idea of how your fuel is and how the tune is for your specific vehicle and conditions!

Start in third gear, 2500 RPM, DSC OFF and go WOT. Keep the vehicle pinned until about 6500 RPM. Single third gear runs work well, however if you have the room and are able to shift into 4th and carry that to 6500 RPM then you'll have even better data to be analyzed!
Thx man, yes I sort of suspected the log to be a bit dry of useful information..
I will get back with logs when I get my new charge pipe.
Appreciate 0