BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Used BMW with BM/Cary Jordan - Dyno'd

10-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
Check out my post in the Ultimate FMIC thread. I found a great comparison test & logs between the CSF & Wagner EVO II (which is the FMIC I think came on my car).

It was the missing piece of info in my decision making process. That, and now your post. Thanks man!
Peter from Pure - the whole review is up on the N54 and BMS forums. That's the only "logs" I've seen from CSF.
      10-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

OP, did you ever discover which core this is?
      10-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #25
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
OP, did you ever discover which core this is?
I sure did! Just installed the new intercooler. It's the EVO II: 520mm x215mm x145mm

DEFINITELY lower AITs than the Wagner & slower heat soak. When I was sitting still or in slow center-city traffic, the AIT got to +22 (using Torque app) where the Wagner easily would hit +30 or more even on 65-70 degree days. I felt the recovery on the CSF was very fast and it maintained +9-12 vs ambient when driving on the highway where the Wagner ran +10-15 & even +20. I think some of that is attributable to the poor install & busted shroud messing up air flow, possibly.

But I found 2 problems when I did the install:

Prior owner only reinstalled ONE of the bolts that holds the intercooler in place. I think this had to do with the FTP boost pipe & alignment. Couldn't line it back up, so just left it hanging.

And, the shroud that comes off the bumper was busted & I am guessing the hanging intercooler caused it to break. I know that is for directing airflow to the intercooler/radiators so that could have been a problem with the Wagner & not really its performance. If the Wagner is tube/fin, that also explains the heat soak, though too, correct?

I was able to reinstall the CSF & get everything lined up & connected. I had to use duct tape (for now) to hold the shroud in place. Gotta get a new one & install it.

So all of that also explains why I heard a distinct rattle & occasional thudding going over bumps - the FMIC was bouncing around!

The CSF in silver looks WAY better IMO than the black Wagner.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 10-28-2021 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      10-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

DAMN! You're killing it OP. And I would say some of the cooling issues area result of improper ducting and airflow, but it's hard to say how much.

Did you install the CFS with the same chargepipe, and were there any issues? F87source And I were talking about this in another thread, and there might be some aligment issues base on the akward angle of the CFS outlet. I think FaRKle! mentioned it before too.

Do you have any logs that we can compare between the two? (and if not, that's cool too)
      10-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #27
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DAMN! You're killing it OP. And I would say some of the cooling issues area result of improper ducting and airflow, but it's hard to say how much.

Did you install the CFS with the same chargepipe, and were there any issues? F87source And I were talking about this in another thread, and there might be some aligment issues base on the akward angle of the CFS outlet. I think FaRKle! mentioned it before too.

Do you have any logs that we can compare between the two? (and if not, that's cool too)
No, I didn't do any logging - I only recently got Torque after the shop that did my dyno pulls said I had some big heat soak. So didn't learn all that fancy stuff yet. I only took pics of the AITs here & there when the Wagner was installed.

Installation wasn't difficult - but it's "fussy". I'm gonna post about my install experience & hopefully help some others do this themselves.

Basically, had I known at the start everything that would have been involved, I'd say this is a 30 minute job.

The Wagner was not aligned correctly - like, at all. I think that's why the second bolt wasn't there. What I had to do was loosen the C-clips on the charge pipe, and loosen those hose clamps that go around the silicone connectors & play with those to get everything to line up. But it all worked well once I did that. I am gonna go post a new thread about the install.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

OP, did you ever get the shroud replaced, and if so, did you notice any difference?
      12-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #29
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP, did you ever get the shroud replaced, and if so, did you notice any difference?
I can't figure out how to take the entire thing off. I think some plastic gymnastics are necessary. For now I am using gorilla tape.

It's hard to say what has really contributed to improved IATs (when it was still warm out.) It could be the fmic itself (slower soak & faster recovery, doesn't get as hot), that the fmic is now installed correctly or that the shroud is attached, and directing air flow.properly.

It's just that after the install, AITs did improve & quite a bit. I haven't tracked the car yet so all my experience is street driving.
Appreciate 0