BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Used BMW with BM/Cary Jordan - Dyno'd

09-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Used BMW with BM/Cary Jordan - Dyno'd

Back in December I bought a used 2017 M2. It was modified & found out it had Bootmod3 w/ Cary Jordan tune. I took the car in to a local performance shop to get Fortune Auto suspension installed & had them do some dyno pulls to see what they thought of the tune & perhaps if they thought a retune might be a good idea.

Well, they said nope - current tune is impressive & clean as a whistle. Short of more hardware upgrades, not much more they felt could be safely done to make it worth the investment.

Thank you, prior owner!

#1) 401 T / 360 HP
#2) 407 T / 357 HP
#3) 398 T / 332 HP

What a BEAST!
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      09-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

See you have a 6MT, it's worth finding out if you're tune includes the '6MT gearshift load drop fix' that BM3 introduced with the ots v5.9 tunes.

I had a Jordan custom tune, when users started posting positive comments about the load drop fix I inquired with Jordan about having my tune updated to include it, response was along the line "you have it, we've been doing it for a while". I knew I didn't as the lag was present, Jordan just didn't reply to further inquiries from me.

I ended up getting another custom tune done locally which included the load drop fix, on track the improvement in wot shifting was immediate & obvious, no way my Jordan tune had it as they suggested.

As a side the new tune was better on track, less low down torque but pulled better at high rpm without the timing correction issues I had with the Jordan.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #3
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I can't get any updates - BM3/CJ won't work with me at all - I even offered to pay for the tune again. And the prior owner said the license has already been transferred once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
See you have a 6MT, it's worth finding out if you're tune includes the '6MT gearshift load drop fix' that BM3 introduced with the ots v5.9 tunes.

I had a Jordan custom tune, when users started posting positive comments about the load drop fix I inquired with Jordan about having my tune updated to include it, response was along the line "you have it, we've been doing it for a while". I knew I didn't as the lag was present, Jordan just didn't reply to further inquiries from me.

I ended up getting another custom tune done locally which included the load drop fix, on track the improvement in wot shifting was immediate & obvious, no way my Jordan tune had it as they suggested.

As a side the new tune was better on track, less low down torque but pulled better at high rpm without the timing correction issues I had with the Jordan.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      09-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #5
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Any other supporting mods like intercooler or downpipe? How much boost?

Seems like that’s easily 380+ in DynoJet world.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post

It depends on how the Mustang is calibrated. I've been seeing more "happy" reading Mustangs within the last year or two. Only way for OP to tell is to put the car on a DynoJet in similar conditions if the number is important to them.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
It depends on how the Mustang is calibrated. I've been seeing more "happy" reading Mustangs within the last year or two. Only way for OP to tell is to put the car on a DynoJet in similar conditions if the number is important to them.
Interesting! Regardless, I bet it feels strong.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      09-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The prior owner did all of the mods. Found him on here & reached out to him - he was kind enough to clue me in. I saw the intercooler & metal boost/charge pipes & knew something was going on. LOL

He did a Wagner FMIC, FTP pipes, and a sport catted downpipe. Stock CAI & M Perf Exhaust.

I don't care as much about the numbers as I did about "knowing" what was going on, the quality of the tune and if it could be improved - but mostly because I (nor a local shop) have any control over the tune. I would have done a tune with this shop if they thought there was more headroom (they didn't).

The number really doesn't matter to me because it's pretty clear - this thing is performing way better stock. The shop has been around a long time, has an excellent reputation & the owner said if anything, Mustang dynos are more conservative anyway & that I should be pretty happy with the results.

So now that I know the score & that the tune is doing a really good job/not much improvement can be had thru tuning alone, I'm satisfied.

It's a screamer for sure. I'm happy with how it performs & sounds.
Appreciate 1
-Eidos491.00
      10-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
lIt's a screamer for sure. I'm happy with how it performs & sounds.
That’s the recipe on these. Intercooler, Downpipe, and a good tune.

The difference via stock is incredible. The additional torque down low is perfect for street driving and with the upgrades the car makes power all the way to redline vs dropping off a cliff at 5750.

Enjoy your upgraded F87. These things kick ass.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      10-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Mustang dynos generally run about 8% less than a dynojets.

360whp = 389whp Dynojet
3322hp = 359whp dynojet

Strong tune, is it 91 or 93 octane? And the intercooler may be too small, based on how you started losing power basically after 2 pulls.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-01-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Mustang dynos generally run about 8% less than a dynojets.

360whp = 389whp Dynojet
3322hp = 359whp dynojet

Strong tune, is it 91 or 93 octane? And the intercooler may be too small, based on how you started going lose power basically after 2 pulls.
93 octane.

I was wondering about the intercooler. It's the Wagner but can't tell if it's the EVO 1 or 2. I thought Wagners were really good/effective - and not suggesting they're not good intercoolers. Maybe it's the smaller one. (?)

Time to start shopping? HAHAHAHA!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
93 octane.

I was wondering about the intercooler. It's the Wagner but can't tell if it's the EVO 1 or 2. I thought Wagners were really good/effective - and not suggesting they're not good intercoolers. Maybe it's the smaller one. (?)

Time to start shopping? HAHAHAHA!
Well, people will have an opinion of what ‘good’ is, but they aren’t impressive compared to intercoolers half their cost.

What are you planning on doing with the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #13
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, people will have an opinion of what ‘good’ is, but they aren’t impressive compared to intercoolers half their cost.

What are you planning on doing with the car?
I am definitely more street oriented, but I do want to track it. Don't care as much about the numbers as much as I do about the fun/visceral experience of it all. This thing pulls strong as hell as it is - that power drop is kinda big so of course it's just making me wonder. LOL

I did spy that Evolution Racewerks intercooler & did some reading about it. Been reading through the intercooler thread on here - it's pretty awesome. TONS of info in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:47 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am definitely more street oriented, but I do want to track it. Don't care as much about the numbers as much as I do about the fun/visceral experience of it all. This thing pulls strong as hell as it is - that power drop is kinda big so of course it's just making me wonder. LOL

I did spy that Evolution Racewerks intercooler & did some reading about it. Been reading through the intercooler thread on here - it's pretty awesome. TONS of info in there.
I’m on my phone, so I can’t see your location, but:

The ER is great if you don’t live in high ambient temperature region. It’s going to be smaller in mass, so it will it won’t hold heat as well as some others like a Evo 3 or VRSF-R, but it will be about 10lbs lighter.

Just a trade off to keep in mind. Also, if you’re on a budget, I know Mike has the ARM, which carries the same profile as the ER, but isn’t USA made and doesn't look as good (if that matters).

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-04-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #15
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m on my phone, so I can’t see your location, but:

The ER is great if you don’t live in high ambient temperature region. It’s going to be smaller in mass, so it will it won’t hold heat as well as some others like a Evo 3 or VRSF-R, but it will be about 10lbs lighter.

Just a trade off to keep in mind. Also, if you’re on a budget, I know Mike has the ARM, which carries the same profile as the ER, but isn’t USA made and doesn't look as good (if that matters).
I appreciate your replies, bud!

I live in Hartford CT area - but will be moving next year hopefully. Anywhere from N GA to Atlanta.

I gotta pay some more attention to my IATs - but recently, when it was warm I swear to Megadeth I saw upwards of 120+ using Torque on Android. I was just street driving, having some fun. Seemed the IATs were quick to warm up & not all that fast to cool down. And when it cooled down, it was still 20+ degrees over ambient. I would say based on very infrequent checks/use of the app, I am usually 20+ over ambient & real quick to heat up. God forbid it's 85+ ambient out. I've seen crazy hight IATs.

I know there is a Wagner FMIC in there, I can see the logo, just can't tell which model.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #16
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Need to pull some data on my CSF but I can tell you that the southern heat/humidity is no joke. Adding it made a world of difference, but even with it the heat is an issue.

I run 95 octane (aki) exclusively in the summer down here because it’s close by and convenient but if I didn’t have access to it I’d probably drop to the BM3 stage 1 OTS tune out of caution.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      10-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #17
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Need to pull some data on my CSF but I can tell you that the southern heat/humidity is no joke. Adding it made a world of difference, but even with it the heat is an issue.

I run 95 octane (aki) exclusively in the summer down here because it’s close by and convenient but if I didn’t have access to it I’d probably drop to the BM3 stage 1 OTS tune out of caution.
I've read good stuff about the CSF FMIC. I like the ER, too but that is a big honkin' IC. Looks like it belongs on a bus. Might be a bit serious for how I use my car.

Good thing is I know the CSF will work with the FTP charge pipes, too. I was hoping that the car came already modded I'd save some dough as the mods are all high quality... But I think the installed FMIC is more track oriented (based on my observations on it's performance and what I've read in the various FMIC threads.)

I wish I could flip maps but alas... That benefit of BM3 tune is off the table for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your replies, bud!

I live in Hartford CT area - but will be moving next year hopefully. Anywhere from N GA to Atlanta.

I gotta pay some more attention to my IATs - but recently, when it was warm I swear to Megadeth I saw upwards of 120+ using Torque on Android. I was just street driving, having some fun. Seemed the IATs were quick to warm up & not all that fast to cool down. And when it cooled down, it was still 20+ degrees over ambient. I would say based on very infrequent checks/use of the app, I am usually 20+ over ambient & real quick to heat up. God forbid it's 85+ ambient out. I've seen crazy hight IATs.

I know there is a Wagner FMIC in there, I can see the logo, just can't tell which model.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Wagner stuff regardless. They tend to be priced higher and (typically)offer no objective performance benefits over other aftermarket companies. At least on this platform.

What you have said about your intercooler is true, and it will only get worse with higher ambient temperatures and track use.

If you're going to be in GA, you can consider a larger core because it's regularly around mid 80s, so buying with headroom in mind is important.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/at...8181?year=2021

A excellent intercooler can keep IATs 10-20 degrees over ambient, anything more than that is pretty useless in my opinion.

Quote:

To be honest, I've never really seen a good log of the CSF intercooler. By all the specifications, it should be inferior to the ER and other intercoolers. It's got a lower fin count on the external cooler (but more rows...) its shorter (surface area matters) and at 5.5" deep its not even "Large" Yet it has a MASSIVE following on this forum and ONLY this forum.

No one on the F30/F22 side even considers it. If you could, do you mind posting a few logs?

Quote:
I've read good stuff about the CSF FMIC. I like the ER, too but that is a big honkin' IC. Looks like it belongs on a bus. Might be a bit serious for how I use my car.

Good thing is I know the CSF will work with the FTP charge pipes, too. I was hoping that the car came already modded I'd save some dough as the mods are all high quality... But I think the installed FMIC is more track oriented (based on my observations on it's performance and what I've read in the various FMIC threads.)

I wish I could flip maps but alas... That benefit of BM3 tune is off the table for me.
A track oriented IC would never let your temperature get as high as they are.
      10-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #19
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

We should see mid 80s over the weekend. I’ll try and get off my ass and finally get some logs with the CSF before it cools off.

Went with the CSF as they seemed to have a reputation for quality products along with this forum being full of happy users.

I wanted the best performing drop-in unit. Cost wasn’t a major factor. I’m happy with it, and look forward to reviewing some street pulls.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      10-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #20
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We should see mid 80s over the weekend. I’ll try and get off my ass and finally get some logs with the CSF before it cools off.

Went with the CSF as they seemed to have a reputation for quality products along with this forum being full of happy users.

I wanted the best performing drop-in unit. Cost wasn’t a major factor. I’m happy with it, and look forward to reviewing some street pulls.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid intercooler, I just really haven’t seen a lot of data for it. In terms or raw specifications, an ER intercooler ‘should’ be better, but it’s not exactly drop in.

I don’t think you’ll be able to do a good deal better (with 1 exception honestly) with any other ‘drop in’ IC. Did you experience any turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:37 PM   #21
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

No additional lag that I’ve perceived. The difference it made in 90+ degree southern swamp heat was incredible.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT625.50
      10-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #22
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No additional lag that I’ve perceived. The difference it made in 90+ degree southern swamp heat was incredible.
Check out my post in the Ultimate FMIC thread. I found a great comparison test & logs between the CSF & Wagner EVO II (which is the FMIC I think came on my car).

It was the missing piece of info in my decision making process. That, and now your post. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0