BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 720 miles & 40 days - my M2C was towed to the dealership.

03-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #23
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbsigman View Post
Still waiting to hear back from my service advisor as to what the issue is, but looks like they are working on it now. In the BMW Connected app, I can see the caution symbol has disappeared and the next service due date has changed. Progress!

**Edit**
Spoke too soon. Got a call from my service advisor. Yes the battery is shot, but I was accused of leaving the lights on and it's not being covered under warranty. They are also seeing something wrong with the DME and was questioned if the car was tuned. The dealership opened a case with BMW and now they are going to "try to find" if there was a tune on the car. Car will stay at the dealership through next week until they can figure out whats wrong with the DME.
That's a real cunty move by that dealership.

People give Genesis a hard time for customer service, but these kinds of shenanigans are so pervasive at BMW dealerships.

I'm so paranoid about taking this car anywhere bc local dealerships are such trash, at least in the north east.

Maybe when you get down south things start to improve.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:16 AM   #24
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
**Edit**
Spoke too soon. Got a call from my service advisor. Yes the battery is shot, but I was accused of leaving the lights on and it's not being covered under warranty. They are also seeing something wrong with the DME and was questioned if the car was tuned. The dealership opened a case with BMW and now they are going to "try to find" if there was a tune on the car. Car will stay at the dealership through next week until they can figure out whats wrong with the DME.
What?!? Does dealership honestly think you are slapping a tune on during the break-in period
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-24-2021, 03:30 AM   #25
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
If an SA accused me of ANYTHING, I'd have his ass in a wringer very quickly. I would immediately summon the service manager and give him a piece of my mind.

Please out which dealership this occurred at, so that others can avoid it. Still sounds like some minor issue - good luck getting it sorted out.
      03-24-2021, 05:16 AM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Still waiting to hear back from my service advisor as to what the issue is, but looks like they are working on it now. In the BMW Connected app, I can see the caution symbol has disappeared and the next service due date has changed. Progress!

**Edit**
That's a real cunty move by that dealership.

People give Genesis a hard time for customer service, but these kinds of shenanigans are so pervasive at BMW dealerships.

I'm so paranoid about taking this car anywhere bc local dealerships are such trash, at least in the north east.

Maybe when you get down south things start to improve.
It's not only the franchise dealerships; the car repair business in general is a pretty dishonest field.

There is really no reason, in their best interest, for them to play fair, when they have the opportunity in their hands to pounce on the average consumer's ignorance and fear of the unknown - the modern automobile, all in the name of commerce.

I wouldn't be surprise if they call back the OP later today and accuse him tampering with his Flux Capacitor, causing all his blinker fluid to leak out.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:45 AM   #27
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Sorry you are dealing with this BS, but can we actually even leave our lights on anymore?!?! I mean, aren't cars smart enough to turn them off when you turn off the engine, or say a few minutes later so the battery doesn't die?? I dont even remember the last time I left my lights on......
the car is coded from the factory to turn the lights off when the car hits a certain voltage threshold, the battery didnt die from that. at my time in the dealer I have seen the li-ion batteries fail, usually before 1000 miles. Keep in mind this battery has a list price of $1100, dont let them make you pay a bill for this repair.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3903.50
MystroX56289.50
      03-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #28
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's not only the franchise dealerships; the car repair business in general is a pretty dishonest field.

There is really no reason, in their best interest, for them to play fair, when they have the opportunity in their hands to pounce on the average consumer's ignorance and fear of the unknown - the modern automobile, all in the name of commerce.
You are absolutely right, the indys are going the way of the dealerships too, keeping prices just 10-15% lower. I know this well from 15 years of servicing my Mercedes at the best indy in town (or at least used to be). Besides the lower than dealer pricing, the shop was always honest and did what was required to keep the car maintained. No nickel and diming, and they'd even pop on your new tires for $10 each if you pulled up when they weren't busy. Now its all about "you need this and you need that". The other day I went to pick up my car from service and coincidentally one head lamp was out. I would ordinarily do this myself but it was icy out, forecasted to be cold for days, so I asked the tech to swap out both. $50 dollars (they dont charge labor for this)!!!! Shame on me...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #29
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
the car is coded from the factory to turn the lights off when the car hits a certain voltage threshold, the battery didnt die from that. at my time in the dealer I have seen the li-ion batteries fail, usually before 1000 miles. Keep in mind this battery has a list price of $1100, dont let them make you pay a bill for this repair.
That's what I figured. Also, the M2 does not have a $1100 battery as others have said.
Appreciate 1
GoHerd87.50
      03-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #30
Lbsigman
This is my sham shield.
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
What?!? Does dealership honestly think you are slapping a tune on during the break-in period
Obviously, they have no problems passing judgment on common sense and decency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
If an SA accused me of ANYTHING, I'd have his ass in a wringer very quickly. I would immediately summon the service manager and give him a piece of my mind.

Please out which dealership this occurred at, so that others can avoid it. Still sounds like some minor issue - good luck getting it sorted out.
I'm going to wait a few more days to see how things pan out. Believe you me, I'll let everyone know which dealership it is, and the overall experience & outcome, even if it ends out being positive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #31
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:

I'm going to wait a few more days to see how things pan out. Believe you me, I'll let everyone know which dealership it is, and the overall experience & outcome, even if it ends out being positive.
Ask for the battery log form. If the car was sitting at the lot, they were supposed to check the battery every four weeks. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

and when the dealership doesnt find any tune??? I would set up a meeting with the dealership manager and have a discussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Keep in mind this battery has a list price of $1100, dont let them make you pay a bill for this repair.
Please quit spreading this misinformation. The stock battery is a plain-Jane AGM battery, It's not Lithium, it's not magic pixie dust, it's just the same battery you can buy at Pep Boys for ~$150, but with a BMW label.
Paul CS48.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #34
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

I'd escalate to the dealership GM and say it is actually quite impossible to leave your lights on anymore and have the battery die, and then also accusing a new customer of tuning the car immediately is such terrible customer service. If the dealership GM doesn't help, escalate to BMW NA...you shouldn't be paying a dime for this repair. If they keep giving you the runaround, find a different dealer and get a AAA tow to the new dealer. May we ask which shop you're dealing with?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #35
Lbsigman
This is my sham shield.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationSunset View Post
May we ask which shop you're dealing with?
I want to wait for the outcome before I publically post which dealership it is. I want to give them every opportunity to make it right. I did reach out to salesperson at the dealership that I purchased it from (212 miles away) cc'ing his GM requesting a copy of the battery maintenance sheet and providing a brief update to my vehicle and what I am dealing with now. I also CC'd my current SA and the GM as well.

I wonder if the dealership will try to pull some shenanigans and quietly void my warranty? Is there anything I should look for on the service notes that would indicate so or would I have to reach out to BMW NA to confirm?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #36
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

Quote:
I want to wait for the outcome before I publically post which dealership it is. I want to give them every opportunity to make it right. I did reach out to salesperson at the dealership that I purchased it from (212 miles away) cc'ing his GM requesting a copy of the battery maintenance sheet and providing a brief update to my vehicle and what I am dealing with now. I also CC'd my current SA and the GM as well.

I wonder if the dealership will try to pull some shenanigans and quietly void my warranty? Is there anything I should look for on the service notes that would indicate so or would I have to reach out to BMW NA to confirm?
I may be wrong about this, but they generally don't have incentive to void anyone's warranty unless they have service exclusivity on the car. Furthermore, voiding your warranty tees them up for a solid lawsuit that lean heavily in favor of consumers. They may give you a hard time but they shouldn't void your warranty without definitive proof of finding something. Again, I'd get the dealership GM and Service Manager looped in on your issue.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #37
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Hmm your muffler bearing was probably loose..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #38
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Quote:

This is the best way to go. Give them every chance to make things right, compel the selling dealership to provide any and all records of interest, and at every impasse reinforce that this is not the sort of experience that BMW wants a new customer of a performance vehicle to experience, and how this will look to regulatory agencies of note.
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #39
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationSunset View Post
May we ask which shop you're dealing with?
I want to wait for the outcome before I publically post which dealership it is.
You're a better person than I am, I would been done doxx the dealer's info all over the interweb.

But you're playing your cards right so far by getting ahead of the situation and notifying BMW NA because the last thing any franchise dealer wants is bad customer feedback, as they practical beg you to score them a "10"'on the corporate CSI (Customer Service Index) survey. Trust me, BMW has them by their balls when it comes to individual customer satisfaction.

So, I'm positive they'll back down now on their earlier accusations and just give you back your car, without any charge. Just hang in their for the rest of the song and dance..

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ey-scores.html

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #40
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Aren't the DME's locked on the newer cars? And even if OP's car didn't have a locked DME, who in their right mind would tune a car before it was even broken in and had its 1200mile run-in service done? Ridiculous. Once this ordeal is over go find a new dealership OP.
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #41
Lbsigman
This is my sham shield.
Rep

So I got my car back today. The battery was replaced and under "goodwill" , the 1200 miles break in service was completed, and the valvetronic servo motor was faulty and replaced. I spoke to the SA and had a long chat with him about how we should go about speaking to customers who just purchased a new BMW only to have it back at the shop after a few hundred miles being blamed or accused of tampering with the vehicle. I'll admit that I probably jumped the gun, but regardless, I told him out of common sense that many people probably wouldn't tune the car before the break-in service, and more than likely the car would shut down power before the battery voltage gets to a critically low voltage.

I'm still on the wall if I'll ever take the car back to that dealership. Below is my repair slip.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #42
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Quote:
So I got my car back today. The battery was replaced and under "goodwill" , the 1200 miles break in service was completed, and the valvetronic servo motor was faulty and replaced. I spoke to the SA and had a long chat with him about how we should go about speaking to customers who just purchased a new BMW only to have it back at the shop after a few hundred miles being blamed or accused of tampering with the vehicle. I'll admit that I probably jumped the gun, but regardless, I told him out of common sense that many people probably wouldn't tune the car before the break-in service, and more than likely the car would shut down power before the battery voltage gets to a critically low voltage.

I'm still on the wall if I'll ever take the car back to that dealership. Below is my repair slip.

Make sure you give all "1" when you get a survey about the service That's when it counts. Don't go easy on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #43
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Goodwill? Are you kidding me?! I would be causing a fire storm at this stealer...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #44
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Goodwill? Are you kidding me?! I would be causing a fire storm at this stealer...
Hahahaha Long Beach BMW. Yeah that explains a lot right there.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 1
jdubm2c169.00