BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Thoughts on pricing/availability of M2CS Hood?

08-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #23
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Hey, from what I understand, you're a "parts guy."

I have a question but I'm not sure if it's up your avenue..

I was watching YouTube video yesterday, where the installer claimed he was able to get an "OEM" GTS hood (bonnet), for cheap because he was able to source it directly from the manufacturer, of which BMW subcontracts but just without the logos.

Does such an option exist, even on the fringes, were one is able to purchase a hood directly from the manufacture (sans the BMW logos) or is he full of it and it's really a genuine knock-off I'm looking at?

Thanx in advance..

Cue the video to 6:15:
That's an excellent question Poochie,

I can confirm that he is correct, you will find a lot of BMW OE parts are manufactured by a certain companies they outsource to, as it is stamped with the BMW logo the part sells for significantly more.

I'll attach a photo of what I mean, here are two identical parts and the one with the BMW Logo will sell for more, however they are manufactured by the exact same company and are identical (minus the logos)
Audi and Mercedes are the same, I've attached pictures of the Audi Air filter FYI.

An amazing thing to note is also that Aston Martin (older ones) have lots of parts shared with Ford, however if you were to buy the part through Aston, the price is nearly double however the actual part itself is the same.

Another example would be the genuine bmw oil filters, they are the exact same as a Mann filter but a dealership can not sell the mann filter for fear of non compliance. Even though they are the same "OE" part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #24
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

[QUOTE=Poochie;26581670]Hey, from what I understand, you're a "parts guy."

I have a question but I'm not sure if it's up your avenue..

I was watching YouTube video yesterday, where an installer claimed that he was able to get an "OEM" GTS hood (bonnet), for cheap because he sourced it directly from the manufacturer, of which BMW subcontracts but just without the logos.

Does such an option exist, even on the fringes, were one is able to purchase a hood directly from the manufacture (sans the BMW logos) or is he full of it and it's really a genuine knock-off I'm looking at?

Thanx in advance..

It appears they don't have it on their website I'm curious how much it costs dirrectly from the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #25
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Don't forget to order the CS badges from IND for your pretend CS.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #26
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I think if you were going to do the CS hood, get OEM - aftermarket parts in pricing are attractive, but I've seen so many botched CS replica hoods for the f80/f82 that it just looks bad and makes your car look cheap. Fitment especially, it's why I never did it on my m3 comp no matter how bad I wanted to make it look like the CS M3. The hood lines are incredible, get OEM.

However, I've seen people with M3 comps buy OEM pieces and get decent paint jobs and they look great. I'd just stay away from replica.

I personally take no issue with it having a CS.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0