BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Hey M2C Folks - Need Some Advice and Help Please

09-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Oldbay
Private
Rep
Drives: M240IC 6MT RWD

Hey M2C Folks - Need Some Advice and Help Please

Bottom Line Up-Front: I'm considering trading my 2020 M240 Convertible w/ Manual Transmission for a 2021 M2C and am wondering if it would be worth it.

I love the M240 for the convertible aspect, but am not thrilled at the overall handling of the car. The front end feels floaty, as many point out. I consider it to be a "fun car" but not necessarily a performance car. It's not something that you want to get on too hard.

My local dealer got in a 2021 M2C with the manual transmission. Silver. I can get 1000-1500 off of MSRP. But am taking a bit of a hit on the M240. The trade difference between the two will be around $17,000.

In your expert opinions, is that reasonable? Is the M2C going to give me some extraordinary experience that the M240 can't? There's only so much that I can tell from a local test drive. I figured that I would ask people who might have experience with both models. No, I do not plan to track the car. It will be a weekend toy.

My apologies if this has been covered before in another thread. Not trying to re-hash old topics.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

It depends on how you are financially and how much you value the performance aspect of the m2c.
      09-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

The best advice I can give is go drive an M2C if possible. No doubt it will feel more solid than any F87 2er convertible. How sporty do you want to go? That's the question the test drive will answer with the M2C.

Edit: to be clear, the M2C isn't a car one buys for anything beyond novelty use at "the track." It's one of the best all around street cars available for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Honestly, if you don't plan on tracking it then your money would be better spent on getting Ohlins R&T or something to improve the ride of a m240i.

Personally I would do a test drive first before deciding. I was fine moving from my 228i to the M2C but I also drove a track oriented miata for a while. The floaty frontend could be solved by the m2c but it's also compromising much more on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

I was deciding between the two. In the end I decided I would rather have a true M car than a convertible. I do not track my cars.

FYI, if you shop around you can do much better than $1500 off. Also, you can private sale for more than what a dealer will give you.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

M2C still has the same numb steering rack and will feel floaty if your used to a car with coils. However it's going to be a big step up dynamically - chassis rigidity, power, cooling, grip, LSD. Driven above 7/10ths they will be very different. If your just putting around the m240i will certainly sound better. If you want feel buy an e9x M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I was in a similar position, except I had an m240i x drive coupe and debated whether the move to the M2C was worth it.

After 2 test drives of the M2C, I wasn't sure the move was worth it, but I missed manual so much that I went ahead with the order

and somewhat to my surprise I actually enjoy the M2C experience much more so than the m240i, and this is purely as a road car

here's what's better for me:
the looks, I look back at this car, never really did that with the m240i
the handling is simply at another level in terms of confidence and ability, corners are much more fun in the m2c
the s55 has much more character than the b58, revs more freely, has much more of a motorsports feel to it, it sounds better INSIDE the car, which is what matters, (the b58 sounds better outside the car)

in the end I am very happy with my choice to make the move, having the M2C has brought back my passion for my car, which I never had for the m240i

I look forward to every drive much more so than with the m240i

so that's my experience, the variables from yours are the convertible and the fact that you already have a manual

best with the decision!
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      09-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbay View Post
Bottom Line Up-Front: I'm considering trading my 2020 M240 Convertible w/ Manual Transmission for a 2021 M2C and am wondering if it would be worth it.

I love the M240 for the convertible aspect, but am not thrilled at the overall handling of the car. The front end feels floaty, as many point out. I consider it to be a "fun car" but not necessarily a performance car. It's not something that you want to get on too hard.

My local dealer got in a 2021 M2C with the manual transmission. Silver. I can get 1000-1500 off of MSRP. But am taking a bit of a hit on the M240. The trade difference between the two will be around $17,000.

In your expert opinions, is that reasonable? Is the M2C going to give me some extraordinary experience that the M240 can't? There's only so much that I can tell from a local test drive. I figured that I would ask people who might have experience with both models. No, I do not plan to track the car. It will be a weekend toy.

My apologies if this has been covered before in another thread. Not trying to re-hash old topics.
if you want more grip get it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The M240i needs a wheel and tire upsize. If you really love the rag top and want to save some money get a set of BBS CIR 19" wheels and 235/265 tires, they fit like a glove. Not only did they transform the handling of my old M235i, the new wheel offset and size of the tires greatly improves the curb appeal if the 2 series. That being said it will still say 240 on the trunk and no it will not be an M2C but the 240 is no slouch as you well know.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbay View Post

Simple answer.
If you care more about 0-60 and beating someone at the red light. No.
If you care more about how stable and fast you can carve a corner in the canyons. Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:29 AM   #11
Oldbay
Private
Rep

Great points everyone! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be taking it out on a test drive next week and making a decision from there. But, I'm also not rushing into the deal since inventory is limited on many BMW lots and they seem to want to stick to MSRP as close as possible on the 2021 models.

I have a lot to think about. I'll post up if I end up getting it.

I do have to say that my M240 has been a great car. The M2C does seem to speak to me, however. Can't go wrong with either!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #12
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
M2C still has the same numb steering rack and will feel floaty if your used to a car with coils. However it's going to be a big step up dynamically - chassis rigidity, power, cooling, grip, LSD. Driven above 7/10ths they will be very different. If your just putting around the m240i will certainly sound better. If you want feel buy an e9x M3.
Good summary!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Atomicflow
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Hockenheim M2C

I feel like this could end up being a War & Peace post... so I will try keep to a concise opinion. I'm in a 6MT M2C now, but prior to this had an E90, an E92, and for a few years my wife had a 2013 135i Cab loaded with M Performance bits - engine tune, exhaust, and suspension that we came across on a trade in - it rocked.

Anyway, I feel like I've stood pretty close to where you are standing in evaluating to M2 or not M2.

IMHO - the M2C (and frankly any full blood M car) has a feeling to it that just can't be matched by the non-M's in terms of driving dynamics. You can get pretty close to making a non-M car feel like an M car, but you need to spend some dough in aftermarket parts - mostly suspension.

The S55 i6 in the M2C/M3/M4 is an incredible powerplant - albeit acoustically challenged. After dozens of test drives and comparisons with other cars I was considering it was about the only thing I had to decide to live with as a compromise. Aside from that, it will give you power, feel, control and combined with the 5+ years of refinement BMW had to tune it and then combine with a suspension package for the 2 series - it is next level. I'm still REALLY happy with the overall decision and probably will hang on to this one for quite some time. Every drive gives me a smile and I can get drive it as-is to the track, drive it all day, go get groceries with it after, and still make the occasional small Costco run. It's not a sports car, but it's the best from BMW right now IMO.

Compared to the E9x's the power delivery is more immediate, more useful on the road, and ultimately faster on the track. Steering feel on the e9x's WAS better as others have pointed out, but it wasn't like a 997 or 981 Cayman, and the scalpel sharp direction control on the M2C feels like it makes up for that shortcoming. I really loved my E92 Azurite M3 - maybe a car I never should have sold, and price wise if you find a clean one with low miles and optioned well I would strongly consider it.

Compared to the tuned 135i the power difference is in a different league (approx 330hp/300 ftlb) even though on paper it doesn't look that far apart. Biggest difference though I found is in the delivery of the power itself. The N55 in the 135i suffered from pretty noticeable turbo lag and combined with the DCT made you think about when to shift. I think a 6MT would have made it less noticeable. It did have M Performance Suspension on it which gave it a very M car feeling to it, and that made a huge difference to others non-tuned 135i's I compared it to when we bought it.

Finally, I think the biggest question you need to answer is if you can give up having a cabriolet? That is what I miss most about having the 135i in the driveway - sunny day, top down, beautiful engine note and go kart feeling.

Summary opinion since we're pretending to spend your money - if you can give up going topless and want a coupe - go for the M2C it is a big enough performance jump you will enjoy it. If you still ultimately want a convertible, put some upgraded wheels/tires/suspension and maybe a tune on the M240 and you will have the best of both worlds.

Until they come out with an M2 Cab...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #14
Oldbay
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicflow View Post
I feel like this could end up being a War & Peace post... so I will try keep to a concise opinion. I'm in a 6MT M2C now, but prior to this had an E90, an E92, and for a few years my wife had a 2013 135i Cab loaded with M Performance bits - engine tune, exhaust, and suspension that we came across on a trade in - it rocked.

Anyway, I feel like I've stood pretty close to where you are standing in evaluating to M2 or not M2.

IMHO - the M2C (and frankly any full blood M car) has a feeling to it that just can't be matched by the non-M's in terms of driving dynamics. You can get pretty close to making a non-M car feel like an M car, but you need to spend some dough in aftermarket parts - mostly suspension.

The S55 i6 in the M2C/M3/M4 is an incredible powerplant - albeit acoustically challenged. After dozens of test drives and comparisons with other cars I was considering it was about the only thing I had to decide to live with as a compromise. Aside from that, it will give you power, feel, control and combined with the 5+ years of refinement BMW had to tune it and then combine with a suspension package for the 2 series - it is next level. I'm still REALLY happy with the overall decision and probably will hang on to this one for quite some time. Every drive gives me a smile and I can get drive it as-is to the track, drive it all day, go get groceries with it after, and still make the occasional small Costco run. It's not a sports car, but it's the best from BMW right now IMO.

Compared to the E9x's the power delivery is more immediate, more useful on the road, and ultimately faster on the track. Steering feel on the e9x's WAS better as others have pointed out, but it wasn't like a 997 or 981 Cayman, and the scalpel sharp direction control on the M2C feels like it makes up for that shortcoming. I really loved my E92 Azurite M3 - maybe a car I never should have sold, and price wise if you find a clean one with low miles and optioned well I would strongly consider it.

Compared to the tuned 135i the power difference is in a different league (approx 330hp/300 ftlb) even though on paper it doesn't look that far apart. Biggest difference though I found is in the delivery of the power itself. The N55 in the 135i suffered from pretty noticeable turbo lag and combined with the DCT made you think about when to shift. I think a 6MT would have made it less noticeable. It did have M Performance Suspension on it which gave it a very M car feeling to it, and that made a huge difference to others non-tuned 135i's I compared it to when we bought it.

Finally, I think the biggest question you need to answer is if you can give up having a cabriolet? That is what I miss most about having the 135i in the driveway - sunny day, top down, beautiful engine note and go kart feeling.

Summary opinion since we're pretending to spend your money - if you can give up going topless and want a coupe - go for the M2C it is a big enough performance jump you will enjoy it. If you still ultimately want a convertible, put some upgraded wheels/tires/suspension and maybe a tune on the M240 and you will have the best of both worlds.

Until they come out with an M2 Cab...
Thanks Atomic. Great post.

The M2C that I was looking at sold, so it's off the table for a while.

Maybe it was for the best and slowed me down a little. I've owned several M3s and am familiar with older m-cars. I have to remind myself that the reason why I went to the 2-series in the first place was for the smaller form factor and convertible aspect. Having a convertible is a big thing. The handling is a bit floaty, yes. But it's a street car and not a track car. There's only so much that we can do with these cars on public roads. At this point I'm not feeling like trading my 2020 M240 + $17,000 is going to be worth it.

I just have to keep things in perspective. In time I likely will step-up to an M2, but the sales-deal has to be in my favor. Right now they seemed rather unwilling to negotiate when it came down to it.

I'll see how things look in 2021.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50