BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Is my battery fragged?

12-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Is my battery fragged?

My car is 2016 bought it last March with only 16k miles on the odometer.

I do 6-10 minute commutes each day that's it.

Of late the car has been telling me the battery is discharging and the warning to restart the car on arrival to work, so that it can charge further.

I thought it was the dashcam cigarette lighter at first, though this should draw current only 20mins after the start button is double pressed (Each time) before locking the car.

This has not helped and now I am getting LOW multimeter readings, as in 11.45-11.5v at the terminals.

I have a recent Noco Genius 10amp charger that thinks the battery is charged in a matter of minutes with the green light coming on very quickly. I think therefore its capacity is shot.

When I take the charge off the battery peaks at 12.6v only before slowly creeping down over a few minutes.

I think with the battery being four years old and low mileage it has had a hard life in terms of battery useage and may be time for a new one.

As far as I can tell I need an 019 AGM battery with one vent tube toward the positive terminal. Does the chassis vent tube connection just pull out? I haven't tried.

Also do I need to code a new battery, i've read that you do for the IBS on BMWs. I have MHD super license now and believe you can code this?

Pic of my battery:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

When looking at replacements, some sites are coming up with a Varta battery that is 95Ah in capacity vs 80Ah for my car.

Is this an 'upgrade' anywone is aware of? The battery is slightly longer at 353mm vs 315mm. All other dimensions the same.

Not sure about weight.

Am I better off giving the battery an easier time and getting one with slightly higher capacity?
Or is IBS going to 'know' the capacity is different. (Don't see a problem seeing as how voltage determines charge measurement of a battery)

There's an ebay promotion on right now where I can the original OEM for a crazy low price with a voucher however!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
When looking at replacements, some sites are coming up with a Varta battery that is 95Ah in capacity vs 80Ah for my car.

Is this an 'upgrade' anywone is aware of? The battery is slightly longer at 353mm vs 315mm. All other dimensions the same.

Not sure about weight.

Am I better off giving the battery an easier time and getting one with slightly higher capacity?
Or is IBS going to 'know' the capacity is different. (Don't see a problem seeing as how voltage determines charge measurement of a battery)

There's an ebay promotion on right now where I can the original OEM for a crazy low price with a voucher however!

Thanks
The larger battery capacity will certainly help with your dashcam draw issues. Make sure it'll fit though if it that much longer, at a GUESS it should be ok.

You'll need to code the larger battery capacity for IBS, and also "register" the new battery so it knows there is a new one in there.

I haven't checked on my F87, but the E series IBS battery coding was in blocks I.e. 80-89 Ah, 90-99 Ah etc. I can only assume it is similar, therefore going from 80 to 95 would require a coding session based on above to let the car know of the larger capacity (I did exactly the same thing in my 135i - went from 80 to 95).

Remember after coding, then register the new battery. If you stay in the same Ah range, ie replace an 80 with another 80, then just register it.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You need to drive it more. It wont matter what battery you put in.
      12-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
You need to drive it more. It wont matter what battery you put in.
Yeh that or get the charger to it but I don't have a garage and it rains a lot

Anyway I put the same type of Varta in (80Ah) as can register with MHD (was instantaneous) but not code.

Yeh I need to drive it more but for now may have to accept shorter battery life.

There was an additional restraining bracket held to the chassis with a blue locktight bolt. It did appear there was another tapped hole further along so possibly you could fit a longer battery.

I gave up on hardwire for dashcam as was wrecking my phone Bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0