BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will the N55's become "worthless"... ? (+ leasing value discussion)

03-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #45
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

I would say you might see a brief dip in resale as the Comp comes out... but as people realize it is a fantastic iteration that they do not make anymore, that resale value will flatten out (and perhaps rebound). If you want to sell yours in late 2018 or 2019 you might take a hit. After that, you will do just fine.
Appreciate 1
silverado287.50
      03-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #46
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
I would say you might see a brief dip in resale as the Comp comes out... but as people realize it is a fantastic iteration that they do not make anymore, that resale value will flatten out (and perhaps rebound). If you want to sell yours in late 2018 or 2019 you might take a hit. After that, you will do just fine.
That's what I'm thinking too... it's very difficult to compare to other BMW models as I think this never happened before: new model -> LCI -> engine and styling overhaul... that's why I was wondering what it will do to the N55... thanks for a constructive answer
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Calling M3 Adjuster... M3 Adjuster come in... please paste your value argumentation in this latest "will my N55 plummet in value" thread...

(How many threads have we seen with this same subject? )
Truth !
omg this is another one ? I seriously wasn't going to post because I was already sure I had probably made a post.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      03-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #48
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Calling M3 Adjuster... M3 Adjuster come in... please paste your value argumentation in this latest "will my N55 plummet in value" thread...

Truth !
omg this is another one ? I seriously wasn't going to post because I was already sure I had probably made a post.
Well, why did you bother then? many other threads to read
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstigator View Post
Quote:
...once the S55 hits the shelves? As much as I like and enjoy my M2, I can imagine that potential buyers will prefer the M2 with the real M engine, turning N55's into paperweights... just look at the Z3M and compare the prices of S50 vs S52, mind you, both being proper M engines... I didn't buy the M2 as an investment but would hate to see its value plummet... and yes, someone will come up with the 1M argument, but:
- there was only one variation of it available
- they command high prices (comparable to new) but they remain online for ages, so who knows for how much they really swap hands (asking price != selling price)
The fact that you ask this question shows that you let the market value of a car determine how much you value the car.

I never get that logic.

You said it yourself you didn't buy it as an investment so why do you care about the value after it's already yours and you're presumably enjoying your ownership?
Did you have unrealistic expectations that you might be able to sell it for a profit down the road like the 1M?

What about when the next M2 comes out, are the M2 Competition owners going to come on here and ask the same thing?
Well, I guess you should not make conclusions for other people ... No, I did not buy it as an investment, but sometime down the road, time will come to sell and for us mere mortals, the value at that time does matter ... So, my question was not to analyse my buying habits and reasons, but a very simple: will the S55 degrade the N55... And my guess is: unfortunately, I think yes...
@tomwac

You edited the most important part of the statement by @mstigator earlier.

And for the last time. Judging whether an M car is an M car with it's engine code is moronic. It's an M car because of much more than the engine.

Or the side mirrors.
Appreciate 4
ORIGIN M.3159.50
MR_M2517.50
bobert858.50
Poochie9099.00
      03-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Truth !

I already read all 17 M2 Competition/M2 CS/S55 M2 threads hoping for more information.

I did indeed make a post ( which at the very least bobert appreciated) in one of these threads.

I would take the time to link to it .. but for your combativeness. Enjoy your M2 it's a great car.

Your value in this forum, yet to be determined.
Appreciate 3
ORIGIN M.3159.50
AngryBaby344.50
Dblaz43.50
      03-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #51
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
...once the S55 hits the shelves? As much as I like and enjoy my M2, I can imagine that potential buyers will prefer the M2 with the real M engine, turning N55's into paperweights... just look at the Z3M and compare the prices of S50 vs S52, mind you, both being proper M engines... I didn't buy the M2 as an investment but would hate to see its value plummet... and yes, someone will come up with the 1M argument, but:
- there was only one variation of it available
- they command high prices (comparable to new) but they remain online for ages, so who knows for how much they really swap hands (asking price != selling price)
That will largely depend on the price of the new car and what you define as "plummet".
      03-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #52
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Also, I don't agree with the comparison M4 - M4 GTS... this model is not being added to the line up, it replaces the current model middle in it's life cycle...
point taken.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #53
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

The way I see it, I own an original first gen M2. To me that holds long term value in itself.
Appreciate 5
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Spa2k1193.00
seis-speed2426.00
qnet676.00
      03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Truth !

I already read all 17 M2 Competition/M2 CS/S55 M2 threads hoping for more information.

I did indeed make a post ( which at the very least bobert appreciated) in one of these threads.

I would take the time to link to it .. but for your combativeness. Enjoy your M2 it's a great car.

Your value in this forum, yet to be determined.
I'm sorry that this topic is so sensitive to you and your apparent fan boys, that you all become butt hurt, without understanding what the point of the topic is... for people who DO understand what this topic is about, I'm curious to see what this unique development will mean for the value of our car... it's never been done before by BMW...

PS: I really outgrew the concerns about forum credibility and post counts...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #55
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds78 View Post
The way I see it, I own an original first gen M2. To me that holds long term value in itself.
Just like myself the car still excites me every time, so I'm not worried about that...
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #56
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

It's funny how these threads always seem to progress the same...

Someone will ask if the new M2 Comp is going to cause the N55 M2's value to plummet, or cause massive pension defaults, or cause widespread famine, or a recurrence of the Motaba virus, or an asteroid the size of Texas to hit the planet. And some will reply more enthusiastically than others, and they'll be accused of being defensive about their cars and told that they really need to relax and maybe buy a better pillow. Others will say don't worry, we can send a drilling team up to the asteroid, it will all be ok. And then everyone is told they completely missed the question, and they shouldn't have dropped out of school in the 3rd grade and they should eat more vegetables, and everyone pretty much wishes they could take back the 60 seconds they spent answering. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's ok, we aren't alone, this also happened when Little Debbie introduced the Swiss Cake Roll, and everyone is like "yeah but I just bought 6 boxes of Oatmeal Cream Pies" and people were saying it wouldn't affect Oatmeal Cream Pies too much but next thing you know Food Lion is doing a BOGO sale on Oatmeal pies and people are getting divorced and jumping out of windows and wishing they'd never heard of that asshole Little Debbie. Trust me, I was there.
Appreciate 12
atxsk8r1568.50
AngryBaby344.50
Artemis28913.00
Dblaz43.50
qnet676.00
doug_9992538.50
      03-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #57
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post

Someone will ask if the new M2 Comp is going to cause the N55 M2's value to plummet, or cause massive pension defaults, or cause widespread famine, or a recurrence of the Motaba virus, or an asteroid the size of Texas to hit the planet. And some will reply more enthusiastically than others, and they'll be accused of being defensive about their cars and told that they really need to relax and maybe buy a better pillow. Others will say don't worry, we can send a drilling team up to the asteroid, it will all be ok. And then everyone is told they completely missed the question, and they shouldn't have dropped out of school in the 3rd grade and they should eat more vegetables, and everyone pretty much wishes they could take back the 60 seconds they spent answering. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's ok, we aren't alone, this also happened when Little Debbie introduced the Swiss Cake Roll, and everyone is like "yeah but I just bought 6 boxes of Oatmeal Cream Pies" and people were saying it wouldn't affect Oatmeal Cream Pies too much but next thing you know Food Lion is doing a BOGO sale on Oatmeal pies and people are getting divorced and jumping out of windows and wishing they'd never heard of that asshole Little Debbie. Trust me, I was there.
good one
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #58
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

nice one
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #59
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
365 bhp/343 tq is more than sufficient for this car regardless of the designated engine code. To most buyers, the new M2's power will be defined as having 45 more hp than the old one. That's a bump that can be achieved by a downpipe or stage 1 type tune, so a minimal increase.

The S55 is very tunable and I see that as the only benefit over the N55 which is just as durable in stock form as the "proper" M engine. Furthermore, no matter how much the engineers tweak it, the aural pleasure just won't match the N55/exhaust combo.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      03-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #60
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Isn't this why we lease? It's why I do anyway. I'll concern myself with this in two years time at lease expiry. There will be more data to make the right decision then. Until then however, it's all grins every time I push the (black) start button.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #61
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:

OMG - An asteroid is coming?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #62
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Too many assholes on forums these days. (Maybe too strong a word but you get the point)

There are groups within the community that can have a level headed discussion on the same topic over and over again without the need for comments from the peanut gallery. Mental masturbation is a thing...

If people have nothing to add to progress the conversation stay out of it? Really makes it hard for someone to find the posts that contain relevant opinions so they just open a new thread instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #63
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Yes, how many? I didn't find them, so link it here please
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #64
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

OMG, you need to improve your diet . . . . .
      03-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #65
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
Too many assholes on forums these days. (Maybe too strong a word but you get the point)

There are groups within the community that can have a level headed discussion on the same topic over and over again without the need for comments from the peanut gallery. Mental masturbation is a thing...

If people have nothing to add to progress the conversation stay out of it? Really makes it hard for someone to find the posts that contain relevant opinions so they just open a new thread instead.
The problem is that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

There is no one on this forum or anywhere else who can predict the future valuation of any car into the future. For all we know, after recovery from the "little accident" recently with the self-driving car, that these will advance full steam ahead, roads will become progressively less and less accommodating to cars with drivers, and 5 months later you will be able to pick up a 1M for $5000.

It's all a guess.

What is not a guess is common sense, and common sense would dictate that if the future value of an M2 is important to your financial situation, you probably shouldn't buy one.
      03-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #66
Prudhvionline
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 BSM DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The problem is that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

There is no one on this forum or anywhere else who can predict the future valuation of any car into the future. For all we know, after recovery from the "little accident" recently with the self-driving car, that these will advance full steam ahead, roads will become progressively less and less accommodating to cars with drivers, and 5 months later you will be able to pick up a 1M for $5000.

It's all a guess.

What is not a guess is common sense, and common sense would dictate that if the future value of an M2 is important to your financial situation, you probably shouldn't buy one.
Well said
Appreciate 0