BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M240i better value than an M2C?

03-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #67
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
A valid question is, if you put Ohlins and some other tweaks on an M240i how close do you get to an M2. You won't get the aluminum chassis bits, but you probably can get rid of the body roll.
I believe lack of an LSD, intentionally softer suspension, and smaller Anti-Roll bars are really what handicaps the standard series from being as hardcore, from the F22 - F32.

A vehicle is merely a machine, in which a collection of various parts works in unison; no voodoo magic involved. One can build a proper handling vehicle with the correct equipment them deem necessary for that desired result.

The only issue with that is the M cars comes out the box already with the right ingredients standard for performance purposes.

As you keep moving up the model tiers, like from the M2C to a CS, the handling progress from less street to more hardcore track, which Itself comes with non-performance compromises.

The standard series are not necessarily inferior, it's just it caters more towards the street-able end of the spectrum. They both have separate purposes and demands.

Examples:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...-upgrades/amp/

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867904
Appreciate 2
frosty2k147.00
M2C89407.50
      03-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #68
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

On a full blown race car it's irrelevant. The Chassis is all that remains as everything else will be upgraded and reinforced. As for the motor....................................
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #69
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
A valid question is, if you put Ohlins and some other tweaks on an M240i how close do you get to an M2. You won't get the aluminum chassis bits, but you probably can get rid of the body roll.
Why would you purchase a cheaper car to spend more money on it to make it like the real thing? That defeats the "value" aspect and even still it wouldn't be the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #70
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
I think coilovers and a lsd might bring it close but youll be stuck trying to fit more rubber underneath unless you add a wide body kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #71
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
Why would you purchase a cheaper car to spend more money on it to make it like the real thing? That defeats the "value" aspect and even still it wouldn't be the real thing.
Some M235is are extremely cheap used. I generally agree with you, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #72
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly the "real thing" to you?

Ever thought that maybe the people that choose to purchase your interpretation of the 'fake' thing also sees value in their purchase and are contented by what they're getting. Whom doesn't need to hang ten on the expressway or whatever it is you believe the real thing accomplishes in your world.

I've noticed that you're getting a 2020 M2C and ever since your comments are all black and white. First the M2 grill makes it look "old and dated" and now people who purchase the standard series of a BMW are purchasing a "fake" vehicle.

Open your mind a little and understand that the M2C is a great vehicle and value but it wasn't ordained by God to be the greatest automobile ever rolled around this green earth. It's a man made machine, just like the "inferior" or "dated" vehicles and accomplishes just as much as your holy vehicle.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8714.50
Moflow2484.50
      03-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #73
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ever thought that maybe the people that choose to purchase your interpretation of the 'fake' thing also sees value in their purchase and are contented by what they're getting. Whom doesn't need to hang ten on the expressway or whatever it is you believe the real thing accomplishes in your world.

I've noticed that you're getting a 2020 M2C and ever since your comments are all black and white. First the M2 grill makes it look "old and dated" and now people who purchase the standard series of a BMW are purchasing an "fake" vehicle.

Open your mind a little and understand that the M2C is a great vehicle and value but it wasn't ordained by God to be the greatest automobile ever rolled around this green earth. It's a man made machine, just like the "inferior" or "dated" vehicles and accomplishes just as much as your holy vehicle.
If you've been following me so closely, you can't dismiss the countless posts I've made calling for people to stop comparing the size of their... smiles per hour and just enjoy the cars they have.

The real thing is what BMW designates is the real thing. You cannot be objective and tell me at the same time, that the split style grills are still fresh and new. BMW has done away with them, this is a fact no one can deny. Something no longer in production is no longer fresh, and therefore dated. This is a fact, regardless of the audience or perception by the general public.

It is my very subjective opinion, that it's asinine to buy a cheaper vehicle, and then spend the money you saved, to make it as much like the car you should've bought in the first place. There are plenty of benefits to buying the "real" thing from the get go, such as better resale value, a thing that so many people here are so obsessed over. I never said any vehicle was fake, merely that if you buy something and try to turn it into something else, it's not only stupid IMO because at the end of the day you've spent the same amount of money, but you still don't have the "real" thing as designated by BMW.

I hate the stupid petty arguments to be honest, the bulk of which originate from a lot of the self admitted salty owners of the OG M2 who rip apart the M2C for whatever reason or comparison they can muster up.

I would absolutely feel lucky to have any model year of M2. However, I'm free to point out whatever objective truth I want. If someone gets butt hurt, so be it.

I'm buying my car with the understanding the CS is following right behind it, and that every year after it's going to become old as shit, dated, inferior and everything else when compared to the new model. I'm no one for buying this car. It's a depreciating asset. Lighten up, I don't think this vehicle was appointed by God himself. It's an entry level M car, based on a cost cutting project meant to allow people like me to buy into the brand. I'm going to love it and that's all that matters, but there's plenty of better, faster, more luxurious cars out there. I'm not afraid to admit it. Maybe I'm being ridiculous for expecting people to do the same.
Appreciate 3
COChris888.50
Rundskop148.00
      03-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've noticed that you're getting a 2020 M2C and ever since your comments are all black and white. First the M2 grill makes it look "old and dated" and now people who purchase the standard series of a BMW are purchasing an "fake" vehicle.

If you've been following me so closely, you can't dismiss the countless posts I've made calling for people to stop comparing the size of their...
I don't need to follow you closely to recognize your comments, they're hard to miss. You're like Tarzan, every other statement is:

*Me get M2C*

*M2C is a real Em kar*

*M2C new, yu Em kar is old stylez*

If it's payback for M2 owners bashing the M2C, then I give you a little leeway. They deserve it but don't act now like your statements are not polarizing.

Some of you guys are drowning in the M Kool Aid. BMW can make a M TURD and put an M badge on the back and some will be like; "My shit smells better than yours, it's real M feces"

It's a car, they all go "vroom-vroom" and can handle a turn without flipping over. They do the same stuff as any other BMW does. One just has stiffer suspension, an e-LSD and some bigger wheels which 99% of the public doesn't need. But if it accentuates you as a person to have the "superior" M vehicle, more M power to you.

Me personally like the idea of an M car because the standard model lacks a LSD stock and being on my third new BMW, I know that's the only thing that handicaps the power of the standard vehicles, everything else is kosher and expendable IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #75
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

We need a special forum just to compare the M2C to every other model BMW makes.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #76
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a car, they all go "vroom-vroom" and can handle a turn without flipping over. They do the same stuff as any other BMW does. One just has stiffer suspension, an e-LSD and some bigger wheels which 99% of the public doesn't need. But if it accentuates you as a person to have the "superior" M vehicle, more M power to you.

Me personally like the idea of an M car because the standard model lacks a LSD stock and being on my third new BMW, I know that's the only thing that handicaps the power of the standard vehicles, everything else is kosher and expendable IMO.
I appreciate you reiterating my point. Here's to hoping we can all enjoy our cars in the real world!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #77
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Maybe because it offers a route to get exactly what you wanted or something even more hardcore. For example, some people would prefer a m240ir over an m2c.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #78
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Allow me to interject here. Since my household currently consists of my son's M240i and my M2Comp, let me elaborate on this debate.

My son and I have driven both back-to-back at autocrosses and on tracks. Simply put, they are totally different animals, the M2C being in the league of its own.

From the sum of all parts, the M2C excels and is unbeatable. As a daily drive, the M240i is definitely more practical and more comfortable.

You simply can't replicate the feel/performance of the M2/M2C with any mods in the M240i. That said, and as some of you have commented, you can obtain an older M240i and mod it up. But IMO, why would you want to do that if you can also find a good used MY16/MY17/MY18 M2 instead?

At the end of the day, go where your pocket allows you.
Appreciate 7
AlpsRider2865.00
COChris888.50
devo755.00
bri10425892.00
dmboone254972.00
x233284.00
      03-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #79
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
Allow me to interject here. Since my household currently consists of my son's M240i and my M2Comp, let me elaborate on this debate.

My son and I have driven both back-to-back at autocrosses and on tracks. Simply put, they are totally different animals, the M2C being in the league of its own.

From the sum of all parts, the M2C excels and is unbeatable. As a daily drive, the M240i is definitely more practical and more comfortable.

You simply can't replicate the feel/performance of the M2/M2C with any mods in the M240i. That said, and as some of you have commented, you can obtain an older M240i and mod it up. But IMO, why would you want to do that if you can also find a good used MY16/MY17/MY18 M2 instead?

At the end of the day, go where your pocket allows you.
Get out of here with your sound logic and reasoning. You're going to offend a lot of people.
Appreciate 5
devo755.00
dmboone254972.00
x233284.00
bdogk300.00
Rundskop148.00