BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Which rear racing wing??

10-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Hi all,

I do a lot of track days and am looking to add a rear wing to my boot lid that sits high and can help with downforce and stability under breaking and through corners, etc. I have also warmed up massively to having a big rear wing on my M2 Comp so it's partly about aesthetics as well. So far I have seen:

- BMW M240i racing rear wing;
- Krass Technik's rear wing;
- Custom Racetec's rear wing (used on M2C_brothers on Instagram);
- BMW GTS rear wing; and
- APR's rear wing, which I have just seen on Jordy King / Karmic's old M2.

I am based in the UK so don't want to be importing from the US, paying important taxes.

What are everyone's thoughts? I have seen Krass Technik's data showing better downforce than BMW's GTS wing, for example.

Cheers,

Karl
      10-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Iirc, you need the 235/240 racing boot lid to accomodate the rear wing

Big rear wing is a great addition for track days but get ready for picnic table and tea table comments while daily driving it
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Iirc, you need the 235/240 racing boot lid to accomodate the rear wing

Big rear wing is a great addition for track days but get ready for picnic table and tea table comments while daily driving it
Yes, I saw that regarding the boot lid as it has additional support underside, which makes sense. Still, I'm trying to find someone who could add additional support under the existing boot lid. In the right hands I can't see it being that difficult.

And yeah, I get that, but I think I could handle the jokes. I know what the purpose of the car is for so that's all that matters 🙂
      10-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Just had the 240i racing installed before hitting the track Saturday. I'm not really a wing on the street guy - but I am really happy with how it looks. Since I didn't get a chance to add the lower extension to my front splitter before heading out I ran the wing in the lowest downforce setting. There was a noticeable improvement in high speed cornering grip & the car still felt well balanced. Looking forward to seeing how it does with more front aero & increasing the wing angle.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Just had the 240i racing installed before hitting the track Saturday. I'm not really a wing on the street guy - but I am really happy with how it looks. Since I didn't get a chance to add the lower extension to my front splitter before heading out I ran the wing in the lowest downforce setting. There was a noticeable improvement in high speed cornering grip & the car still felt well balanced. Looking forward to seeing how it does with more front aero & increasing the wing angle.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Looks nice. Did you buy the additional boot lid to fix it to or did you attach it to the existing boot?
      10-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Looks nice. Did you buy the additional boot lid to fix it to or did you attach it to the existing boot?
I bought the additional boot lid. Not that the stock one can't be reinforced properly - I just felt more comfortable with one designed to work with the wing. Also kept me from screwing up the boot to upright alignment. Bought from Cat @ iND here in the US so I knew it wouldn't ship until the paint was perfect. The simplicity of the install going this route was great - and also have the old trunk that I can swap back on if I ever want the car to be more discreet...
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      10-23-2019, 04:01 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep

Don't forget that the Mperformance CF bootlid is also reinforced and designed to accept an upright wing

I have to wonder do you not compress the rubbers and lock 1st before transmitting the force to the chassis?
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      10-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
tzargarpur
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Plan on running an M235iR wing. Can anyone comment on running the wing with stock trunk on the track? Did it compress or damage the trunk? And what could be done with the stock trunk to add support?
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      11-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I know there is a brace kit that you buy when installing the MPerformance carbon fiber wing. Maybe it can be bought separately??