BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan S55 (F87 M2C) Flash Pre-Release / Haus Party

10-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile23 View Post
Silly question..... With this Dinan w/OE warranty flash tune, does that mean one can just drive the car to any BMW dealership in North America without any issue of claiming factory warranty? No need to put the car back to stock map annually, correct?
You're still accepting the chance of your BMW warranty being voided, but Dinan agrees to warranty any repairs BMW refuses to cover after the flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #24
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Silly question..... With this Dinan w/OE warranty flash tune, does that mean one can just drive the car to any BMW dealership in North America without any issue of claiming factory warranty? No need to put the car back to stock map annually, correct?
A bit simplified but essentially yes. I would caution against going to ANY dealership though and would strongly encourage going to an authorized dealer instead. First thing a non-dealer will do ( especially true at a dealership) is flash back to stock and they will have no way of loading the software back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #25
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
You're still accepting the chance of your BMW warranty being voided, but Dinan agrees to warranty any repairs BMW refuses to cover after the flash.
Thanks. Could I just let my dealership know that I have a Dinan flash tune so they won't update any software?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #26
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Could I just let my dealership know that I have a Dinan flash tune so they won't update any software?
Find a mod friendly dealer who won't flag your vin right away. You want to still be able to use your OEM BMW warranty for minor engine warranty stuff (non-catastrophic fixes). Many dealers will honor warranty fixes for flashed vehicles, so long as the fix doesn't require them to call in a BMW NA representative.

IMO the Dinan warranty is to be used for the worst case scenario fixes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #27
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Find a mod friendly dealer who won't flag your vin right away. You want to still be able to use your OEM BMW warranty for minor engine warranty stuff (non-catastrophic fixes). Many dealers will honor warranty fixes for flashed vehicles, so long as the fix doesn't require them to call in a BMW NA representative.

IMO the Dinan warranty is to be used for the worst case scenario fixes.
Cool!! Thanks again

My dealership used to carry Dinan before. Will talk to them later in the month to see if they still do
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #28
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I've been waiting for this for a long time!

I am concerned about if I go with the fully warrantied version and want to go more "extreme" after 4 years - is there a process to do that?

Also, what if I added an aftermarket intake, or cats, etc, would that void the Dinan warranty?

Last concern is that the tune will not be adjustable at all (meth, etc). Of course, you know that going in, but maybe that would be my plan. Dinan for 4 years, then switch to an aggressive BM3 type solution that opens up all the goodies.

Sweet stuff though!
      10-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #29
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I've been waiting for this for a long time!

I am concerned about if I go with the fully warrantied version and want to go more "extreme" after 4 years - is there a process to do that?

Also, what if I added an aftermarket intake, or cats, etc, would that void the Dinan warranty?

Last concern is that the tune will not be adjustable at all (meth, etc). Of course, you know that going in, but maybe that would be my plan. Dinan for 4 years, then switch to an aggressive BM3 type solution that opens up all the goodies.

Sweet stuff though!
You could change over to the non-warranty version if you like at the end of the warranty period. You can change over from warranty to the non-warranty at any time really. Keep in mind though that as soon as you switch but you would be losing any the warranty that may be remaining -- there is no flopping back and forth. Once you go non-warranty there is no going back.

Running parts outside of the Dinan formula will always introduce gray area in terms of the warranty just because it is not our responsibility to warrant products outside our own (or BMW's) nor can we guarantee results on products we did not test. As an example if a problem can be traced back to a DP we would not warrant the claim or if an open air intake is causing issues we would not warrant that either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #30
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
You could change over to the non-warranty version if you like at the end of the warranty period. You can change over from warranty to the non-warranty at any time really. Keep in mind though that as soon as you switch but you would be losing any the warranty that may be remaining -- there is no flopping back and forth. Once you go non-warranty there is no going back.

Running parts outside of the Dinan formula will always introduce gray area in terms of the warranty just because it is not our responsibility to warrant products outside our own (or BMW's) nor can we guarantee results on products we did not test. As an example if a problem can be traced back to a DP we would not warrant the claim or if an open air intake is causing issues we would not warrant that either.
Some of us would still liked to have had the option of a "warranty" stage 1 version, not just the HE version that has 1/2 the power of stage 1. As you mentioned, in an otherwise all-stock car, having the Stage 1 offered as a warrantied version would be a great selling point given the cost differences with other tuners who obviously are not warrantied.

But then again, I don't work in the Business side at Dinan, so I'm sure you guys did market analysis and figured out the potential value offering may not be cost effective to the average customer.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #31
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Does installing the Dinan heat exchanger mean the car will also take longer to warm up? I wait until the oil temp reaches the fully warmed up point (1/4 way up the gauge) before I do any semi-aggressive driving.

Thanks.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #32
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Some of us would still liked to have had the option of a "warranty" stage 1 version, not just the HE version that has 1/2 the power of stage 1. As you mentioned, in an otherwise all-stock car, having the Stage 1 offered as a warrantied version would be a great selling point given the cost differences with other tuners who obviously are not warrantied.

But then again, I don't work in the Business side at Dinan, so I'm sure you guys did market analysis and figured out the potential value offering may not be cost effective to the average customer.
You do have that option...

Dinan + = Warrantied albeit neutered Stage 1 91 Octane file.The reason for this low output of power is without the heat exchanger to combat heat you are immediately running into heat soak issues at power levels above this.
Dinan +HE = Warranted version of the full Stage 1 91 Octane file.
Dinan Stage 1 - 91 = Same file as above just doesnt have the factory matching warranty.
Dinan Stage 1 - 93 / 100 /104 / E85 - Just higher octane adjusted maps to take advantage of the better fuel but these wouldn't have the factory matching warranty.

If the "problem" you are referring to is not having a warranted E85 map for full power that is simply because we have to be able to control all the variables in order to effectively manage warranty costs. If you have an engine seize because you are running the E85 map on 89 octane --- that shouldn't be our responsibility and we can't control that. Hence why the warrantied files are limited to the lowest common denominator (aka - safest).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #33
BMWs2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster, 2020 M2

Quote:
You do have that option...

Dinan + = Warrantied albeit neutered Stage 1 91 Octane file.The reason for this low output of power is without the heat exchanger to combat heat you are immediately running into heat soak issues at power levels above this.
Dinan +HE = Warranted version of the full Stage 1 91 Octane file.
Dinan Stage 1 - 91 = Same file as above just doesnt have the factory matching warranty.
Dinan Stage 1 - 93 / 100 /104 / E85 - Just higher octane adjusted maps to take advantage of the better fuel but these wouldn't have the factory matching warranty.

If the "problem" you are referring to is not having a warranted E85 map for full power that is simply because we have to be able to control all the variables in order to effectively manage warranty costs. If you have an engine seize because you are running the E85 map on 89 octane --- that shouldn't be our responsibility and we can't control that. Hence why the warrantied files are limited to the lowest common denominator (aka - safest).
I can totally respect that warrantied files are warrantied because they are considered "safest" and i'm sure you guys did your due diligence on what level of risk was considered acceptable for you guys to provide warranty. But the explanation on customers potentially running E85 maps with 89 octane isn't the best in my opinion. What's to prevent the customer putting 87 octane on your warrantied stage 1? You can't really "control" that either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #34
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Does the Dinan +HE tune come tuned to 93 octane? I see in the product options chart listed 91 or 93.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Does installing the Dinan heat exchanger mean the car will also take longer to warm up? I wait until the oil temp reaches the fully warmed up point (1/4 way up the gauge) before I do any semi-aggressive driving.

Thanks.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
Does the Dinan +HE tune come tuned to 93 octane? I see in the product options chart listed 91 or 93.
It is tuned for 91 octane but 93 octane will run on it just fine and naturally provide a slight improvement on power. It was listed that way in the product options just so it was clear the warrantied version would work using either octane since some folks cap out at 91 and others have access to 93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs2000 View Post
I can totally respect that warrantied files are warrantied because they are considered "safest" and i'm sure you guys did your due diligence on what level of risk was considered acceptable for you guys to provide warranty. But the explanation on customers potentially running E85 maps with 89 octane isn't the best in my opinion. What's to prevent the customer putting 87 octane on your warrantied stage 1? You can't really "control" that either.
Fair enough but I would argue the difference between 87 octane and 91 octane (what the warrantied tune is designed for) is drastically different than the difference from 91 to E85 (equivalent to a triple digit octane rating). The safety/risk assessment between those to is markedly different. We can agree to disagree though.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #36
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Is the heat exchanger on your website for the M2? In Houston all cooling mods would be appreciated ... I'm convinced this engine pulls a ton of timing over 90degrees F.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

@Dinan_Engineering

If I obtained a warranty tune and your Dinan cooler, and no other bolts on, what does the warranty cover?

Would the warranty cover a crank hub slip on your warranty tune and the only bolt on being your cooler? I have been told you all refuse to cover crank hub slips and tell customers to claim with BMW, the issue is BMW will not cover a crank hub slip with a tune....

Last question, would a crank hub upgrade (like maximum PsI) for the crank hub slip problem void Dinan warranty on the engine with a Diann tune.

Also where can I find a list of authorized Dinan dealers in Southern California?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Is the heat exchanger on your website for the M2? In Houston all cooling mods would be appreciated ... I'm convinced this engine pulls a ton of timing over 90degrees F.
Yes, it is listed on our website. The M2C and the M3/M4 heat exchanger are the same (D780-0001A).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
@Dinan_Engineering

If I obtained a warranty tune and your Dinan cooler, and no other bolts on, what does the warranty cover?

Would the warranty cover a crank hub slip on your warranty tune and the only bolt on being your cooler? I have been told you all refuse to cover crank hub slips and tell customers to claim with BMW, the issue is BMW will not cover a crank hub slip with a tune....

Last question, would a crank hub upgrade (like maximum PsI) for the crank hub slip problem void Dinan warranty on the engine with a Diann tune.

Also where can I find a list of authorized Dinan dealers in Southern California?

Thanks.
The warranty matches the factory new car warranty (first 4yr/50k) so if BMW denies a claim due to a Dinan modification we step in and cover the claim. The full warranty statement can be found at https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/.

As far as the crank hub goes --- generally speaking it would be covered under the warranted file when run to spec however there are variables which may affect that. As an example, if the hub was spun as a result of a money shift and the logs tell us as much the claim would be denied, the same as BMW would deny it (regardless of it being tuned or not). In the same vein a 3rd party part doesn't necessarily void the Dinan warranty but we also do not warrant 3rd party products and their possible effects on other components.

Dealer locator is on the website (https://www.dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/). Just put in your ZIP and it will output dealers nearby.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #39
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Dealer locator is on the website (https://www.dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/). Just put in your ZIP and it will output dealers nearby.
I was about to ask that. Looks like my dealership is on the list... So when is it going to be available for those who can't make to your pre-release party? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #40
GassBoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2019

When will a complete exhaust by Dinan be available for the M2C? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was about to ask that. Looks like my dealership is on the list... So when is it going to be available for those who can't make to your pre-release party? Thanks
2nd week of November.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #42
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I know this is a silly question, but what is a "money shift"? Is that a high rpm shift, or a downshift to too low of a gear causing over-rev?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #43
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
I know this is a silly question, but what is a "money shift"? Is that a high rpm shift, or a downshift to too low of a gear causing over-rev?
When you get to the top of a gear and accidentally downshift instead of upshifting. Top of second gear into first gear, for example.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #44
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
It's the mechanical Over-rev of the engine.