BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > OG M2 Track Observations & Recommendations

05-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #23
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Been great - you can balance things out with the damper settings, so I really didn't stress much about the spring rates and went with Ohlins' and my shop's recommendations (i.e. stock).

For daily driving I went from 7 clicks all round, to 12, to finally settling on 17 of late. At 17 clicks, for me it's a great blend of better performance than stock, and practically the same comfort level as stock - but with reduced tendency for the rear to chatter around over bumps, rivets, pavement breaks and so on.

I ran 6 clicks on track at the BMW CCA Spring Driving School in CO on Sunday and the car was an absolute weapon... mid-lap the instructor went out of his way to comment on how quickly the car settles in weight transition, he thought it was unreal (so did I )

I would defo not go with softer spring rates (defeats purpose of upgraded track-ready suspension imho) but if you plan to track it a heap (like 15+ days a year) then perhaps stiffer rates could be a good option, just to give you the ability to tie it down even stiffer. My shop guy for example said he'd probably opt for slightly stiffer, but he's a 20-yr driving pro who doesn't daily his M2... For me, I'm at the stiffest I'll get with 6 clicks, but I'm happy with that.
Awesome, appreciate the feedback. Going to try the standard spring rates then - sounds like what I知 looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Awesome, appreciate the feedback. Going to try the standard spring rates then - sounds like what I’m looking for.
I also opted to stay with the standard rates supplied by Ohlin for the M2 version of the R&Ts (MR40s). IIRC, the rear rates for the M3 / M4 versions are different. Some have stated they feel the rear rates are too high, but they seem fine to me, and I trust that Ohlin did a lot of testing before ending up with the standard rates. At 15 to 20 clicks, overall dynamics including ride quality is better than stock.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      05-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
I also opted to stay with the standard rates supplied by Ohlin for the M2 version of the R&Ts (MR40s). IIRC, the rear rates for the M3 / M4 versions are different. Some have stated they feel the rear rates are too high, but they seem fine to me, and I trust that Ohlin did a lot of testing before ending up with the standard rates. At 15 to 20 clicks, overall dynamics including ride quality is better than stock.
That is what I知 looking for - decent track performance + being able to easily adjust back to ride quality that is at least as good as stock. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #26
imolam3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Imola M3, 2017 AW M2 PE

Quote:
San Antonio also - and a member at Harris hill and get out to cota fairly often too - funny can be such a small world sometimes. All been in my E92 M3 to date - really looking forward to getting out to both in the M2.

Sounds like a heck of a setup you got there. Those JRZs help to smooth out Harris hill a bit? CAE fairly friendly on the street? Been looking at it and that has been my only concern. Since it’s not going to be my daily been thinking that shouldn’t be an issue though?

I like the square 275 NT01s too - good durability and decent grip. Went ahead on the staggered 18” setup. Won’t be perfect wheel sizes but good to know the NT01s are an available option.
I used to have the Mperformance coil and at HH I would go airborne on the front straight. With the RSII it feels much better.

The CAE is great for DD or track. I drive to the track and even in traffic, it feels fine. Very precise bolt rifle action. You know the exact gear you're in without even looking.
2017 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #27
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolam3 View Post
I used to have the Mperformance coil and at HH I would go airborne on the front straight. With the RSII it feels much better.

The CAE is great for DD or track. I drive to the track and even in traffic, it feels fine. Very precise bolt rifle action. You know the exact gear you're in without even looking.
Bouncing through 3 to 4 makes me cringe just thinking about it. Definitely much better after JRZ痴 on my M3 too.

CAE should be here Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #28
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolam3 View Post

Well you weren稚 wrong about the shifter. Freaking awesome
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #29
OG Shark
Rep

Had my first track time in the M2 this weekend...

'18 M2 6spd
Ohlins RT
AP Racing BBK Front & Rear
CAE Shifter
do88 Intercooler
do88 Radiator & Auxiliary Radiator
do88 Engine Oil Cooler
Fabspeed Downpipe
Bootmod
Hoosier R7 275/35/18 & 295/35/18
Signature Wheel SV501 18x9.5 & 18x10.5 - look awesome on an M2

Full weekend at COTA. Temps were mid 90's with high humidity, pretty brutal. I run DSC off. Saturday was rough on the temps. Couldn't run more than a couple of hard laps before having to put in a cool down lap. And even on the push laps it was clear the car was pulling power pretty hard. Handling however was excellent, but still overall kind of a rough day being down on power so much.

Sunday we had a different animal on our hands. Chatted a bit with M2MGM that morning and he mentioned that there was a sport setting that he thought might help. With the only options for adjustment being drivetrain, chassis, or both - switched it to chassis only to see if that has any affect. Also threw in some 101 for the fun of it. First session I was 5sec quicker with 10mph higher top speed on the back straight... Temps also stayed in check for that session.

As Sunday progressed and the temps rose I figured out that if I short shifted down the two long straights that the temps would stay in check and I could push the entire sessions without issue. Still felt down a bit on power but definitely better than Saturday. And still had massive amounts of grip so didn't touch anything there. Moved through traffic fairly easily including a decent amount of GT3's & GT4's which was a bit surprising. Was making up substantial time through the corners and braking zones.

Summary - the grip on this car is ridiculous - its a little monster. Once we got a handle on the temps it was extremely consistent and balanced - even had three consecutive laps within 1/100th of each other at one point. When we figure out how to keep the power up in the heat its going to be pretty beastly. Just an absolute blast as a street car with maybe some occasional hpde time when I don't want to take the race car out once its finished.

Last edited by OG Shark; 06-25-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Nice work.

I’ve learned I always have to run a race gas mix at the track to combat timing pull with high IATs. Usually 96-97 octane is enough to have a substantial impact. I’m trying E30 on my next outing.

I’m curious to hear how M2MGM did with his new WMI setup. Brakes and IATs are definitely the weaknesses on our cars. You’ve cured the former.

Any idea what your IATs were getting up to?

Last edited by ZM2; 06-24-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #31
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Nice work.

I致e learned I always have to run a race gas mix at the track to combat timing pull with high IATs. Usually 96-97 octane is enough to have a substantial impact. I知 trying E30 on my next outing.

I知 curious to hear how M2MGM did with his new WMI setup. Brakes and IATs are definitely the weaknesses on our cars. You致e cured the former.
Definitely seemed to help here. Would prefer to be able to not have to go with the 101 though due to availability outside of COTA. Will have to look into ethanol - look forward to seeing your results.

Felt like I was getting a bit of fuel starvation coming out of the higher G turns (lefts in particular at COTA) that became more pronounced as the fuel level decreased. Need to look into this as well.

Certainly don't want to put words in his mouth but it didn't sound like M2MGM was that impressed with the setup on Saturday - hopefully he had better success with it on Sunday. We were able to run down the long straights a couple of times together Sunday afternoon and it appeared that our cars pulled very evenly. Definitely look forward to hearing if he was running the WMI at those times and getting the rest of his impressions from Sunday.

I did run a log during a Sunday afternoon 30min session that should give a bit of info when we get a chance to go through it.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Definitely seemed to help here. Would prefer to be able to not have to go with the 101 though due to availability outside of COTA. Will have to look into ethanol - look forward to seeing your results.

Felt like I was getting a bit of fuel starvation coming out of the higher G turns (lefts in particular at COTA) that became more pronounced as the fuel level decreased. Need to look into this as well.

Certainly don't want to put words in his mouth but it didn't sound like M2MGM was that impressed with the setup on Saturday - hopefully he had better success with it on Sunday. We were able to run down the long straights a couple of times together Sunday afternoon and it appeared that our cars pulled very evenly. Definitely look forward to hearing if he was running the WMI at those times and getting the rest of his impressions from Sunday.

I did run a log during a Sunday afternoon 30min session that should give a bit of info when we get a chance to go through it.
This will fix your fuel starvation issues: https://www.dinancars.com/product/r4...eries=&mid=M2/

Essentially it doubles the flow into the saddle tank to make sure it's full and there are no fuel pick up issues.

I used to have fuel pick up issues on high G corners with sticky tires anytime my tank was below 1/2. With the Dinan fix, I can run the tank dry.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      06-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #33
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Car looks great indeed OG Shark...esp with those Signature wheels..and runs great too. I may have held pace on the straights, but you smoked me in the braking zones and twisties. Very nicely prepared street / occasional track M2..and some great driving too !
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      06-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #34
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
This will fix your fuel starvation issues: https://www.dinancars.com/product/r4...eries=&mid=M2/

Essentially it doubles the flow into the saddle tank to make sure it's full and there are no fuel pick up issues.

I used to have fuel pick up issues on high G corners with sticky tires anytime my tank was below 1/2. With the Dinan fix, I can run the tank dry.
Awesome, definitely going to take a look at that

So my IAT's consistently ranged from 133 to 160 each lap...

Quote:
Car looks great indeed OG Shark...esp with those Signature wheels..and runs great too. I may have held pace on the straights, but you smoked me in the braking zones and twisties. Very nicely prepared street / occasional track M2..and some great driving too !
Much appreciated! Really happy with how the wheels came out - and pretty light too. We were in a rush to get them mounted and on the car Friday night & didn't get a chance to weigh them - but will on the next tire swap.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Ouch on the IATs, but that’s consistent with my logging, as well. Race gas helps as IATs go from 115-140F, after that there’s nothing to be done but pull major ignition timing and power.

I’ll probably go M2MGM route and run an AEM V2 setup with the 1000cc/min injector with my Dinan turbo and Stg 2H E30 map. Hopefully can get a test of that next month.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #36
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It would be interesting to compare our logs. Post it up if you get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #37
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I値l probably go M2MGM route and run an AEM V2 setup with the 1000cc/min injector with my Dinan turbo and Stg 2H E30 map. Hopefully can get a test of that next month.
Based on what I知 seeing, that could be a good upgrade for you....very cost effective too. My only suggestion would be to consider a larger capacity WM reservoir..to reduce chance of running dry during longer runs.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #38
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Ouch on the IATs, but that痴 consistent with my logging, as well. Race gas helps as IATs go from 115-140F, after that there痴 nothing to be done but pull major ignition timing and power.

I値l probably go M2MGM route and run an AEM V2 setup with the 1000cc/min injector with my Dinan turbo and Stg 2H E30 map. Hopefully can get a test of that next month.
Yeah could definitely tell the power was down. Need to get up to speed on wmi- sounds like the way to go.

Quote:
It would be interesting to compare our logs. Post it up if you get the chance.
This was from the 3:00 session Sunday

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d0fe58cc090c610f32d3815
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #39
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah could definitely tell the power was down. Need to get up to speed on wmi- sounds like the way to go.

first glance...got some high IATs (up to 160 F) and associated timing being pulled in that log...you certainly would have felt that. Oil and coolant temps maxing at 260 and 255 respectively are high as well.
for comparison..my same day max IAT / oil / coolant temps maxed out at 113 / 223 / 208 F respectively. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to WMI tho. You were pushing hard on that run...so that may explain some of that.

Last edited by M2C AW; 06-24-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #40
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yup, this is what happens to me when I push. IATs go thru the roof, then coolant, then oil. You were getting the double whammy, IAT timing pull plus the M2 pulls power above 242F coolant (and 267F oil).

I’m tempted to skip WMI on my next outing to see just how much the DP helps with temps, but I also need a little extra fueling if I’m going to run E30 for max power.

M2MGM did you get any logs without the WMI on as a comparison?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #41
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I did not..sorry.
I was happy tho to be able to run with OTS Stg 2 93 on pump without issue. Earlier this season..I could not.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
first glance...got some high IATs (up to 160 F) and associated timing being pulled in that log...you certainly would have felt that. Oil and coolant temps maxing at 260 and 255 respectively are high as well.
for comparison..my same day max IAT / oil / coolant temps maxed out at 113 / 223 / 208 F respectively. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to WMI tho. You were pushing hard on that run...so that may explain some of that.
Quote:
Yup, this is what happens to me when I push. IATs go thru the roof, then coolant, then oil. You were getting the double whammy, IAT timing pull plus the M2 pulls power above 242F coolant (and 267F oil).

I知 tempted to skip WMI on my next outing to see just how much the DP helps with temps, but I also need a little extra fueling if I知 going to run E30 for max power.

Definitely not the prettiest numbers there. Interesting to see how quickly everything jumps. The coolant & oil temps, ugh, definitely need some love. M2MGM through your entire session your temps are pretty constant in that range you stated? Have you considered 100% water injection or do you think the meth is beneficial?

ZM2 did you have upgraded cooling when you were pulling those kind of temps? And were on fairly sticky tires right? Do your temps start ramping up almost immediately when you start pushing it?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ZM2 did you have upgraded cooling when you were pulling those kind of temps? And were on fairly sticky tires right? Do your temps start ramping up almost immediately when you start pushing it?
Here are a lot of details from my last hot summer track day: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=extreme

Changes since then include BM3, Wagner Comp IC, 300-cell DP, do88 aux radiator, and E30. These should help, but my gut tells me it still won't be enough to bring IATs down on long sessions and everything will still get hot.

Altho, I’m starting to think I should run the car like this on my next track day to see how she does, then decide on meth.

Last edited by ZM2; 06-25-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      06-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #44
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Stock OG M2 -16 engine on track, ridiculously hot... need to fix this ASAP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0