BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Thinking of these upgrades for overall daily/canyon carver package /DIY update thread

03-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Thinking of these upgrades for overall daily/canyon carver package /DIY update thread

Hello,

This is going to be a sort of "verify if I'm going in a good direction / suggest ways to improve my ideas based on the goals I will lay out" type of thread.

---------------------------------------------
Edit -- well it became a DIY thread, so I wanted to outline the various detailed posts for easy navigation

Edit 2 -> 10/28/19 --Dyno results from all the mods!

DIY Updates:

DIY Update 1: Received parts, setup QuickJack, removed CP

DIY Update 2: All 3 pipes out!

DIY Update 3: Painted FMIC

DIY Update 4: Removing DV 2 of 3 bolts out, top bolt wins day!

DIY Update 5: Remove DV - Last (top) bolt out, DV out!

DIY Update 6: Rebuild DV solenoid with GFB DV+

DIY Update 7: Install DV+ back on the car

DIY Update 8: Installed Pure Turbo inlet pipe

DIY Update 9: Charge/boost pipes, C clips, FMIC, and lessons learned!

Info Updates:

Info Update 1: QuickJack

Info Update 2: Dyno Chart (baseline)

Info Update 3: How the new pipes should fit together

Info Update 4: GFB DV+ Packaging and Instructions

Info Update 5: Charge Pipe Loctite Meth Bungs

Dyno results from all the mods

Original post is below --

---------------------------------------------

Background:
- I've had my OG M2 "The Honey Badger" for nearly two years, and have done a few choice upgrades (some cosmetic, others for handling, one bolt-on).

- My driving style and philosophy is all about driving feel and handling rather than straight line speed and power. My M2 is also my daily driver, kid carrier and grocery-mobile as well. After 2 years and 37,000 total miles (of which 33,000 are my own), I am still firmly in the "I'm never going to sell this car" camp.

- I don't care about track lap times although I plan to get into track days/autocross for fun, but it's not going to be that often. I don't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, either. Just to paint the picture.

- The happiest place for Honey Badger is in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina, where I normally go at least once a year, but am planning to go more often. The car is incredible as is on those roads, with (with my current handling mods, basically Ohlins R&T, -2.1° front camber, lowered slightly for looks, SS lines and Castrol SRF). Any road with curves is a win for me and HB.

Current mods/info
- Akrapovic DP w/SportCat is the only "bolt-on" mod I currently have. Love it.
- At 33,000 miles or so, my charge pipe popped off, so I know they break
- Manual transmission.

Goals/Ideas
My goal is to keep stock power (no tune), let the engine breathe, upgrade weak components, improve throttle response/reduce turbo lag. I'm also looking to not spend crazy money, and will DIY any upgrades myself.

Relevant mods planned
- Akra exhaust -- will wait to buy until I find a solid deal on a used one. This is also more for looks and sound than anything else, and something I've always wanted since I got the car.
- VRSF (new) or ER (used) charge pipe
- DV+ diverter valve upgrade for increased throttle response, thanks to this thread
- FMIC similar size to stock - seeing that it's useful even on stock power/tune but can increase turbo lag if it's too large. Guessing VRSF probably the best / cheapest option. But would want to have it somehow painted black to keep car looking stock/stealthy.
- Short shifter kit

Should that pretty much be the core stuff to do for my goals? I welcome your thoughts and suggestions!

Last edited by ddk632; 10-28-2019 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 3
Bee Pee1737.50
///Monika186.50
tenkies147.00
      03-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Made some progress on research and got a thumbs up from Mike over in the FMIC thread, so a small update on the plans:

Going to swap out the 3 (I think that's all of them, minus intake) plastic pipes for metal ones: charge pipe, boost pipe, and turbo inlet pipe. Think that's all of them, yes?

- BMS charge pipe
- Wagner Evo 1 Competition FMIC
- haven't decided on boost or inlet pipes yet
- BMS short shifter kit decided

Plan is to collect all the parts (at least that touch the engine bay) and do it all at once on a QuickJack
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      03-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Made some progress on research and got a thumbs up from Mike over in the FMIC thread, so a small update on the plans:

Going to swap out the 3 (I think that's all of them, minus intake) plastic pipes for metal ones: charge pipe, boost pipe, and turbo inlet pipe. Think that's all of them, yes?

- BMS charge pipe
- Wagner Evo 1 Competition FMIC
- haven't decided on boost or inlet pipes yet
- BMS short shifter kit decided

Plan is to collect all the parts (at least that touch the engine bay) and do it all at once on a QuickJack
FTP is the only company that sells the charge AND boost pipes, IIRC. Everyone else just sells the charge pipe. They sell a turbo inlet pipe, as well. I've dealt with their support too, very quick to respond and solve issues. Not so great at speaking English, but well enough to understand them.

I'm curious, why don't you want to tune the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
FTP is the only company that sells the charge AND boost pipes, IIRC. Everyone else just sells the charge pipe. They sell a turbo inlet pipe, as well. I've dealt with their support too, very quick to respond and solve issues. Not so great at speaking English, but well enough to understand them.

I'm curious, why don't you want to tune the car?
Hey thanks, good to know about the boost pipe from FTP. I may go that route then.

I read/saw pics that the FTP inlet pipe has a weird kink, so was thinking of the Pure Turbo new one that is the complete pipe. I'm still researching and definitely learning a lot.

As for tuning - I like the balance of power vs handling of the stock car. I can get on it hard in the canyons and not feel like the car is too fast. However I admit on anything that is more sweepery, the top end for sure is not there.

I feel like adding 80+ hp with a JB4 might sacrifice that balance, for example, create traction issues because of too much power.

Also I'm looking at long term reliability and longevity of the engine, and while the upgrades I'm making I think help to put less stress on the motor and turbo, adding a tune may offset some of that and create more stress. I also understand that the upgrades give more room for more power and equal stress as the stock car.

But honestly the more I go down this rabbit hole, I'm being more open to some kind of tune, maybe even the BMS "N55 Stage 1" which is not as aggressive as a JB4 would be a reasonable middle ground. 100 more HP will for sure have some drawbacks for traction and the overall character of the car.

Even just my Akra DP made a difference, in first and second gears (more in first really), hard pulls can see more of the traction light than before it. And, that only added 20hp throughout the range and nothing to peak power output. (I did before and after dyno).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
ddk632
United_States
Rep

So really I didn't want to tune since I'm not chasing straight-line speed and outright HP. However, if the stock ECU tune is not the best for the upgrades I'm doing, then it makes sense to do a tune that allows the car to make the most of the upgrades, not necessarily for additional boost or more power.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks, good to know about the boost pipe from FTP. I may go that route then.

I read/saw pics that the FTP inlet pipe has a weird kink, so was thinking of the Pure Turbo new one that is the complete pipe. I'm still researching and definitely learning a lot.

As for tuning - I like the balance of power vs handling of the stock car. I can get on it hard in the canyons and not feel like the car is too fast. However I admit on anything that is more sweepery, the top end for sure is not there.

I feel like adding 80+ hp with a JB4 might sacrifice that balance, for example, create traction issues because of too much power.

Also I'm looking at long term reliability and longevity of the engine, and while the upgrades I'm making I think help to put less stress on the motor and turbo, adding a tune may offset some of that and create more stress. I also understand that the upgrades give more room for more power and equal stress as the stock car.

But honestly the more I go down this rabbit hole, I'm being more open to some kind of tune, maybe even the BMS "N55 Stage 1" which is not as aggressive as a JB4 would be a reasonable middle ground. 100 more HP will for sure have some drawbacks for traction and the overall character of the car.

Even just my Akra DP made a difference, in first and second gears (more in first really), hard pulls can see more of the traction light than before it. And, that only added 20hp throughout the range and nothing to peak power output. (I did before and after dyno).
There are pictures of the FTP inlet pipe and the Pure inlet pipe in this thread. I don't immediately see any difference in their shape or any kink in the FTP pipe, but maybe I'm missing it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1499446

One of the reasons I was asking about tuning is to see if maybe you'd be better off future-proofing the car with something like the Wagner Evo2 Competition. That's what I have and don't notice a difference in lag between tunes. And if you decide to tune, you would be better off with that IC. Otherwise you lose money and time having bought the Evo1 and having to sell it to upgrade to the Evo2.

But yea, I totally understand what you mean with the traction issues. I upgraded to 255/275 wide tires and will upgrade to 265/285 after those wear out. It really is a rabbit hole, like you said.
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      03-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Actually that was the thread that gave me pause on the FTP. The kink is the circles part. Maybe link is a bad description.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Actually that was the thread that gave me pause on the FTP. The kink is the circles part. Maybe link is a bad description.
If you go to page 3 of that thread you see the Pure pipe has the same design.
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      03-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
If you go to page 3 of that thread you see the Pure pipe has the same design.
Missed that. Ok - thanks, so all 3 from FTP makes sense then.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
thedoluk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

forge make both pipes

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/coll...m135i-m235i-m2

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/coll...i-m235i-m2-n55

looks better to me
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      03-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi OP,
I can help you with mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
ddk632583.00
JTO245246.50
      03-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi OP,
I can help you with mods
Thanks Mike!
I'll probably PM you soon and take you up on that offer!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks Mike!
I'll probably PM you soon and take you up on that offer!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

DIY Update 1: Received parts, setup QuickJack, removed CP

Just a little update:

Ended up going with

VRSF Charge Pipe
VRSF Boost Pipe
Pure Turbo Inlet Pipe
GFB DV+
Wagner Evo I Competition FMIC

Thanks to Mike for working with me to make the choices, and order!

Got all my stuff in a while ago, but I had to wait for my QuickJack to arrive and to set that up.

So far, got the quickjack setup, and FMIC and charge pipe are out. Got stuck trying to undo the top clip on the boost pipe, so it's a multi-day project.

What's great is the car fits perfectly even raised with my small one car garage, so I can work multiple days as needed, around job and kids.

Going to grab some torx sockets from Harbor Freight so I can drop the water pump and get to the DV+, as well as try and get that boost pipe out.

BTW taking the charge pipe out, I had to get in at a tight angle to remove the 2 torx screws on the sensor, ended up macgyvering a tool together with a torx bit to get in there, worked like a charm!

Woot!
Attached Images

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Dang, how do you open your doors in there?
Appreciate 2
akkando5860.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      04-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Dang, how do you open your doors in there?

I back in at an angle and park close to the wall, driver side opens fully.

Obviously for the lift, I parked it centered.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #17
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT

Which quick jack do you have? 3500, 5000, 7000?
How is the progress and project difficulty? I have turbo pipes and FMIC, and thinking of installing them by myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Info Update 1: QuickJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Which quick jack do you have? 3500, 5000, 7000?
How is the progress and project difficulty? I have turbo pipes and FMIC, and thinking of installing them by myself.
I got the BL-5000SLX from Costco

I wouldn't risk the 3500, since the OG M2 weighs in so close to that limit. Plus, I've read that the 3500 is shorter and can cause issues lining up the blocks with the mounting points on many cars. For peace of mind the 5000 is 100% worth it. Also, a floor creeper is a must for making the most of the quickjack.

Progress for me is slow, mostly because it's my first time doing anything in the engine bay of a car. Done work on bikes, but there are little gotchas like the various clips and stuff that I take more time with than someone experienced with BMW car work.

Also I'm doing the work around my job during the week and handling kids safety gear, getting them sorted to scooter, skateboard, bike etc, while I'm in the garage, so my time gets broken up a lot.

I took one weekend to fully set up and test the quickjack, including couple store runs to get oil, a siphon because I overfilled it, etc Then one half of a weekend day to get car set up properly and figure out position of car on lift in garage, make sure the hood doesn't hit anything when open on lift, etc... and read some stuff and watch DIYs, removed belly pan, removed fmic and charge pipe, and got stuck removing boost pipe.

Difficulty so far, and I think for the whole job, lies mostly in accessing hard to reach clips or bolts in tight areas.

For me the cost savings of installing all this stuff, pretty much pays for the QuickJack. And it's a great feeling of accomplishment to know I am doing the mods myself, feel like I will enjoy them that much more. So, I say go for it.

I think without distractions and having all the tools, you can do this whole job in one day Assuming QuickJack is set up. Definitely in a weekend.

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 1
PiK61.00
      04-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
ddk632
United_States
Rep

DIY Update 2: All 3 pipes out!

Keeping this thread going as a documentation of the work. I hope it helps others.

So, yesterday, put my new lights together which made working both under the car and from top of engine bay 100 times easier/better. QuickJack, creeper, and portable lights are a must!

I was able to think clearly yesterday and realized, if I turn the boost pipe from under the car, I can position the top clip (the whole pipe turns) in a way to access it from the top with a screwdriver, at coming in from the back of engine bay toward the front. Got it out after 20 minutes of fiddling. Just need to get a flathead screwdriver in there and turn it. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of what that looks like, but might do one for a re-enactment

Next was turbo inlet pipe. First, dropped the water pump by removing 3 E10 torx bolts, two visible from below the car, one at the top of the water pump, not visible but easily felt. Purchased torx / "E" sockets the prior day and was easily able to get a ratched in there and take those bolts out. (See photos).

This allowed easier access to the bolt that holds the inlet pipe to the turbo, which was a 10mm hex bolt, removed with a socket bit on a straight handle (not ratchet, which would be angled and harder to use), again quite easily.

Now for the first mess-up --- there is a T25 torx bolt holding the crankcase ventillation hose to the turbo inlet pipe. I could not for the life of me get in there, mostly I think because I don't have an angled torx bit, like an allen key but torx. Maybe need to see online to purchase this. Any of my other tools were too large to get in with any leverage to turn the bolt.

To make matters worse, I spent 20 minutes tightening instead of loosening it (doh!) and stripped it. Ended up cutting the inlet pipe to get it out, then working the ventillation hose upward and using a T27 bit to remove the stripped bolt. Luckily, the Pure Turbo inlet pipe has a hex bolt, so I'll be able to use an angled allen key to get that tightened when I put it back.

So, all 3 pipes are out, woot! It's hard to tell in the last photo, but that's the top of engine with intake moved out of the way and empty space since charge, boost, and inlet pipes are all out.

Next up: Remove diverter valve.
Attached Images

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 1
PiK61.00
      04-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #20
ddk632
United_States
Rep

DIY Update 3: Painted FMIC

On another note, a little side project -- painting a logo on the FMIC.

This was pretty cool.

My M2 is known as The Honey Badger. I found a logo online, which I traced in Adobe Illustrator into a vector, and had a friend cut it into a vinyl sticker/stencil.

Got some white engine paint from auto parts store (any high temp paint will do, and engine paint is definitely high temp).

4 coats about 20 minutes apart each.

Maybe a little over the top on my masking tape job, but with the FMIC core being black, I didn't want to risk paint particles getting on any other part of it. So, wrapped the whole thing in masking tape

Really happy with how it came out!

And, even though a few edges came out jagged, it IS a Honey Badger, and, as we all know... Honey Badger don't give a fuck!
Attached Images

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 3
MR_M2517.50
PiK61.00
ORG52.50
      04-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #21
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Thanks for such great documentation.
The tightness of the engine bay scares me a bit. I'm still spoiled from the e46 ease of access to everything (and that was with a huge twinscrew supercharger).

First time reading about DV+, very interesting stuff. My car is a daily driver so it spends most of the time in low boost bellow 4000 RPMs. Quicker throttle response would be nice.

Can't wait for the first impressions after the install.
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      04-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #22
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Thanks for such great documentation.
The tightness of the engine bay scares me a bit. I'm still spoiled from the e46 ease of access to everything (and that was with a huge twinscrew supercharger).

First time reading about DV+, very interesting stuff. My car is a daily driver so it spends most of the time in low boost bellow 4000 RPMs. Quicker throttle response would be nice.

Can't wait for the first impressions after the install.
Thanks, I'm glad it's useful!

Yeah I never worked on cars before and am used to tight spaces on bikes, so it's not too bad. Key is going away when frustrated and coming back with a fresh, clear mind. Always works.

I'm driving to Chicago this weekend via Tail of the Dragon, will definitely have some good impressions!

And planning to dyno on May 16th, see what the power curve looks like with these mods. Not looking for peak gains, so much as more usable power (if any) throughout the range.

I have a baseline chart, and also another chart after installing downpipe, which added +20hp almost everywhere but peak was the same as before.
Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00