BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Front seats weight

11-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Front seats weight

Does anyone have weight data on the front seat weight? Curious what weight savings am I looking at by replacing them with bucket seats. Plan to do that for next year's track season if the weight saving is going to be significant enough to warrant the mod.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Does anyone have weight data on the front seat weight? Curious what weight savings am I looking at by replacing them with bucket seats. Plan to do that for next year's track season if the weight saving is going to be significant enough to warrant the mod.

Thanks!
Found the answer here:
Supreme Power | M2 Track Build (Track Times & Dyno Testing) https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1455216

"As we pieced the interior back together, a pair of Recaro Profi SPG seats sit in place of the factory chairs. The stock seats weighed in at 56 pounds, while the Recaros only came in at 22. That way, the 70-pound weight savings would better make up for the 29-pound cage"
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      11-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I would like to be able to pull my seats for track days and put in a proper track seat and harness. A guy in the UK suggested it would be pretty easy to do as he did an install but never answered any questions about airbag warning lights etc. I drive 20k a year in my M2 and track about 10 days a year usually 2 days in a row so swapping out the seat 5 times a year to have better safety, comfort and headroom might be worth the effort. I can just add that to my brake pads and track wheel conversion.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I would like to be able to pull my seats for track days and put in a proper track seat and harness. A guy in the UK suggested it would be pretty easy to do as he did an install but never answered any questions about airbag warning lights etc. I drive 20k a year in my M2 and track about 10 days a year usually 2 days in a row so swapping out the seat 5 times a year to have better safety, comfort and headroom might be worth the effort. I can just add that to my brake pads and track wheel conversion.

Let us know what you decide to do.
I haven't thought about the airbag warning light, but think you'd just need to learn to ignore it. I don't DD my car, so I'd keep the seats in until the end of the season and swap in the OEMs to warm my buns in the winter.
Appreciate 0