BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Konig Wheels for Track?

06-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Konig Wheels for Track?

I'm looking to get some 18" for the track, and I found these: https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-...els/hypergram/

I like how they look and their price point (~$900 for a set) is extremely affordable. They are also decently weighted - 18x9.5 = 19.41 lbs, which is actually 0.6-0.9 lbs lighter than an Apex FL-5/SM-10!

I've heard they have a decent reputation in the Miata community, but I couldn't find any references on this forum for the M2. Obviously the cars are quite different so I'm not sure how they would hold up to abuse on the track.

I'm am waiting for an Apex group-buy to happen, but I'd thought I ask to see if anyone has had experience with Konig first!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Don't know to much about their Flow Formed wheels, but in the past there wheels were not known to be great quality. Remember the old adage...."you get what you pay for"

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Very true!

I'm leaning towards Apex now, hopefully they have a group buy soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

With wheels you almost always will get what you pay for (except the dressy crap that nobody needs). A Miata is so light and low powered you can probably put just about any wheel on and not have a problem, the M2 is not a light weight nor underpowered so I think going with a better wheel is wise. I ended up going with OZ Hyper GT, I was a little nervous going with a non-forged wheel but they are TUV approved which is a very high standard and I have seen those wheels used with slicks on an AMG wagon with a very fast driver (noise restrictions kept him from driving his Viper). Apex has an excellent reputation, I would feel very comfortable putting them on my M2 also. Short of those two options at the lower price range I could not find anything that I would put on my car.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      01-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Zli4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I used hypergram 18x8.5 on my focus st. It's 18 lbs/wheel. Went through 4 track days, about 20+ autocross events this last year. They are great wheels. The flow form is the same technology used by Enkei and others. A good percentage of people who do hpde are using the new konig wheels in the focus ST RS community.
Appreciate 0