BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > G-Power 500hp Turbo Installed and Compared to PS2. Testing and Datalogging

03-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #111
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

The Dinan turbo seems like the best bang for the buck and most convenient to me. There's no core and it's the cheapest. It may not be the ultimate best performer but it's on the proper end of the law of diminishing returns and ease of exchange.
Appreciate 1
M-Supra394.50
      03-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #112
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
The Dinan turbo seems like the best bang for the buck and most convenient to me. There's no core and it's the cheapest. It may not be the ultimate best performer but it's on the proper end of the law of diminishing returns and ease of exchange.
And, no lag....

Seems like SeanWRT setup is the only larger than Dinan turbo with only a tiny more lag. +40hp and a few grand more may be worth it if I ever get bored with the Dinan, but I don’t think I will.
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
M-Supra394.50
      03-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #113
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
And, no lag....

Seems like SeanWRT setup is the only larger than Dinan turbo with only a tiny more lag. +40hp and a few grand more may be worth it if I ever get bored with the Dinan, but I don’t think I will.
I'm dropping mine off Saturday for the break in service and Dinan turbo.
Appreciate 2
M-Supra394.50
ZM22783.50
      03-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #114
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
The Dinan would be a viable option if I didn't live in Europe (no Dinan dealer anywhere close). With shipping, taxes and tariffs it would be closer to €2,000.-. At that price point, the TTE460 sounds like a better deal.

TTE460 - €1,650.-
PS2 - €2,900.-

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      03-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #115
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Hi Sean,

Excellent and informative thread. Would you say the same holds true for the M235i N55?

Like you, I would be more interested in OEM-like consistency, power delivery and spool. I don't want to use methanol, ethanol or PI. I also do not want to upgrade my HPFP (except for the B58 pump maybe).

The PS2 seems to have the most turbolag and I would really want to avoid that.

The TTE460 and GP500 both seem like an excellent choice, but I am a bit confused about the price comparison between the two.

A local TTE dealer lists the TTE460 for €1,650.-. I would need a local mechanic to pull out the stock turbo (€1,200.-?), ship it, wait for TTE to modify it (estimate on their website is 30 days) and then ask the local mechanic to put the new turbo back in (€1,200.-?). Just upwards of €4,000.- total and I'd be stuck without a car for over a month. They also don't offer a core charge option so you either have to ship in your own turbo or buy a new one (€4k alone).

GP lists their GP500 turbo for the F22 for €3,991.93 including installation at their site. Their website does not mention any further details. It makes no mention of stock turbo removal, having to send it in up front or what installation actually entails. I dropped them an e-mail to get this clarified.

Any thoughts?
Everything I said applies to M235 EWG, except:
1) M2 turbofold is bit more free flow. So expect better ignition timing and lower EGT (exhaust gas temperature, a critical reliability/consistency indicator) with M2.
2) G Power doesn't seem to offer 500hp version turbo to M235. Though M2 version probably will physically fit M235. Don't quote me on this, double check with them.

With TTE and Pure, you can pay core deposit (refundable) so they ship you the entire turbo (inc. turbofold). And you ship back your old core when you finish the swap, and take your deposit back if your old core pass their quality inspection. There is no down time with your car.

G-Power does not accept core exchange, or so they told me in May of 2018. You either ship them a core for modification, or buy a new core from G Power (they source from BMW), or drop your car at their facility so they build the turbo and install it for you.

I chose to buy new core because:
1) I'm Asia based, I can't afford to have quality issue.
2) I can get VAT refund as a none European Resident.
3) I can have my old core upgraded to PS2/GP500/TTE460 and sell it, which I did.
4) G Power is special. A new turbo adds to its specialness

Quote:
I would argue TTE460 is a strong contender for the best bang for the buck, whatever gas you use. I still remember how my Dinan turbo got destroyed by a local TTE460.
At this day, that particular TTE460 (maxed out on pump gas by Halim) isn't much slower than my GP500 though I have power headroom. My 100-200 time is 8.0-8.2s, TTE460 being middle 8.5s. For benchmark, FBO stock turbo is low to middle 9s. FBO Dinan turbo is high 8s to flat 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
And, no lag....

Seems like SeanWRT setup is the only larger than Dinan turbo with only a tiny more lag. +40hp and a few grand more may be worth it if I ever get bored with the Dinan, but I don't think I will.
Should I know there was the M2C coming at so cheap price (I expected at least 20% more over OG, with the new engine, seat, wheel and brake), my whole plan could've changed. I'd skip the M2 entirely and went straight for a 991.2s/gts in late 2016.
I mean the performance of the GP500 M2 OG is great, but the fact M2C guy can get it effortlessly and more, at a much lower cost, bugs me. You know, I put so much effort into this extremely detailed tuning to get where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
The Dinan would be a viable option if I didn't live in Europe (no Dinan dealer anywhere close). With shipping, taxes and tariffs it would be closer to €2,000.-. At that price point, the TTE460 sounds like a better deal.

TTE460 - €1,650.-
PS2 - €2,900.-
TTE460, I really can't recommend it enough. Tremendous value for the money.
ZM22783.50
      03-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #116
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

I would argue TTE460 is a strong contender for the best bang for the buck, whatever gas you use. I still remember how my Dinan turbo got destroyed by a local TTE460.
Isn't the TTE460 twice the price of the Dinan?

https://www.etektuning.com/tte460-tu...r-for-bmw-n55/
vs $1749 (I'm getting mine for $1500) for the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #117
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Should I know there was the M2C coming at so cheap price (I expected at least 20% more over OG, with the new engine, seat, wheel and brake), my whole plan could've changed. I'd skip the M2 entirely and went straight for a 991.2s/gts in late 2016.
I mean the performance of the GP500 M2 OG is great, but the fact M2C guy can get it effortlessly and more, at a much lower cost, bugs me. You know, I put so much effort into this extremely detailed tuning to get where I am.
I hear ya, but I’m a total package kind of guy. There’s no way I’d buy a car that sounds like the S55, whether in BM3 Stg 1/2, CS, or CSL form. It just doesn’t do it for me.

Plus, I don’t care much about 100-200 times. For me, it’s all about how quick you can get your car around a track. So, I’m not worried at all about S55 BM3 Stg 1 cars bc most guys aren’t good drivers, and if they are, we’re getting into a power zone where brakes, suspension, and tire balance & setup will become the bottleneck. Those things I’m very good at setting up and managing, and driving around faster cars.

I’ll probably keep this car forever as it’s the perfect balance of performance, practicality, looks, and sound that I can drive on street or track. I can take it on a comfortable road trip with a full trunk, passenger, and dog; or, put tires inside and drive to the track, no trailer needed! Not to mention, the simplicity of maintaining an N55, and again, it’s lovely sound.

Anyways, I’m getting off topic.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #118
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Everything I said applies to M235 EWG, except:
1) M2 turbofold is bit more free flow. So expect better ignition timing and lower EGT (exhaust gas temperature, a critical reliability/consistency indicator) with M2.
2) G Power doesn't seem to offer 500hp version turbo to M235. Though M2 version probably will physically fit M235. Don't quote me on this, double check with them.
1) Sure, makes sense.
2) My bad. I thought the M235i application was practically the same as the M2 application (price is identical on their website). I will check with GP.

M2:

M235i:

The software tune they offer is 450PS for the M245i and 500PS for the M2.

Quote:
With TTE and Pure, you can pay core deposit (refundable) so they ship you the entire turbo (inc. turbofold). And you ship back your old core when you finish the swap, and take your deposit back if your old core pass their quality inspection. There is no down time with your car.
Sounds like I really have to reach out to the local TTE dealer then. Their website does not offer a core deposit option. If they really do offer a core deposit option over here, the TTE almost becomes a no brainer.

Quote:
G-Power does not accept core exchange, or so they told me in May of 2018. You either ship them a core for modification, or buy a new core from G Power (they source from BMW), or drop your car at their facility so they build the turbo and install it for you.
That's OK, depending on their response to my e-mail it may very well be worth an 8-hour drive to their shop

Quote:
I chose to buy new core because:
1) I'm Asia based, I can't afford to have quality issue.
2) I can get VAT refund as a none European Resident.
3) I can have my old core upgraded to PS2/GP500/TTE460 and sell it, which I did.
4) G Power is special. A new turbo adds to its specialness
Makes sense, thanks.

Quote:
At this day, that particular TTE460 (maxed out on pump gas by Halim) isn't much slower than my GP500 though I have power headroom. My 100-200 time is 8.0-8.2s, TTE460 being middle 8.5s. For benchmark, FBO stock turbo is low to middle 9s. FBO Dinan turbo is high 8s to flat 9.

TTE460, I really can't recommend it enough. Tremendous value for the money.
You really are making a strong case for the TTE460, darn!

Quote:

US vs. EMEA/APAC price differences I guess. A TTE460 would cost roughly $1,870.- here. Dinan would probably be around $2,000.- and a PS2 at least $2,800.- over here. Then the TTE460 suddenly becomes VERY interesting

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      10-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #119
Ramon89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sean,

Interesting thread about n55 HPFP [Bosch HPFP5] upgrade using oem B58 HPFP [Bosch HPFP5evo] - OEM upgrade that could get M2 HPFP near to the $2k+ XDI35 unit for ~ $200 !!!

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56996

BP
Here is the video that supports that claim.

Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      10-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #120
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon89 View Post
What has to be done to the pump and lines to make it fit?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #121
Ramon89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon89 View Post
What has to be done to the pump and lines to make it fit?
Not to sure. But my guess is you will have to drill new holes in the high-pressure fuel pump to match the location of the threads on the vacuum pump. And the wiring is identically the same plug and play, You might need to extend it. I imagine the fuel lines would fit like OEM maybe you will need to bent them a little to fit. The only one I can honestly think you will have a problem with possibly is with the one that goes to the fuel rail.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #122
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I really can't recommend it enough. Tremendous value for the money.
Quote:

Reread this thread and got interested in the TTE460. The 2 options to get the TTE-460, in the US are not great. 1.Paying $3k for a new OEM turbo and waiting 6-8 weeks. 2. sending your turbo and not driving your car for 6-8 weeks.
Has anyone else found another option like a core exchange?

https://www.etektuning.com/tte460-re...d-for-bmw-n55/
Appreciate 0