BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Muffler bypass with additional resonator

10-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

Muffler bypass with additional resonator

I want more sound from my car and Found a good deal on a fabspeed muffler bypass, just might have to snag it. But after doing some reading looks like there is a considerable drone with it? This is my daily driver and I take it on trips, just don't want it like my diesel was with 5" straight pipe pulling a trailer.

To combat this i'm considering adding another another resonator right before the fabspeed kit. anyone done this?

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewstd View Post
I want more sound from my car and Found a good deal on a fabspeed muffler bypass, just might have to snag it. But after doing some reading looks like there is a considerable drone with it? This is my daily driver and I take it on trips, just don't want it like my diesel was with 5" straight pipe pulling a trailer.

To combat this i'm considering adding another another resonator right before the fabspeed kit. anyone done this?
I don't believe adding a 2nd resonator will decrease drone, because a resonator is specifically designed to take the incoming exhaust and "rearrange it" to eliminate drone in the targeted rpm and frequency. So, my thoughts is that a 2nd resonator, after the 1st, would need to be specifically designed to modify the incoming exhaust that has already passed the 1st resonator. Which there isn't anything specifically designed to do that. Not saying it won't work, but it may require experimenting with different off-the-shelf resonators to find what you like at best. And unlikely to work at worst.

But, as far as the FB muffler bypass itself... I've seen others with that pipe immediately go back not because of the drone but because it's too loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:

Hey man, I'm the one selling the bypass. The drone isn't bad at all and I'm fully straight piped.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

hell if it's to loud i'll just have my buddy tig weld in a bullet style muffler and see what it does

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
hell if it's to loud i'll just have my buddy tig weld in a bullet style muffler and see what it does
Probably cheaper to have him make you a custom exhaust then, no? The Fabspeed item is like $1200. Even buying used, I'd still imagine it'd be cheaper for your buddy to fab up something.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

got the muffler bypass and it's def. not to loud, little drone but manageable

Appreciate 0