BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF or ceramic coating or nothing?

08-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

PPF or ceramic coating or nothing?

My M2 will be my daily driver. It will be garaged at home but maybe outside at work because I may not find a spot in the covered area. My last daily driver was a black 228i with no paint protection, I have gotten 4 visible rock chips in the last 3.5 years, but there are a lot of dents on the radiator. My commute is half city half highway. The road conditions are good except in the mornings, some semis will drive in the left lane and kick up small rocks that will fly 500m back and are impossible to avoid.

Should I get PPF or ceramic coating or no paint protection and polish the car every three years? I am planning to keep this car for a long time if it is reliable enough. Also is there a way to protect rocks from hitting the radiator? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
My M2 will be my daily driver. It will be garaged at home but maybe outside at work because I may not find a spot in the covered area. My last daily driver was a black 228i with no paint protection, I have gotten 4 visible rock chips in the last 3.5 years, but there are a lot of dents on the radiator. My commute is half city half highway. The road conditions are good except in the mornings, some semis will drive in the left lane and kick up small rocks that will fly 500m back and are impossible to avoid.

Should I get PPF or ceramic coating or no paint protection and polish the car every three years? I am planning to keep this car for a long time if it is reliable enough. Also is there a way to protect rocks from hitting the radiator? Thanks.
Depends on what you're looking for... Ceramic coatings won't protect against rock chips but they'll make cleaning the car a breeze and protect against UV/chemical damage and damage from road salt etc.

PPF would be good if you're looking to prevent the front end from getting pitted/chipped.
      08-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
HawaiiShrimp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (MT)

I'm doing PPF followed by ceramic coating with my car. That will provide the best protection from what I heard.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledAlva View Post
Depends on what you're looking for... Ceramic coatings won't protect against rock chips but they'll make cleaning the car a breeze and protect against UV/chemical damage and damage from road salt etc.

PPF would be good if you're looking to prevent the front end from getting pitted/chipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
I'm doing PPF followed by ceramic coating with my car. That will provide the best protection from what I heard.
Is it worth putting PPF on a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
ThinEdge
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
Considering PPF for my almost daily driver. In the NYC area seems like Lorenzo in the Bronx might be among the best places to have this done. Any other suggestions for PPF shops, and what would this typically cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Mines a daily and I have a very short commute. After 3 small (but noticeable to me) chips after 2 months of ownership I pulled the trigger on PPF. It was a quick fix with a touch up pen before taking in: Worked great for 2 small chips, the 3rd is somewhat larger and noticeable if you look closely. I went Full front: Hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors. I also had them replace the factory shark fin with a larger custom piece which looks outstanding! You can barely notice it's there.

Is it expensive, yes.

Is it worth it? Depends on your tolerance for paint damage. IMO, I am happy and should've driven the car straight there when I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Both!
      08-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Mines a daily and I have a very short commute. After 3 small (but noticeable to me) chips after 2 months of ownership I pulled the trigger on PPF. It was a quick fix with a touch up pen before taking in: Worked great for 2 small chips, the 3rd is somewhat larger and noticeable if you look closely. I went Full front: Hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors. I also had them replace the factory shark fin with a larger custom piece which looks outstanding! You can barely notice it's there.

Is it expensive, yes.

Is it worth it? Depends on your tolerance for paint damage. IMO, I am happy and should've driven the car straight there when I bought it.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Both!
Expensive for a daily!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Both!
Expensive for a daily!
Essential for a daily.
      08-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post

Is it expensive, yes.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
It was $2,600 out the door
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      08-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

PPF. Ceramic is waaaaaay overrated IMHO. To wit - I had my wheels ceramic-coated thinking it would help me clean off brake dust. It didn't make a bit of difference.
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      08-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #13
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
PPF. Ceramic is waaaaaay overrated IMHO. To wit - I had my wheels ceramic-coated thinking it would help me clean off brake dust. It didn't make a bit of difference.
Thanks for the info. Better stay away from it. Does your car have PPF?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Better stay away from it. Does your car have PPF?
I'm not suggesting you necessarily stay away from ceramic coatings; my experience is that they're just way too expensive for what you get.

Yes, I have STEK PPF: front bumper, half hood, half front fenders, rocker panels, "shark fin" replacement pieces, behind rear wheels, mirrors, and top of rear bumper (under trunk lid). Mine's a daily and I drive 80% highway miles so PPF is essential. It's already fairly nicked up if you look really close (19K miles), but that's what it's there for!

If you don't want to do that much, I think the front bumper, the hood, and the sections in front of the rear wheels ("shark fins") are most important. You won't believe how chewed up the area in front of the rear wheels gets otherwise.
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      08-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I think it's worth putting ppf on a daily driver if you know that rock chips and scratches are going to bother you. Sure you can repaint it but why would you want to go through that hassle if you can just put some clear bra on it from the beginning and have some peace of mind