BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > New member looking for advice for track days

11-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Gfarmer
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Hi I've just picked up my m2 ( first bmw) I had Stage 3 mk7 golf r before but decided for a change. Not planning on adding any more power or going crazy with mods on the m2 so looking at what I need for decent setup for few track days per year. I've read up that rsl29 seems to be pads of choice ? Front and rear ? Brake lines are ok ? I have super sports on the car just now which I plan on changing after a track day once I get used to the car. Any recommendations? Im in the uk so not sure if we get as much choice on tyres. I'll be keeping the standard wheels so looking for something that can do both road and some track work ? Car is not a daily car. Also I see camber plates have been mentioned or I'll kill my tyres ? What's best plates to get? Sorry for loads of questions that prob have been answered already I'm reading as much as I can trying to gain knowledge but I'm kinda of lost with bmw.
I'm looking forward to seeing some of the cars on here and reading up on what everyone's done 😀

Thanks
      11-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You'll burn up those expensive street tires without camber plates eventually. You're best off having a dedicated set for track use and some camber plates to make them last longer/wear evenly.

Edit: don't need brake lines. Front and rear race pads are a good investment. Just make sure to swap them out for track days, they're noisy as hell on the street.

Edit2: I should really read the whole question.. Ground control camber plates are highly regarded
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post
You'll burn up those expensive street tires without camber plates eventually. You're best off having a dedicated set for track use and some camber plates to make them last longer/wear evenly.

Edit: don't need brake lines. Front and rear race pads are a good investment. Just make sure to swap them out for track days, they're noisy as hell on the street.

Edit2: I should really read the whole question.. Ground control camber plates are highly regarded
I am in the same boat as you. I tracked my car stock last month and it did quite well. Pads were definitely starting to feel fried (lots of noise and vibrations), so I will replace those as well as fluid for the spring. I plan to kill the Contis and then put in camber plates (Vorshlag) and change the rubber to RE71Rs on stock wheels going to 255/35 front and 285/35 back. I may do steel lines front and back as well, since it is an inexpensive mod and will give me a peace of mind. For safety, I will do a 5 point harness and HANS device.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I tracked my car stock last month and it did quite well. Pads were definitely starting to feel fried (lots of noise and vibrations), so I will replace those as well as fluid for the spring. I plan to kill the Contis and then put in camber plates (Vorshlag) and change the rubber to RE71Rs on stock wheels going to 255/35 front and 285/35 back. I may do steel lines front and back as well, since it is an inexpensive mod and will give me a peace of mind. For safety, I will do a 5 point harness and HANS device.
You may already know this, but for most track clubs/groups if you change/add any of the safety restraints on the driver’s side, you have to do the same on the passenger’s side.

Also, you can find some discussion here and elsewhere debating the pros/cons of adding a harness without a full roll cage.

Personally, I get my seat set the way I like, back it up some, get in and click the belt off, then run the seat forward so the belt is tight on my lower and upper body.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

I started another thread on this awhile back and have been researching extensively for the past four months. Here is what i'm going to be doing to the car in the spring to gear up for some track time next summer. I will probably track my car 4 to 6 days next summer. I think the camber plates and pads are the most important items.

Vorshlag Camber Plates
Pagid RSL29 pads (swap out stock M compound pads before track day)
ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines
Castrol SRF Fluid
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires
Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harness & HANS
      11-29-2018, 01:58 AM   #6
Gfarmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
I started another thread on this awhile back and have been researching extensively for the past four months. Here is what i'm going to be doing to the car in the spring to gear up for some track time next summer. I will probably track my car 4 to 6 days next summer. I think the camber plates and pads are the most important items.

Vorshlag Camber Plates
Pagid RSL29 pads (swap out stock M compound pads before track day)
ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines
Castrol SRF Fluid
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires
Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harness & HANS
I've spoke to the garage that does all my suspension set up he's recommend cup 2 tyres to try get best of both but obviously on wet day I'm going to struggle a bit. I'm going for rs29 pads and lines and some new fluid. He's going to look at my car and see what he can do for suspension set up, I said to him I had been getting some advice on here about camber plates etc so see what he says. It won't be till after Xmas anyways as my car will spend the winter in my garage. What's the harness yous are using ? I was going to go down route of half cage in my golf for harness attachment and some solid seats as What I've leaned is don't fit harness with folding seats ??

Edit : I've just looked up the harness and they seem like a good bit of kit. Going to do some research into it thanks for the information
      11-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Gangster farmer, where are you located? I would highly recommend posting on the regional forums and get a reference for an experienced shop. In NoVA that shop is RRT in Dulles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:15 AM   #8
Gfarmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Gangster farmer, where are you located? I would highly recommend posting on the regional forums and get a reference for an experienced shop. In NoVA that shop is RRT in Dulles.
I'm in Scotland. The shop I use is very good it's just over an hour away from mine but worth it they have a couple m2 in and a m135i when i spoke to them.
      11-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Must be some beautiful driving up there. Rolling hills, open road and I would imagine benevolent policemen.
Appreciate 0