BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Aero?

11-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Track Aero?

Hey guys

I don't see much discussion about aero - just wondering if anyone here that regularly tracks has any significant aero mods - splitters, side skirts, wings etc.

I track the car roughly every month-every 6 weeks, my car is mostly stock apart from tune/intake/exhaust/seats

Wondering if big wings/splitters make a difference and if anyone can share.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by codylikerice View Post
Hey guys

I don't see much discussion about aero - just wondering if anyone here that regularly tracks has any significant aero mods - splitters, side skirts, wings etc.

I track the car roughly every month-every 6 weeks, my car is mostly stock apart from tune/intake/exhaust/seats

Wondering if big wings/splitters make a difference and if anyone can share.
If you are after improving your lap times, the best place to start is brake fluid, pads and stickier tires. You'll have any more downforce to go faster through corners, which you can't do on oem tires.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      11-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I believe weight (including aero) on the tire increases its traction regardless of if they're R-compound or snow tires, so you technically could go faster on oem tires by adding aero, but it would likely not be as cost effective ($/second) as R-compound tires, alignment mods, wider rims/tires, etc... I have tracked my 2018 M2 at BIR in MN, USA which includes a 150mph straight which ends with a 120mph turn 1 - the scariest part for me considering a lack of sufficient runoff area. I am interested in adding aero, but for me 2019 will be my first year with R-compound, wider rims and camber plates - not planning anything else. I might consider aero for 2020 or, I might look to get more HP instead through a new turbo, tune and E85 (aero sounds cheaper as I type) to increase the fun level. Not sure if that helps to compare my scenario with what you are thinking, but hopefully it gives you something to help you decide what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
What is the problem you are trying to solve? Do you have a noticeable deficiency you're looking to correct? If not, I'd hold off on adding any parts because it's a very slippery slope once you get started.
Appreciate 0