BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Collision Warning

08-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Collision Warning

Anyone know how to code out the collision warning sensor on an 18 ? I need to code out for track day.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Anyone know how to code out the collision warning sensor on an 18 ? I need to code out for track day.
Is there not a button to disable it on a 2018? I turn it off each time before I go on track in my 2017.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Thanks, yes the 18 has the collision warning and lane departure buttons. Should have read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Thanks, yes the 18 has the collision warning and lane departure buttons. Should have read the manual.
Just be aware the collision warning may turn back on each time you start the car, at least that's how it is in mine. My lane departure stays off.

Sometimes I forget to disable it on the track and then get a beep, then I have to fiddle with it on the track when I get on a straight, a little annoying but otherwise a good feature on the street.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Just be aware the collision warning may turn back on each time you start the car, at least that's how it is in mine. My lane departure stays off.

Sometimes I forget to disable it on the track and then get a beep, then I have to fiddle with it on the track when I get on a straight, a little annoying but otherwise a good feature on the street.
Some clubs put an extra sticker on your windshield to ID that your car has auto braking. That way, the guy in the pits will ask if you turned it off before going on track.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post

Some clubs put an extra sticker on your windshield to ID that your car has auto braking. That way, the guy in the pits will ask if you turned it off before going on track.
Interesting - that's a good idea
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

FYI, the M2 does not autobrake in the manner that many assume it does. All it will do is a audible alert and a brake tap to set the pads against the rotor. If your on the gas pedal you won't even feel it. I know this because on Thanksgiving night my car had a false alert and did the autobrake function while I was accelerating through a intersection with no cars, at night. Btw brought the car in and they did a recalibration and it hasn't happened again.

I leave mine on for track days most of the time because it doesn't do anything but the audible alert, in fact at the BMW Performance Driving School where you do high speed lead and follow very close they leave the systems on did about 14 hours of lead follow between two day M School and Advanced M and it barks at you all the time but not once did it brake in any way. There are many cars that have auto braking and most clubs rather than trying to differentiate between the systems just make it a point to have you turn them off.
Appreciate 3
CrashFL136.50
CSBM52695.50
      10-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
FYI, the M2 does not autobrake in the manner that many assume it does. All it will do is a audible alert and a brake tap to set the pads against the rotor. If your on the gas pedal you won't even feel it. I know this because on Thanksgiving night my car had a false alert and did the autobrake function while I was accelerating through a intersection with no cars, at night. Btw brought the car in and they did a recalibration and it hasn't happened again.

I leave mine on for track days most of the time because it doesn't do anything but the audible alert, in fact at the BMW Performance Driving School where you do high speed lead and follow very close they leave the systems on did about 14 hours of lead follow between two day M School and Advanced M and it barks at you all the time but not once did it brake in any way. There are many cars that have auto braking and most clubs rather than trying to differentiate between the systems just make it a point to have you turn them off.

It definitely does both in the(18LCI).

The beep + light tap to notify you if you are already at speeds following someone or driving through parking lots.

It also will do a very hard brake if you are accelerating and someone suddenly starts coming to a quick stop.

There are different factors at play, but it definitely can to the hard brake lol
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post

It definitely does both in the(18LCI).

The beep + light tap to notify you if you are already at speeds following someone or driving through parking lots.

It also will do a very hard brake if you are accelerating and someone suddenly starts coming to a quick stop.

There are different factors at play, but it definitely can to the hard brake lol
Agreed. Mine has also braked hard when an older Porsche in front of me braked hard but it's brake lights were broken so I didn't notice right away.
Appreciate 0