BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Bleeding brakes

08-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Bleeding brakes

I am running stock pads with Motul RBF600 fluid - two track days so far and pedal feel has been pretty good, even if a bit more stopping power would be nice. I did get some occasional vibration during the last event which I think was due to rotor deposits.

Question is... who here thinks its necessary to bleed after each event? I did so after my first event (might explain why they are holding up so well?) but I’m not sure if I truly need to do it before every event. Lots of different opinions.. what’s your take?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
I am running stock pads with Motul RBF600 fluid - two track days so far and pedal feel has been pretty good, even if a bit more stopping power would be nice. I did get some occasional vibration during the last event which I think was due to rotor deposits.

Question is... who here thinks its necessary to bleed after each event? I did so after my first event (might explain why they are holding up so well?) but I’m not sure if I truly need to do it before every event. Lots of different opinions.. what’s your take?
Depends what fluid you're running and if you boiled your fluid or not. As long as it feels okay, you'll be fine.

For me, I boiled my stock fluid on my second track day (pedal felt spongy and was going uncomfortably close to the floor). Once I upgraded to Castrol SRF, I haven't had to change it since. I'm also running track pads.
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      08-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Exactly what he said, if it has not boiled depending on the quality it can last a long time (I try to change it every year if not boiled, average 10 track days per season)

My friend has the same vibration problem in is 2017 M2 after 3 track days and from my searching its pad deposit, solution is replacing the pads and you should be fin afterwards.

Don't forget the front caliper have two bleeders on them !
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      08-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Racedev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I just got my M2 and have not tracked it. However I track my STI regularly.
My advice would be to bleed your brakes every time before you track as part of your pre-track prep. that is not to say that if you daily your car, after a hot track event, you should also bleed your brake. Change your fluid every 2-4 events. I don't like Motul. Try ATE fluid, they are awesome for me at least in the Subaru.
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      08-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I can't be sure if I boiled my fluid... I didn't get pedal fade, it was more the vibration towards the end of the second event that held me back.

Either way, both track days were extremely hot, so I will play it safe and bleed given this next one is my last meet for the season.

W/ track pads and a full flush before next season starts, hopefully I can go 2-3 events before bleeding again
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Racedev
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I can't be sure if I boiled my fluid... I didn't get pedal fade, it was more the vibration towards the end of the second event that held me back.

Either way, both track days were extremely hot, so I will play it safe and bleed given this next one is my last meet for the season.

W/ track pads and a full flush before next season starts, hopefully I can go 2-3 events before bleeding again
If you boiled your brake fluid, the pedal would have felt mushy at the track. They would feel normal on the road after they would have cooled off.

Although you can go 2-3 events, I strongly recommend that you take the time to bleed them every event. Its a small time investment vs the risk you are taking. you will find that there will always be a little bit of air formed from moisture and heat built up from your tracking activities and daily driving. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
PLF693762.50
dcmac438.50
      08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedev View Post
If you boiled your brake fluid, the pedal would have felt mushy at the track. They would feel normal on the road after they would have cooled off.

Although you can go 2-3 events, I strongly recommend that you take the time to bleed them every event. Its a small time investment vs the risk you are taking. you will find that there will always be a little bit of air formed from moisture and heat built up from your tracking activities and daily driving. Good luck.
Thanks, appreciated. Next season I'll buy the kit needed to bleed them myself, so it's not an expensive exercise taking the car into the shop after each event. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Racedev
Enlisted Member
Rep

ECStuning sells a power bleeder. Best money I have spent on a tool like that.
Yeah, no need to take the car anywhere. Get yourself a good car jack and 4 stands and you are good.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Depends what fluid you're running and if you boiled your fluid or not. As long as it feels okay, you'll be fine.

For me, I boiled my stock fluid on my second track day (pedal felt spongy and was going uncomfortably close to the floor). Once I upgraded to Castrol SRF, I haven't had to change it since. I'm also running track pads.
Switched to SRF from stock and haven't a single problem
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I haven’t tracked the M2 yet, but on my TT RS track car (20-25 track days a year) I use Castrol SRF with Pagid Yellow RS29 brake pads. I usually bleed the brakes every 4-6 events or right after I feel the pedal go soft on track. SRF has allowed for longer bleed intervals. I plan on the same regimen for the M2 when I start tracking it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Racedev
Enlisted Member
Rep

Silly question, but bleeding the brakes onbthe m2 is just like on any other car right? Meaing to odb2 software needed etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I use RBF600, I tend to bleed the system every 3 events, my events are full weekends so 2 days 4 sessions per day and 20 mins per session. That interval works for me.
Appreciate 0