BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > My first track day in the M2

01-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #45
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
So here's how it went.... car was fantastic, weather was not.... rain sleet and snow. Lots of slidey fun but easy to stay within the run in limits! Basically first run I went out with an instructor to get an idea of what the car could do. He assured me that they run BMW M4s from 200 miles full time on the track in the "M4 master experience" (basically a track experience run at most tracks in the UK) and then they get sold through the "approved used" programme so if you are after a used M4.... just dont get a white one, theyre all white! Second run was really wet. Lots of standing water. third run was pretty fun but was starting to get really dangerous. An e92 m3 which was being drifted ran out of talent and into the mud needing to be dragged out. Decided it was a good time to end the track time! Just left the car in sport and used the paddles throughout, it was too wet for anything else.
Quote:
So here's how it went.... car was fantastic, weather was not.... rain sleet and snow. Lots of slidey fun but easy to stay within the run in limits! Basically first run I went out with an instructor to get an idea of what the car could do. He assured me that they run BMW M4s from 200 miles full time on the track in the "M4 master experience" (basically a track experience run at most tracks in the UK) and then they get sold through the "approved used" programme so if you are after a used M4.... just dont get a white one, theyre all white! Second run was really wet. Lots of standing water. third run was pretty fun but was starting to get really dangerous. An e92 m3 which was being drifted ran out of talent and into the mud needing to be dragged out. Decided it was a good time to end the track time! Just left the car in sport and used the paddles throughout, it was too wet for anything else.
Good for you, congrats, glad you had some fun
Thanks! I had no problem with the brakes they felt fine if a little squeaky.... great fun car though. The balance in the chassis is very good, very adjustable and thats just in sport with everything on and taking it easy. After the run in service ill hopefully get some more stuff booked. But the general consensus at the track (there were a few bm guys one with both an M140i and an M2 at home) was that I need some pads for when its dry.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #46
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Oh - and regarding the MPSS tires - they are GREAT tires for the street. I absolutely love them. They are sticky, quiet and relatively long lasting. On track they are another story. On track I love the feel and the stick of the tires, but it is too easy to over drive them. They have relatively soft sidewalls and they tend to roll over during heavy track use. Ask me how I know!
Hopefully my stock Continentals will be looking like this real soon so I can replace them.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #47
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Oh - and regarding the MPSS tires - they are GREAT tires for the street. I absolutely love them. They are sticky, quiet and relatively long lasting. On track they are another story. On track I love the feel and the stick of the tires, but it is too easy to over drive them. They have relatively soft sidewalls and they tend to roll over during heavy track use. Ask me how I know!
Hopefully my stock Continentals will be looking like this real soon so I can replace them.
+1
      01-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #48
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
So you recommend Pagid RS29 for brake pads. What about brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #49
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
I have not had my car on the track yet (season was over shortly after break-in service). Hope to start in April at Mid-Ohio (my home track).
I've been told to get camber plates and run a square set-up. Can anyone recommend what camber plates to get and what alignment is good? I'll get track pads (RS29) and would like to get your opinion on brake fluid for track and DD use. I will mainly use this car for DD use, with a few track weekends each year, as I've retired from racing my 911.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:41 AM   #50
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Fluid castrol SRF. Not used it on the bimmer but used it in the past and it works well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Fluid castrol SRF. Not used it on the bimmer but used it in the past and it works well.
Is this brake fluid okay to use on the street as well? I am looking for a brake fluid to use mostly for daily driving with occasional track use.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by emargul View Post
Is this brake fluid okay to use on the street as well? I am looking for a brake fluid to use mostly for daily driving with occasional track use.
At $60 a bottle, it better. :lol

It's fine to use on the street.
Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      01-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #53
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emargul View Post
At $60 a bottle, it better. :lol

It's fine to use on the street.
Hahaha thank you!
Appreciate 0