BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

04-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #441
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

It's been discussed in the past that the CS will replace the current version as the standard version. The GTS is too extreme for my needs. I'm worried that the CS isn't going to get the special upgrades like exhaust and suspension. Leaving the door open for a special edition CS.....And on and on. Make you wonder if the "big brake" test mule is the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #442
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Some interesting info surfaced in the M2 section of the German forum '2erTalk' (sources: here, here and here):
  • January 2018: M2 CS ordering process starts
  • March 2018: M2 CS goes into production | S55 engine | 410 hp | no limited edition
  • March 2019: M2 GTS goes into production | S55 engine | 450 hp | limited edition/production (the '999' figure has been heard, but could change)
Time will tell if the above information is accurate. Interesting, to say the least. First time that I read that the M2 GTS is definitely scheduled. I thought it was just some pipe dream. But actually, this could make sense if you consider BMW M special models history: a limited edition M2 GTS as the final curtain call for the first-generation M2 (end of production: 2020).

Below: screenshot shows that the M2 CS is scheduled to go into production in March 2018 at the BMW Leipzig factory (source: here)
(note 1: "F87CS" is mentioned, rather than "F87COMP" or "F87COMPETITION"; note 2: where is the F87 M2 LCI ?!):
Attachment 1603052
Can someone from insider verify whether GTS will be equipped with manual or not before GTS even gets press released???
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #443
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
It's been discussed in the past that the CS will replace the current version as the standard version. The GTS is too extreme for my needs. I'm worried that the CS isn't going to get the special upgrades like exhaust and suspension. Leaving the door open for a special edition CS.....And on and on. Make you wonder if the "big brake" test mule is the GTS.
I mean when it comes to GTS, if the price is not extreme then I'm down to buy the "extreme" GTS version since I'm only gonna drive the car for the weekend probably. My only concern is the transmission for sure. I want the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:45 AM   #444
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
there are test mules of the standard car with the LCI lights on, and then there are ones of the CS version with LCI lights. So, there should be two versions, the regular M2 LCI and the M2 CS (or whatever it will be called) with LCI. Common sense and logic would dictate that. The M3/M4 are offered in standard trim level or Comp trim level, and the CS adds another trim level to the M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #445
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The M4 GTS got sold out quickly, the M2 demand exceeded initial expectations and competition packages proved to be popular. Such facts get you a better case if you need to convince company bean counters that also M2 variants are worthwhile to produce: these will sell too and be beneficial for the ///M brand.

Forthcoming: M4 CS and M2 CS.

See the BMWBlog interview with BMW M boss Frank Van Meel at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show (January 2017) (01:18 to 03:13). No need reading between the lines to know that he's hinting towards M2 variants (too):
"For us the M4 GTS is and was a halo car which helped M a lot regarding communication in 2016. The cars were sold out immediately. What was more important for us was that this car, driving 07m28s on the Nürburgring, is within the super sportscar league, even though it is a series production car building its base. But it's typically what M stands for to bring that motorsports properties into a car that can also be used on everyday roads. And it also strengthened the performance of the M3/M4 as the base cars that were behind that. And we are really happy with that car and we still have a lot of demand even though it's already sold out for a long time. But there are many people saying «Please make another special car or more special cars». And we're going to react to these demands and bring more special cars in the future. Well, the M2 has exceeded everyone's expectations. The customer demand has been so big that we're still working on increasing our production volumes to fulfill our customer needs, but we plan to get it in balance again in the year 2017 so that we get more cars available for our customers. We do plan to continue this tradition of making special models, especially the fact that the demand for competition packages was/is so high with M3/M4 is for us a signal to continue this in the future with more models, as well as the fact that the M4 GTS was sold out immediately which also had a long tradition with M3 special models. But we're planning to do that more often, not only to wait 5 to 7 years, but to bring more special models on a shorter time base."
      04-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #446
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The M4 GTS got sold out quickly
There are a few still sitting on dealer lots at MSRP.
Appreciate 2
StephGOD218.50
stefan2349.50
      04-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #447
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
Like new records in a record shop: officially 'sold'.
      04-16-2017, 05:10 AM   #448
Danne_485
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2015 AY

Looks like there has been a 2k-ish price bump to the base model already. At least when I configure mine on the local BMW page. Is this because of every forthcoming car being the LCI or just because they can because of the high demand? Happy easter everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #449
YasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
Can someone from insider verify whether GTS will be equipped with manual or not before GTS even gets press released???
I just hope that someone in here from BMW is reading this...

Please, we need a manual option for the CS. I was hoping to upgrade from my 2016 M4 to an M4CS but I was crushed to learn that it would only be DCT.

Please, enthusiasts need some love also!!!!
Appreciate 2
Gatte1193.00
      04-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #450
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM4 View Post

Please, we need a manual option for the CS. I was hoping to upgrade from my 2016 M4 to an M4CS but I was crushed to learn that it would only be DCT.

We absolutely need a manual on the M2 CS. If not, we will take our money elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
YasM481.50
      04-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #451
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
There are three on display at my local dealer. The salesman told me they have a total of 9! My jaw dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
We absolutely need a manual on the M2 CS. If not, we will take our money elsewhere.
I still have hope that they will, they are certainly moving away from it on the flagship cars that are setting the records, but given the detuning of the S55 you have to think BMW don't want the M2 CS to be *too* fast and so a manual may be ok.

Sadly despite a lot of great cars coming out recently there aren't that many that are manual. The 6mt competition at the m2cs pricepoint is most likely the cayman s, the stingray gran sport and the camaro zl1. Of any of those I'd probably rather 'downsize' to the regular M2. But that's me.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #452
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
Sadly despite a lot of great cars coming out recently there aren't that many that are manual. The 6mt competition at the m2cs pricepoint is most likely the cayman s, the stingray gran sport and the camaro zl1. Of any of those I'd probably rather 'downsize' to the regular M2. But that's me.
Apparently, the new Cayman S is expected to be faster than the Porsche GT4 on a track. I don't think BMW can price the M2 CS at the same price as the Cayman S if it cannot match the performance.

They still may at which point I, like a lot of other people will promptly switch to a porsche.
Appreciate 1
bogeyman106.00
      04-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #453
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Apparently, the new Cayman S is expected to be faster than the Porsche GT4 on a track. I don't think BMW can price the M2 CS at the same price as the Cayman S if it cannot match the performance.

They still may at which point I, like a lot of other people will promptly switch to a porsche.
Nurburgring times:

718 Cayman S 7:46.7

981 GT4 7:42

Not faster but not far off
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #454
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Have you seen the price of the M4 CS?! - over £30k more than base M4 here in the UK.

I'm not holding out much hope for the M2 CS let along CSL/GTS!
Litchfield built M235i - Astoril blue, 6MT, Custom Akrapovic exhaust, AST 5100 suspension, Quaife differential, Eibach anti roll bars, Radtec intercooler, custom trimmed steering wheel, Litchfield remap
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #455
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland View Post
Have you seen the price of the M4 CS?! - over £30k more than base M4 here in the UK.

I'm not holding out much hope for the M2 CS let along CSL/GTS!
Indeed £89k

That a lot more than comp pack

Is it that much better ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #456
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Of course not. Small gains for a £30k premium. But for some this will be pocket change as there is always a market for these things. It is not aimed at the most folks, only a die hard few. £90k on an M4 is just madness though. I'd say this puts the M2 CS around £65k. I was disappointed at what the M2 delivered for my £48k spec, there is no way it will deliver the goods (for me at least) with a circa £65k price tag.

Much better ways to spend your money!
Litchfield built M235i - Astoril blue, 6MT, Custom Akrapovic exhaust, AST 5100 suspension, Quaife differential, Eibach anti roll bars, Radtec intercooler, custom trimmed steering wheel, Litchfield remap
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
bogeyman106.00
      04-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #457
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
Nurburgring times:

718 Cayman S 7:46.7

981 GT4 7:42

Not faster but not far off

Put the Cup 2s from the GT4 onto the S and its faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #458
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Of course not. Small gains for a £30k premium. But for some this will be pocket change as there is always a market for these things. It is not aimed at the most folks, only a die hard few. £90k on an M4 is just madness though. I'd say this puts the M2 CS around £65k. I was disappointed at what the M2 delivered for my £48k spec, there is no way it will deliver the goods (for me at least) with a circa £65k price tag.

Totally agree
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:24 AM   #459
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

It won't be long before you can get a 36 month old M4 for circa £30k. The discounts have sent prices crashing. The M4 CS pricing is ridiculous though. That extra £60k could buy some really nice additional cars but each to their own. If the M2 follows the same route, like many others I'll be looking at alternatives.

BMW have this fixation with lap times. They need to understand they can't compete with Porsche.

It's no surprise there's no mention of a limited number for the M4 CS. I doubt they'd hit the target for the UK at £89k.

A fool and his money...

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #460
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM4 View Post

Some of us will save a lot of money
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #461
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Just put in a second deposit at the same dealership for the GTS/CSL in case I exercise my right to buy the CS first from the same dealership.

In such a scenario I will no longer be first in line for the GTS IF it gets made so just want to be sure.

It's all up to BMW now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #462
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Just put in a second deposit at the same dealership for the GTS/CSL in case I exercise my right to buy the CS first from the same dealership.

In such a scenario I will no longer be first in line for the GTS IF it gets made so just want to be sure.

It's all up to BMW now.
That's such a 2016 move bro ...

already
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00