05-06-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Thumbs down My Mode Carbon Experience

I don't normally post threads on vendors and my experience with them but I feel like I've been jerked around by Mode Carbon out of NYC so much so that I need to pass my experience on to those in the market for some carbon parts for their car - make your own opinions, I am not telling anyone what to think. Sam@ModeCarbon

1/12/2022 - I put my order in for a F87 M2 Competition GTS Front Splitter, I immediately get an email the same day letting me know that my splitter is "In Production" and that my estimate delivery date is 2/28/2022. This is the ONLY email I will ever receive from their automated process.

2/28/2022 - I get no updates on shipping or anything so I send an email to Info@ModeCarbon.com to ask if there's an update.

3/3/2022 - I get a response back from Sam (the Director of Marketing for Mode Carbon) that he is "waiting to hear a confirmed ship date from (his) manufacturing supervisor" and that they "look forward to having (my) order shipped out ASAP"

3/10/2022 - I get no updates so I send another email asking what the status of my order is.

3/12/2022 - Sam tells me that "Your order should be ready to ship any day now" and that he will "follow up with (his) manufacturing supervisor and let (me) know if it has been completed in this week’s batch of finalized products. (I am) next up on (their) orders list to receive the very next unit"

3/22/2022 - I get no updates so I send another email asking what the status of my order is. This time I get a call from Sam from his cell phone letting me know that unfortunately Mode Carbon has run into some issues as a company (I won't go into the details of what issues they were facing as Sam told me this in confidence) and that in fact there are 3 separate orders AHEAD of me that need to be fulfilled. But he assured me that in fact my lip had been manufactured just 2 days prior and is sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped any day now. He tells me most likely within 2 weeks.

4/4/2022 - I get no updates so I send another email asking what the status of my order is.

4/5/2022 - I get no updates so I send another email asking what the status of my order is. I call Sam's cell phone and leave him a voicemail asking what the status of my order is

4/6/2022 - I call Sam's cell phone and leave him another voicemail asking for my order status. I then try calling Mode Carbon's "Customer Support Line" at (845) 359-2470 only to find out the line has been discontinued. I start freaking out at this point thinking these guys are running scam or something - but then finally Sam calls me back an hour later. This time Sam tells me that my lip was manufactured last week (clearly forgetting his 3/22 conversation with me where he told me it was manufactured on 3/20) and that it is sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped, but due to company issues he can't release the product to me and I'll have to wait on Mode Carbon to resolve their issues before I can get my lip. I tell Sam that I think its unprofessional for Mode Carbon to be passing on their company issues to their end-customers. At that point Sam offers me $100 off my order (a WHOPING 6.7% discount). I tell Sam that I could care less about $100 and just want me lip ASAP to which he immediately jumps on the idea of providing me expedited shipping (clearly he'll pay less than $100 to expedite shipping). But I'd rather get my lip than not, so I agree - but I also give Sam an ultimatum that I want my lip in 2 weeks or I will cancel my order.

4/8/2022 - Sam sends me an email to reiterate our phone conversation about my "order (being) shipped within 2 weeks and (Mode Carbon) will upgrade shipping for you at no additional cost."

4/18/2022 - I get no updates so I send another email asking what the status of my order is and whether I will receive it by 4/20.

4/19/2022 - I send another email asking for verification that my lip will be sent by 4/20.

4/20/2022 - I send another email asking for verification that my lip will be sent out that day. I also call Sam and leave a voicemail asking for confirmation of shipment.

4/21/2022 - I send another email questioning the lack of communication. Sam then calls me to tell me that my order isn't ready to ship (almost sounds like they're in the process of manufacturing the lip???) and that he will ship the lip to me next week. (Clearly not remembering that I previously gave him an ultimatum on 4/6). I tell him to cancel the order. Sam profusely apologizes and tells me he doesn't want to lose my business but understands my decision, but would like for me to provide an email response confirming my cancellation, and that it should take 3-5 days after he gets the cancellation email to refund me. I email back that I would like to cancel and receive a refund.

4/22/2022 - Sam calls me to ask me if I'm sure I would like to cancel my order - he's fairly certain that my lip will be ready to ship PRIOR to refunding my order. I'm surprised because I clearly asked him to initiate the cancellation on 4/21 and he still hasn't done it. So I tell him again to give me my money back.

4/29/2022 - No refund issued so I email Sam asking where my refund is.

5/2/2022 - No refund issued so I email Sam asking where my refund is.

5/3/2022 - I call Sam's cell phone and leave a voicemail asking where my refund is.

5/4/2022 - I call Sam's cell phone but his voicemail box is full. I call the Mode Carbon "Customer Support Line" which surprisingly is back up and running! It rings endlessly, but I hold for 30 minutes while it rings - no one ever answers. I send Sam an email asking how they can conduct business in this manner and to please refund me by Friday or I will post my experience ordering from them on the forums. Clearly looks like this didn't phase anyone at Mode.

5/6/2022 - I call Sam's cell phone - which is turned off and not accepting calls, I call the Mode Carbon "Customer Support Line" which is also out-of-service and then I send Sam an angry email asking where my refund is.

I never received a lip, and I never received my money back. At this point I think I have to call my credit card company and open a fraudulent claim against Mode Carbon - but I don't even know if that will work since I paid for this non-existent product over 4 months ago. Mode's customer service is abysmal, I had to initiate every communication and check on the order myself, I received conflicting information that contradicted itself from Mode, and just overall I am at a loss as to how this company can continue to operate.
Appreciate 9
RideM317.00
MooMooM21819.00
FaRKle!4017.00
DVM2NJ0.00
swampfox941186.50
jkoral1023.00
Smiler1.50
IM2C2066.50
      05-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

This is just terrible. I've considered Mode Carbon parts several times, but this makes me pause for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
Gabhart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Sorry you had this experience and thank you for sharing. So happy I went with another vendor!

Good luck on getting this resolved!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
These guys don't deserve to be in business anymore... Or given the ability to keep spamming the forums like they do.

Diverged Concepts should be a good replacement for you if you still want a GTS style splitter.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 4
MooMooM21819.00
///MPhatic13862.50
      05-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agree. All that spamming and can't either 1. keep the product in stock. 2. actually ship the thing in a timely manner.

Also nothing is more frustrating than trying to get a refund and not only not getting it but getting ghosted (has happened to me a few times). At this point Mode should try to save its reputation by refunding you immediately and really send you a free lip.

I don't have a diverge concepts gts lip but talked to the dude that sells em and not only was super responsive but also seems like a great dude. Not to mention that right now he has the lips for $750 (which sucks since I want one but just have some other things my money has to go through atm). Lips are hand made in Europe too.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Informative post . Was about to buy their trophy rear diffuser.

Was also recommended AGAINST mode carbon from a guy who use to advertise for them on his m2c.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Well its basically close-of-business this week and I haven't gotten a single message or response from Mode Carbon today. I filed a dispute with my credit card company and provided them all the emails back-and-forth with Sam as evidence. I'll let my credit card company deal with the black hole of communication that is Mode Carbon, I honestly can't be bothered anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Sorry to hear about the mess. The CC company should issue you a refund without too much work. Basically, if Mode Carbon is as responsive to their inquiry as they are yours, which is to say totally unresponsive, then they will refund without hesitation. I had a similar issue with an online seller and the easiest part of the whole ordeal was getting the CC to refund.

Last edited by maxcbrdriver; 05-06-2022 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:57 PM   #9
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Cc company will definitely refund your money. Sorry to hear about their service. I had a similar dealing with another carbon company, but they did refund my money. Autotecknic, ind, horizon motorsports, psm dynamic, and even turner all have better service. I'm waiting on turner to ship some psm dynamic parts now, but after I ordered, and BEFORE they charged my card, they contacted me to be sure I was OK waiting. I'd try any of the companies I mentioned. Obviously some are distributors and some make their own parts, but I've had good experiences with them all.
      05-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #10
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Too busy spamming this forum to get you your money back. They should be banned from here
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
This guy isn't merely a bad vendor, he's a lying sack of shit criminal. May karma come down on his ass with great vengeance (or whatever Jules Winfield would say).
      05-07-2022, 06:49 AM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I don't know if Mode gets their parts overseas, most of these outfits do, and we're going to see a lot of them go out of business real fast as the supply chain locks up again. Most of these companies don't have the customer service skills to handle a crisis situation…so their first instinct is to keep collecting the money, keep stringing the last few customers along, then cutting and running. The days of buying shipping containers worth of parts and reselling for profit with minimal effort is over.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #13
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
When I had my 18' M2, I ordered a Performance Carbon Fiber spoiler from them. Packaging was horrible and it was damaged in 3~ locations. Also I don't believe it was made of "Pure Carbon Fibre". It was heavy!

Mode was actually pretty good about shipping another one to me. Felt like it was dropped shipped from their vendor as I dont remember the second box having their logo on it. Same thing.....box bent with the spoiler damaged in the center and nearly no protective material in the box. Only the wrap on the spoiler iteself.

I just gave up and tossed them in the trash. Ended up getting an actual BMW CF spoiler from IND. Was like 4 times lighter than the CF ones that Mode shipped lol.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #14
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

The mods are happy to ban people pointing this out so they can continue to take their sponsorship money.

I’m happy to see more people finally speaking up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #15
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

There's a reason why Mode Carbon was banned across the entire BimmerPost forums. Surprised they were even let back
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #16
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

I rely on the mods to watch for this sort of thing & ban spammers & scammers. Especially with things like "Gold Level Sponsor" under their names. Conveys
a degree of trust forum members can rely on when making a purchase. Thankfully I read a lot of reviews of these clowns where many folks complained of poor service, and of not getting parts or refunds. Decided to look elsewhere.

Still sort of surprised as well that they're not banned on here.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #17
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
Still sort of surprised as well that they're not banned on here.
It’s calculated, and no accident. Operating a forum is a business not a public service or charity. Caveat emptor and what not.

Still, it’s annoying to see it just continue unaddressed.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      05-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #18
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had a below average experience with Mode Carbon, but I had product issues myself rather than service. I ordered a spoiler with them roughly 2 years ago (F87) and fitment of the spoiler was awful, emailed them and got a replacement after jumping through some hoops (they kept insisting I installed it wrong) and the replacement had some weird clearcoat/carbon buildup on the edge of the spoiler keeping it from sitting fully flush.

I cut my losses and just lived with it, but Mode asked me to go through a lot of rigamarole to show the fitment issue, and then told me to post a thread with pics of the new spoiler.

Rubbed the wrong way and took my business elsewhere for the rest of my purchases. IMO their prices are not reflective of their quality because longterm that replacement spoiler had also started to bend up at the edges.

I'm sorry to hear about this OP, I'm a bit surprised they have such a bad rep honestly- they seemed like a really high market brand from all the adverts...
      05-09-2022, 03:27 AM   #19
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Unfortunately we haven't had a positive experience either. Acting on behalf of 2 of our clients, we've had wait times of over 7 months for dispatch of items. Similar communication issues.

Currently Driving: '23 G87 M2, '22 BMW M240i xDrive, '18 F87 M2, '98 E36 318is

@AUTOID | WWW.AUTOID.CO | SALES@AUTOID.CO
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #20
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Makes no sense. I really hope they get banned from the forums.