BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Removing dead pedal

07-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2

Removing dead pedal

I have M performance pedal kit installed on my car from the factory. I need some advice on how to remove the dead pedal. I have done fair amount of research and there are bunch of suggestions. Some say that it is glued while others suggest that it is attached with screws. In any case i have tried to remove and was not successful.

Can you please provide some insight on this, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

If you had the M-perf pedals installed on the car from the factory, why do you want to remove the matching dead pedal?

People usually want to remove the dead pedal to match a different pedal set they purchase. In any case, I believe it's glued and held with a plastic rivet. But it never seems to work out well when people remove it and try to replace it. GL!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Looks like it snaps into place.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
If you had the M-perf pedals installed on the car from the factory, why do you want to remove the matching dead pedal?

People usually want to remove the dead pedal to match a different pedal set they purchase. In any case, I believe it's glued and held with a plastic rivet. But it never seems to work out well when people remove it and try to replace it. GL!
I am getting all of my pedals powder coated satin black...i removed 3 of them without any issues, but no luck yet with dead pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Looks like it snaps into place.
Unfortunately i don't think it's the same. Some people say it snaps, some say it's glued and others say it's bolted on...but no-one knows for sure,
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishutka View Post
Unfortunately i don't think it's the same. Some people say it snaps, some say it's glued and others say it's bolted on...but no-one knows for sure,
That's the same part number RealOEM lists for the M2. But maybe RealOEM is wrong. They've been wrong before.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
That's the same part number RealOEM lists for the M2. But maybe RealOEM is wrong. They've been wrong before.
Well, i am about to go and yank it super hard, will report soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
I am getting all of my pedals powder coated satin black...i removed 3 of them without any issues, but no luck yet with dead pedal.
As the M Performance dead pedal is a stick-on addition to the standard dead pedal, you should be able to pry it off - or cut it off with fishing line. Removing it might cause damage, but you can always buy another and have that power coated.

The stock finish is satin black plastic for the dead and gas pedals, with black rubber for the middle pedal(s). Maybe just revert to stock?

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-06-2022 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

when I removed mine I definitely broke it
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

So, to reiterate: If you just want to refinish the M Performance Dead Pedal cover - there is no reason to even try and remove the stock dead pedal.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:10 AM   #11
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I believe the metal part is glued on and you could maybe remove that part very very carefully to refinish it and then re glue it. It would be a pain in the ass but I suppose it could be done
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #12
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

I stupidly removed the deal pedal b/c I thought it "clipped in". Looking on eBay there a lot of "removed" pedals for sale.

The dead pedal appears to be GLUED to the foam under the carpet. If you rip it up you will see holes where the pegs went in but will NOT see the broken pegs. I believe this is b/c whatever the process used dissolves the pegs and bonds it to the foam.

Luckily I was able to purchase a new dead pedal but need to test the old one to see which glue will hold it to the foam w/o ruining the new pedal pegs and it not bonding properly.

The dead pedal shown in the video is NLA.

The dealer service said there wasn't a BMW TIS explaining how to attach it. Maybe Betalink would work? Anyone know?

The new part and process is to R&R the D/S carpet. Removing the D/S seat, side panel (w/hood release), under panel, gas pedal, etc is easy enough but to R&R the carpet requires removing the ENTIRE center console and then some.

HTH some folks.

Let me know if you anyone wants pictures.

Quote:
I would suggest purchasing one w/broken pegs from eBay and using a heat gun to see if you can "easily" release the adhesive holding the silver part to the plastic dead pedal. Might be a challenge to release it w/o bending the metal and/or melting the rubber strips?

Last edited by omasou; 06-07-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It is not attached with adhesive. The pegs are longer when the carpet is assembled. The pegs are then heated and pressed flat making it part of the carpet and that is what breaks when you pry the dead pedal from the carpet.