BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > IND | BMW M Performance Side Grille DIY

06-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bs41bot View Post
where can you buy just the top piece? looks like on iNDs site, you can only buy them as a set with the back plate???
Yes, that's true.. I havent seen any sources for just the gloss black top skinny part with the 'M2' on it.
      06-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #24
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Did mine today, agree this has to be the easiest mod i've ever done, both wiggled off no problem, on with the new & job done.
So you can do it this way, take just the chrome piece off...

Anyone have a video just to be sure?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #25
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Dont think there's a video for this.. But the first post in this thread is a detailed description of how its done with pics, which is the next best thing.. For those who cant wiggle it off with just your fingers, as I posted earlier, I got mine off using dental floss slipped in between the mat black backing and the chrome top piece. Slip it in, gently tug while prying up with your fingers or a flat pry tool.. It will come loose without snapping off the thin plastic catch-prongs.
      06-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It’s very easy. Did both sides in less than 5 minutes. I feel bad for anyone that went through the work of removing the entire piece and the process of removing the old adhesive, prepping, etc. You just wiggle and pull in the middle area and the two clips will give up and then it’s just a matter of unsnapping each end. Feels like a bit of a waste you have to purchase the entire piece.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #27
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0YS View Post
So you can do it this way, take just the chrome piece off...

Anyone have a video just to be sure?
I don't have video but can confirm you can just replace the chrome bar with the black one. You can literally just stick your finger nail between the tip and backing plate and it will pop right off. But to be safe you can use fishing wire or dental floss and slide it between and pull outward on one end. 10 seconds per side, seriously. Note, when you pop in the new one make sure you hear or feel it snap in on both ends since there are 2 clips.

Last edited by OGM2; 06-10-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
PAC63.00
      09-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #28
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Install video has been posted.

09-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #29
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Oh, sweet, good to know I can just change the top part. Too bad it's not available separately.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #30
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Sorry to revive an old thread.. but had a quick question regarding the side grilles from IND.

I purchased my M2C used and the previous owner had the IND side grilles w/ the painted bar matching the car (Hockenheim Silver) w/ carbon backing. I'm not a huge fan of the matching painted bar, and would rather go back to the OEM look.

Is it possible to remove the painted portion and replace with the OEM (gloss black) bar but while retaining the carbon backing?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #31
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread.. but had a quick question regarding the side grilles from IND.

I purchased my M2C used and the previous owner had the IND side grilles w/ the painted bar matching the car (Hockenheim Silver) w/ carbon backing. I'm not a huge fan of the matching painted bar, and would rather go back to the OEM look.

Is it possible to remove the painted portion and replace with the OEM (gloss black) bar but while retaining the carbon backing?
Yes, the bar can be removed through careful prying.

That being said, I'm surprised you don't like the color matched bar. I added painted side grills onto my LBB M2, but I went with a gloss black background instead of CF. I always felt the factory side grill looked cheap and was done for no reason other than it was cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #32
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Yes, the bar can be removed through careful prying.

That being said, I'm surprised you don't like the color matched bar. I added painted side grills onto my LBB M2, but I went with a gloss black background instead of CF. I always felt the factory side grill looked cheap and was done for no reason other than it was cheap.
I would also prefer the black over the paint matched but yeah I do also think the plastic look kinda cheap and painted black would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #33
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

It's a small thing, but also tricky. I didn't like the matte black backing plate, but didn't see many options. I didn't like the idea of that piece color matching the car bc then it looks like you are trying to hide it poorly. So I went with the gloss black instead as it matches various trim pieces. At that point, you kinda have to go with the bar being color matched bc you don't have any other choices. Now i suppose if you have the CF backing plate, you could go with a gloss black bar and that would have just enough contrast to look good.

In any case, it's all totally subjective. What we do for our M2s!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #34
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
To each their own, I guess. I like the gloss black bar, I too agree that it matches the rest of the trim pieces on the car and ties in everything nicely.

As for the backing plate, completely agree with it looking cheap in the matte black plastic color. Hence why I'm keeping the CF backing.

Good to know that it can be pry'd off! Hopefully I don't break it.
Appreciate 0