BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So I considerd picking up a C6 vette....

07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #67
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Absolutley agree 100% I think the part that got people all in a tizzy was the comment about the (lame attempt) of a new camaro being slower than the 335
Honestly, I do get kinda pissed when people say it handles like a boat, because that's just not true. Many people in here would already have passed judgement on the interior and handling before even taking that test drive, therefore damning the results.

The new Camaro is technically not as nimble as the 335, as it relies on its huge power advantage (what is it - 426 vs 306 or something like that?) at the Ring, but the fact of the matter is in order for it to beat the E46 M3 and the 335 around that track, it in no way is a boat, even at 4000+ pounds. The car can go fast, in a straight line, and where you have to use the wheel as well. It's a damn fact now.

And the Douchy McDoucheterton who made the mullet comments has already established himself as an ignorant badge whore in this and other threads, so I won't even bother addressing that again. BMW drivers have to fight off some pretty unwanted stereotypes precipitated by people exactly like that, just as Maro drivers have the mullet/wifebeater stereotype to deal with.

Regardless, the worst part of the Maro's styling, to me, is the tail lights, which unfortunately is the part of the car we'll see the most of, especially if racing.

EDIT: And nobody start with the "well I got a JB3, catless DP's, FMIC, blah blah blah" because the Camro will respond incredibly well to a plethora of available mods, and still walk home with more cash in his wallet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #68
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

Newsong - I actually agree with you saying that the vette is a sports car, pure and simple. It's good at being what it is. We drive luxury sports cars, and they do it well.

However, remember you're on a bimmer forum! Between ripping on other people, BMWs, all with having a Bible verse as your quote, you come off as a hypocrite. Seriously, WTF is your objective? Let's bash BMW fanboys on a bimmer site. Smart...

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go on a Vette forum, and bash on mullet-wearing fanboys.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #69
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah of course I chose the 335 for a multitude of reasons. But just because I chose the car that was best for me, that doesn't instantly make this car quantitatively better than any other one. So many badge whores here just don't get it. The best car for someone is the one that best fits them and their situation. Period. Not track times, not tunability, not the materials on the dash, and not the price tag. No one or combination of those will make one car ALWAYS and generally quantitatively better than another.
Man, this is the most even handed opinion I've seen on this thread. Maybe there's hope for this forum yet...

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #70
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
EDIT: And nobody start with the "well I got a JB3, catless DP's, FMIC, blah blah blah" because the Camro will respond incredibly well to a plethora of available mods, and still walk home with more cash in his wallet.
http://www.magnacharger.com/pr10.htm

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #71
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Looks incredibly tasty.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #72
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
Newsong - I actually agree with you saying that the vette is a sports car, pure and simple. It's good at being what it is. We drive luxury sports cars, and they do it well.

However, remember you're on a bimmer forum! Between ripping on other people, BMWs, all with having a Bible verse as your quote, you come off as a hypocrite. Seriously, WTF is your objective? Let's bash BMW fanboys on a bimmer site. Smart...

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go on a Vette forum, and bash on mullet-wearing fanboys.
I don't understand how I'm bashing the 335i, or M3. If you read this thread, I actually say they are capable cars, but the fanboy comments like "The Camaro can't turn", or "The Vette is just good in a straight line like all American cars", is just plainly false. "Bashing" would be me attacking someone for no reason, meaning he brought up a valid point, and then I just told him to "eat a taco" (which someone told me in this thread).

For instance, Persian54 stated his opinion about the Vette and how he prefers the 335i. His opinion was a valid take on both cars, and he stated why he liked one over the other. Notice I didn't even debate him? No need.

I hangout on 6SpeedOnline and CorvetteForum, if someone over there calls the 335i a heavy grocery getter with no power, you better be sure I'm going to call him out and explain the virtues of the 335i. But you know what? I find most Corvette owners or Porsche owners don't say immature things like that because for one:

1)Vette Owners tend to be actual MotorSport enthusiast who bought the car for the performance and track capability. Badging means little to them.

2)It's an older crowd of professionals at 6Speed and CorvetteForums. A lot of the posters here on E90 are buying their Bimmers and spending half their income, and only bought the car because of the badge prestige (young person's mistake). You don't get a lot of badge snobbery at 6Speed or VetteForums because "adults" usually don't equate their self worth to what kind of car they're rolling around in.

And for your information, I used to own a fully loaded E92 before I gave it to my parents because they had no working cars. So I didn't come upon this forum randomly.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #73
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:

And the Douchy McDoucheterton who made the mullet comments has already established himself as an ignorant badge whore in this and other threads, so I won't even bother addressing that again. BMW drivers have to fight off some pretty unwanted stereotypes precipitated by people exactly like that, just as Maro drivers have the mullet/wifebeater stereotype to deal with.

"Douchy McDoucheterton"

You know, GM has gone through some tough times recently, but they are making some high class performance cars now days. The C6, and the Camaro are two of the best performance bargains in the WORLD right now, and it's funny to me that people constantly bash a company and its product when they are trying to restructure their company and image to deliver a good motorsport product for a reasonable price, and SUCCEEDING.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #74
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

i don't know about Vette forums since I haven't spent much time reading those, but Porsche forums? Equal number of badge whores and fanboys on there as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #75
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
with no options and 84,xxx miles...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Is that enough for you? All fairly low mileage (some still in warranty) E92 335i's with lots of packages for $26k - $28k.

I don't even know how this is debatable. The 335i market (as well as other luxu-euro cars) is incredibly soft.

This is how you can tell there is a lot of "badge and prestige" issues here because people actually want the price of the car to be "higher" which is worse for the consumer.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #76
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
i don't know about Vette forums since I haven't spent much time reading those, but Porsche forums? Equal number of badge whores and fanboys on there as well.
Are you seriously going to say 6SpeedOnline has the same amount of fanboyism that is present here?

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #77
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Completely different purpose cars altogether. You can't compare them at all. I've owned a LS1 Camaro SS, and LS6 Corvette Z06, and now the E92 335i. They are all different, and for different purposes.

IMHO, I segment the 3 as:
- Camaro - Cheap high HP, easily modded car, great bang for buck, at home at the dragstrip.
- Corvette - Incredible performance for the price. Easily modded, at home on the road course & mountain roads.
- BMW - Great all around luxury sports coupe. Jack of all trades - Master of none.

Power-wise, both LSX cars are on a different league. My cam-only Camaro put down 410rwhp and my cam-only Z06 put down 440rwhp. Do I want my E92 to do that? Not necessarily, but I foresee a Dinan flash in the future. Do I want the E92 to outperform my previous Z06? Absolutely not. The Corvette was for pure performance. The E92 is for the comfort, the luxury, and its got enough grunt for when I want to have some fun.

BMW owners are stereotyped with the 'holier than thou' attitude. Sorry guys, an M3 will never be in the same league as the Z06/ZR1. But a family of 3 will never be in a Z06/ZR1 doing 0-60 in sub 5s either. Enjoy your car for what it can do, and don't bash what others can do better.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #78
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post

Is that enough for you? All fairly low mileage (some still in warranty) E92 335i's with lots of packages for $26k - $28k.

I don't even know how this is debatable. The 335i market (as well as other luxu-euro cars) is incredibly soft.

This is how you can tell there is a lot of "badge and prestige" issues here because people actually want the price of the car to be "higher" which is worse for the consumer.
easy, not trying to bash here just stating that you picked an car that had incredibly high mileage and virtually no options to prove a point. ive been looking for 335i's for a long time now and modestly equipped 335's run around the 32-35k range.

and clearly the "luxu-euro" car market is soft (show me one that isnt now) but i also would argue that the "luxu-euro" market is better off because these higher priced cars are targeted at individuals that are not substantially effected by the current economic situation. Also, most people who are faithful to the "luxu-euro" brands will stick with them, even in hard times. I know that my local BMW dealership in Indy (Dryer and Reinbold BMW) still moves just about the same number of BMW's now as they did 5 years ago, however they do receive more lease returns and bank seized cars than before so no economic class is unscathed by a recession.

again, not bashing, just a friendly debate
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #79
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
and modestly equipped 335's run around the 32-35k range.

again, not bashing, just a friendly debate
Are you talking CPO'd or non CPO'd? Non-CPO'd 335i's with some warranty left have been sub-30k modestly equipped for months now...

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #80
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Jesus, this thread got out of control. I am no badge whore by any means. I had a 96' camaro before this car a long time ago and this inside felt the exact same. It was quick but the paddle auto doesn't make it feel quick. I drove the car plenty to know how it feels so it wasn't 5 minutes are whatever peope want to think. Damn, we have tools on this board after reading the comments. No wonder why BMW owners get a bad rep.
      07-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #81
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
Jesus, this thread got out of control. I am no badge whore by any means. I had a 96' camaro before this car a long time ago and this inside felt the exact same. It was quick but the paddle auto doesn't make it feel quick. I drove the car plenty to know how it feels so it wasn't 5 minutes are whatever peope want to think. Damn, we have tools on this board after reading the comments. No wonder why BMW owners get a bad rep.
I don't think anyone called you out specifically, did they?

I respect your opinion. Because you left it at that; your opinion. It's when the fanboys jump in and start bashing about something they've never driven or maybe haven't even touched, that's what pisses me off. How dare anyone say anything good about a Chevy on a BMW forum! My 335 is better than anything with a Chevy badge on it! Shit like that pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #82
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
w/85K miles on it. you can also get ones that have been in major accidents or repo'd for a good price too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #83
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Are you talking CPO'd or non CPO'd? Non-CPO'd 335i's with some warranty left have been sub-30k modestly equipped for months now...
agree....335's with 35-50k miles with limited options have been around the 30k mark for a while.

ill just leave it at that and walk away

ok now im done
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #84
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Interesting read. Very few owners of both cars have posted here (just one?), so thought I'd chime in. I've owned a C6 for 2 years (6MT) , and had 3 E90 335s (currently also have a 6MT). The Vette is an awesome car, period. Best bang-for-the-buck sports car you can buy new. The interior is actually very well done, and not cheap at all IMHO.

And the Vette has some features that I wish BMW would implement, starting with the awesome heads-up display. This simply works, and once you're used to it, it's hard to go back, frankly. The controls, particularly the trip computer and maintainence functions, are very well done on the Vette as well.

Performance wise, each car is unique. Vette has more power, but it does have a more "American" feel to the suspension (front is heavy, a bit floaty, steering is fairly light). Not that the BMW is better, its just that each is different. I can understand driving a BMW, test driving the Vette, and being a bit perplexed.

Perhaps the nicest element of the Vette: it was never in the shop, once. I put 30k miles on it in 2 years, absolutely fault-free. The BMW has been in a couple of times and is currently down at the dealer for the HPFP.

And as some of you know, I sold the Vette 2 months ago, not because I didn't like it, but that one of my dream-cars has come down so far in price, I was able to sell the Vette and purchase an 05 SL500 for about the same cost. Now, the Mercedes....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #85
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
Interesting read. Very few owners of both cars have posted here (just one?), so thought I'd chime in. I've owned a C6 for 2 years (6MT) , and had 3 E90 335s (currently also have a 6MT). The Vette is an awesome car, period. Best bang-for-the-buck sports car you can buy new. The interior is actually very well done, and not cheap at all IMHO.

And the Vette has some features that I wish BMW would implement, starting with the awesome heads-up display. This simply works, and once you're used to it, it's hard to go back, frankly. The controls, particularly the trip computer and maintainence functions, are very well done on the Vette as well.

Performance wise, each car is unique. Vette has more power, but it does have a more "American" feel to the suspension (front is heavy, a bit floaty, steering is fairly light). Not that the BMW is better, its just that each is different. I can understand driving a BMW, test driving the Vette, and being a bit perplexed.

Perhaps the nicest element of the Vette: it was never in the shop, once. I put 30k miles on it in 2 years, absolutely fault-free. The BMW has been in a couple of times and is currently down at the dealer for the HPFP.

And as some of you know, I sold the Vette 2 months ago, not because I didn't like it, but that one of my dream-cars has come down so far in price, I was able to sell the Vette and purchase an 05 SL500 for about the same cost. Now, the Mercedes....
Yeah I never understood people calling the C6 interior cheap and ugly, when I think it compares very favorably to the E9x interior (having owned a fully loaded E92 and spent lots of time in a C6).

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #86
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Yeah I never understood people calling the C6 interior cheap and ugly, when I think it compares very favorably to the E9x interior (having owned a fully loaded E92 and spent lots of time in a C6).
new song what do u drive now? and dont tell me focus. if u dont feel comfortable telling anyone and wanna pm me i wont tell anyone.
      07-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #87
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
new song what do u drive now? and dont tell me focus. if u dont feel comfortable telling anyone and wanna pm me i wont tell anyone.
Heh.

Yeah, to be honest, I try to keep what I drive to myself on "most" forums I post on. I find it makes things a lot easier when discussing a topic because it takes away bias.

For instance if I drove a Z06 (not saying I do), then people here would automatically assume that I'm only arguing the Vette's positive qualities because I own one, and that generally goes down a direction that just gets ugly and pointless.

If you want to know what I drive, send me a PM and I'll send you a clue in return.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #88
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
I have to second that. I drove my Vette hard, and modded the engine internally also with the cam/springs/rods, and it never gave me a single issue. I bought the car with 48K on it, and sold it a year and a half later with 85K on the clock. My previous LSX car, the '01 SS I bought new, and sold it with 85K on the clock also. Never an issue, except for a broken u-joint after installing cam/springs/rods @ 60K, and many a drag strip passes.

I've only owned my E92 for a little over 2 weeks now, so I can't speak for its reliability yet.
Appreciate 0