BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > $ The M4 Premium $

02-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

I don't like the M4, it looks awkward and sounds even worse. If I was a bigger douchebag I'd find a way to overcome its flaws and buy one anyway. Then I could look down upon those poor pathetic unsuccessful M2 owners and laugh at their poverty...
Appreciate 5
      02-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #24
jc9elfer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BSM M2, 08 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
What premium would you pay to get into a M3/M4 vs a M2?

I'm my view, the $14k sticker premium certainly isn't worth it.

However, as deals will inevitably be had on the cold old M3/M4 as everyone wants the M2 at MSRP, what's it worth to you?

I'm thinking I'd make the jump for $5-7k difference- which should be very achievable in reality.

I know it's less about $ and more about size for most, myself included, however, the M4 is more car and still should command some sort of premium. I'd put my size preferences aside to get more car for the right price.

Thoughts?
Good question, but as strange as it may sound, i would be buying the M2 at M4 price. I love the smaller footprint and the fact that for at least the next couple of years, not everyone will have one. I intend to spend my savings from not buying the M4 on M Performance CF and perhaps some aftermarket stuff from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

4 seat, rwd, 6mt. There really aren't many choices. Luckily my kids are done with college and productive members of society but if they were young, I'd pay a $5k premium for an M3. If the premium was more than that, they'd just have to fit in the back of an M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
It's not about money. Many people do not like the M4 due to the huge size of it including me.
The m3 has grown at every generation. The M2 is a step in the right direction.
Cherish the 'back to basics' approach.

Name:  SoapBoxDerbyRacer.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  SoapBoxRacing.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  47.4 KB
      02-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #27
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

You guys are so lucky and it would be a tough decision if the difference between an M2 & M3/M4 was a few thousand dollars.

Here in Australia you are looking at around a $50,000 AUD premium to move up to an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72
You guys are so lucky and it would be a tough decision if the difference between an M2 & M3/M4 was a few thousand dollars.

Here in Australia you are looking at around a $50,000 AUD premium to move up to an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #29
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cherish the 'back to basics' approach.

Attachment 1372269
Attachment 1372270

Artemis, your pictures are classic and always give me a good laugh

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:11 AM   #30
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
Everyone is so aggressive. Don't be irrational. Just a discussion. I never once mentioned HP.

No offence !

It is not about you, but there are some members overhere who will look only after HP numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Slayer View Post
Artemis, your pictures are classic and always give me a good laugh
A bit of entertainment sometimes helps to air the room when the conversation gets a little too hot.

Name:  Batman_Moose.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  189.1 KB
      02-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #32
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

I know we are in the M2 section of the forum, however it's funny and sometimes quite pathetic how many future owners aggressively try to justify their choice. It would seem ordering a M2 and accepting/imposing it as the "ultimate driving machine" has become the sine qua non condition of a "true" BMW/car enthusiast, some times to the point of almost derision... Talking exclusively about pure driving experience compared to M3/M4 (let's face it, a driving machine nevertheless, also ignoring financial and technical differences) might seem a little bit hypocrite especially from the same members having openly dismissed a smaller, more focused, challenging, raw, lighter, simpler, manual (no rev matching), exclusive, etc. 1M ...

I do personally think, as others already stated, that the price difference with a (especially) M3 / M4 has it's importance and even if the M2 will be a very good car it will remain the best compromise BMW M could make at this very moment, trying to not completely compromise it's relations with the (I guess, soon to be gone ) old school enthusiasts. But even so and quite paradoxical to some extent, it seems this will not protect the M2 becoming sometimes a "fashion victim" and a posers aspirational product...

Just my HUMBLE opinion, trying to remain objective and respect all other's choice....
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
I know we are in the M2 section of the forum, however it's funny and sometimes quite pathetic how many future owners aggressively try to justify their choice. It would seem ordering a M2 and accepting/imposing it as the "ultimate driving machine" has become the sine qua non condition of a "true" BMW/car enthusiast, some times to the point of almost derision... Talking exclusively about pure driving experience compared to M3/M4 (let's face it, a driving machine nevertheless, also ignoring financial and technical differences) might seem a little bit hypocrite especially from the same members having openly dismissed a smaller, more focused, challenging, raw, lighter, simpler, manual (no rev matching), exclusive, etc. 1M ...

I do personally think, as others already stated, that the price difference with a (especially) M3 / M4 has it's importance and even if the M2 will be a very good car it will remain the best compromise BMW M could make at this very moment, trying to not completely compromise it's relations with the (I guess, soon to be gone ) old school enthusiasts. But even so and quite paradoxical to some extent, it seems this will not protect the M2 becoming sometimes a "fashion victim" and a posers aspirational product...

Just my HUMBLE opinion, trying to remain objective and respect all other's choice....

In short and with all due respect;

Everyone is entitled to make his/her own judgement, choice, decision.

Everyone has the right to make his/her own mistakes.

Everyone has an obligation to learn from those mistakes !!
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #34
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post

Maybe...

However, I generally think your comments above are not necessarily correct. Is there some justification going on relative to the reasons some want an M2 outside of price? Sure. But that isn't the only reason. As I said earlier in this thread, for some people, the price isn't the decision point at all.

Yes, the M2 is an entry level M car and, yes, it has certain compromises and reduced specs. That doesn't mean it won't provide a unique (to BMW at the moment) and excellent driving experience on many levels. Some people choose the car because of what it actually will be and that's what they want. I was on the fence relative to getting a competition package M4 this summer or the M2. Decided on the M2. Price and features like merino leather, weren't part of my decision in any meaningful way. The size and what I believe the driving experience to be were the reasons for me and I'm willing to bet many others. That's not me justifying the M2... it's what mattered in my thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
In short and with all due respect;

Everyone is entitled to make his/her own judgement, choice, decision.

Everyone has the right to make his/her own mistakes.

Everyone has an obligation to learn from those mistakes !!
Yep...
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #35
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Lots of opinions here...

$14k gets u...

A completely different ///M engine.
Carbon fiber parts and composites.
An extra 80 HP...
More Customizable M settings.
An adaptive suspension.

Those are worth the price to many...
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #36
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Lots of opinions here...

$14k gets u...

An extra 80 HP...
An adaptive suspension.

Agreed... clearly the extra things the M3/4 offers are worth the price IMO. Lots there for the price difference (although in some countries the difference is a LOT more ). However, just because the extra stuff might be worth it does not, necessarily, mean someone would still choose the M3/4. It's a very personal decision based on all kinds of factors.

I will also say this... if the M2 doesn't offer the driving experience I expect it will, it's not tough to sell it and get another M4 next year I'm optimistic it will be all I hope given the very positive, and generally universal, initial feedback and reviews.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #37
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2
What premium would you pay to get into a M3/M4 vs a M2?
I wouldn't. I was all excited to get on the list for an M2 but was late to the game. My local dealership said I was in the 60s! I was reluctantly going to settle for an M3 (wife wanted 4 doors) until I lucked into an HEA out of town.

Even if they cost exactly the same, I'd choose the m2.
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #38
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post

Would you pay $64,495 (base M3 price) for an M2?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      02-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #39
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Many people love the M3/4 but sales have been disappointing in the UK. Rumour has it that a 20% discount will be above shortly to help the dealers shift more units. That will more or less put the M4 at the same price as the M2 over here
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #40
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Lots of opinions here...

$14k gets u...

An extra 80 HP...
An adaptive suspension.

I agree its worth the $14,000 price tag. I just sold my LCI M3 as well and waiting on my M2. Loved the M3 but wouldn't mind the smaller footprint and cheaper lease payments. If i had lots of money, i would have kept the M3 longer.

You also get the one piece seats and mirrors on the m3/m4 too. ?.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #41
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post

Would you pay $64,495 (base M3 price) for an M2?
I am also very confused with Confusion's post. Same price and will still choose an M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #42
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasevo9 View Post
I am also very confused with Confusion's post. Same price and will still choose an M2.
Because to him, the M2 is the better car? Jesus Christ, how is this hard to understand?
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #43
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Because to him, the M2 is the better car? Jesus Christ, how is this hard to understand?
Someone didn't take their happy pills today.

You sound like an M4/1M owner.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #44
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Everything is so black and white in these parts.

Can't believe how much, "I wouldn't take a M4 for free but I'd pay $100k for a M2" type stuff there is.

It's likely that my thread is just stupid. Garbage in, garbage out I guess.

These two cars really are so similar and share so many of the same internals when you compare them to the spectrum of cars out there.

To really think one is going to be that much better than the other one because it's a tiny bit smaller, may have the potential to disappoint a few people.

They are both awesome, but the M2 doesn't become a GT4 just because it's a few inches shorter.

I really hope I can have the opportunity to drive the 2 back to back in some spirited fashion in the near future to determine for myself.
Appreciate 1