BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Is Tiger Patch tape safe to use?

03-27-2023, 01:50 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Is Tiger Patch tape safe to use?

I have a bit of an exhaust leak with my AA single midpipe due to some crappy cuts that I made. Water drips from the clamps and Id prefer to not leave a trail of water everywhere I go. I’m wondering if a muffler tape like Tiger Patch would be safe to use to seal the gap and hopefully stop this.

Thanks

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I have a bit of an exhaust leak with my AA single midpipe due to some crappy cuts that I made. Water drips from the clamps and Id prefer to not leave a trail of water everywhere I go. I’m wondering if a muffler tape like Tiger Patch would be safe to use to seal the gap and hopefully stop this.

Thanks
My shop was telling me that it wasn't a leak but rather a design so the water doesn't rust the exhaust? 🤷 He said there was a reason the exhaust pipe had linear cuts in it at the joint section for this reason specifically
Appreciate 1
Enabled1410.00
      03-27-2023, 04:31 PM   #3
dead.pixel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
My shop was telling me that it wasn't a leak but rather a design so the water doesn't rust the exhaust? 🤷 He said there was a reason the exhaust pipe had linear cuts in it at the joint section for this reason specifically
Interesting. I recently noticed water dripping when cold where the stock exhaust connects to the AB pipes. I was thinking it may be time to get it welded. I haven’t noticed a difference in sound when valves are closed, which is when I’d expect a leak would be most obvious. So now I’m wondering if everything seals up once the system gets some heat into it. 🤷
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Well, if we are talking Active mid pipes, they are 304 stainless steel, so no rusting anyway. I'm seeing an increasing amount of people complain about leaking on AA mid pipes however, especially at the ball clamp connections.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Well, if we are talking Active mid pipes, they are 304 stainless steel, so no rusting anyway. I'm seeing an increasing amount of people complain about leaking on AA mid pipes however, especially at the ball clamp connections.
Yeah my tech did tell me it shouldn't rust anyways but it was more of just an added protective design. I had the car on the lift and started it and revved up a bit. Besides the initial water leaking, which did stop, we didn't actually detect any gas leak afterwards.

It's not the best picture but you can see under the middle brace where some watery carbon dripped down. This is the signature exhaust so it's a single pipe all the way back to the box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Yeah my tech did tell me it shouldn't rust anyways but it was more of just an added protective design. I had the car on the lift and started it and revved up a bit. Besides the initial water leaking, which did stop, we didn't actually detect any gas leak afterwards.

It's not the best picture but you can see under the middle brace where some watery carbon dripped down. This is the signature exhaust so it's a single pipe all the way back to the box.
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but your tech is simply wrong. No clamp connection should leak, at all. The only part of an exhaust that should drip water is the exhaust box, if it has a weep hole installed, which many do. If any clamp leaks water, it will certainly leak exhaust, even if it's a small amount. You'll know if it builds up soot on it over time, like mine did due to a poor install by the previous owner:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but your tech is simply wrong. No clamp connection should leak, at all. The only part of an exhaust that should drip water is the exhaust box, if it has a weep hole installed, which many do. If any clamp leaks water, it will certainly leak exhaust, even if it's a small amount. You'll know if it builds up soot on it over time, like mine did due to a poor install by the previous owner:
You could be right about that. This picture was from the first shop. The tech I'm talking about was the second person I took it to due to poor install at the first place where the exhaust kept rattling. He fixed the install after adjusting both clamps and the hangers and when we started it up there wasn't any watery leak either at that time.

It's been a few thousand miles after the second shop adjusted everything for me and I never noticed any additional soot on the brace since. I'll throw it back on the lift again soon and see if there's anything new.
Appreciate 0