BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Sport exhaust alignment

01-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC / '21 M2C

Garage List
Question Remus Sport exhaust alignment

Installed my Remus Sport + AA EL non-res mid-pipes yesterday and we had a hell of a time aligning the Remus back box. Right out of the box it sat too high even with the height adjustment bottomed out. My exhaust tips fit, but they were a very very tight fit right up under my rear diffuser. Is this how it's supposed to sit?

We added spacers to drop the Remus exhaust down a bit which gave me some much needed clearance. We also had to space out the left side hanger to push the box to the right or it wouldn't center correctly.

Is this normal or is there something we missed?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
skylette226
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I believe Remus came with 2 hangers instead of using the 2 oem ones
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, used both those, but those are to support closer to the mid-pipe. The back box itself is unaffected by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylette226 View Post
I believe Remus came with 2 hangers instead of using the 2 oem ones
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

I had a hell of a time getting my Remus catback to look right on my OG M2. There are so many slip fittings that it made fine-tuning an absolute nightmare.

I had the opposite issue, my exhaust tips were sitting too low. I ended up buying a different set of rubber hangers (part#: 18307616850) and that mostly fixed it. Maybe you can find a set that hang a bit lower.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I believe my tips were too high as well. I tossed the Remus hangers and bought a set of OEM ones to replace them with (the part number above). Raising the midpipes helped to lower the muffler section. That might be worth looking into, or swap the OEM and Remus ones around.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
I've installed remus a lot. The connecting pipe and the rear box connection is the only one that has to be adjusted for overall angle. Loosen that up just a little and you can then angle the back box as high or low as you want. You will then have to adjust the side tips.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I had a hell of a time getting my Remus catback to look right on my OG M2. There are so many slip fittings that it made fine-tuning an absolute nightmare.

I had the opposite issue, my exhaust tips were sitting too low. I ended up buying a different set of rubber hangers (part#: 18307616850) and that mostly fixed it. Maybe you can find a set that hang a bit lower.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I believe my tips were too high as well. I tossed the Remus hangers and bought a set of OEM ones to replace them with (the part number above). Raising the midpipes helped to lower the muffler section. That might be worth looking into, or swap the OEM and Remus ones around.
That was going to be my solution was to buy slightly longer hangers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
I've installed remus a lot. The connecting pipe and the rear box connection is the only one that has to be adjusted for overall angle. Loosen that up just a little and you can then angle the back box as high or low as you want. You will then have to adjust the side tips.
I will definitely try that, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I installed my own Remus and it takes time to line everything up. My suggestion would be to loosen every thing up. Start tightening from the rear to the front in small intervals. For example, tighten the rear up a bit, then move towards the middle of the car, inspect the rear again, and continue to tighten. Rinse and repeat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I installed my own Remus and it takes time to line everything up. My suggestion would be to loosen every thing up. Start tightening from the rear to the front in small intervals. For example, tighten the rear up a bit, then move towards the middle of the car, inspect the rear again, and continue to tighten. Rinse and repeat.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
AWFTMFWIN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 AW M2C, Roush 440A

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Cyanide] View Post
Installed my Remus Sport + AA EL non-res mid-pipes yesterday and we had a hell of a time aligning the Remus back box. Right out of the box it sat too high even with the height adjustment bottomed out. My exhaust tips fit, but they were a very very tight fit right up under my rear diffuser. Is this how it's supposed to sit?

We added spacers to drop the Remus exhaust down a bit which gave me some much needed clearance. We also had to space out the left side hanger to push the box to the right or it wouldn't center correctly.

Is this normal or is there something we missed?

My Remus was welded incorrectly from the factory. It's completely impossible to align as the outlet pipes from the muffler are crooked.

Remus won't answer emails for a warranty claim. Hopefully you didn't get a shit system like I did since customer service is nonexistant with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wanted to update this thread in the hopes that it may help someone else in the future.

Been busy so I haven't had a chance to go back and take a good look at my exhaust setup until recently.

My mechanic and I started with the Remus Sport back box. We noticed that the adjustable hangers were 1" longer on one side than the other. Which would account for the entire exhaust system pushing in one direction.

We decided to swap the positions on the adjustable hangers... and all our problems went away.

I don't know if these adjustable hangers were labeled incorrectly from the factory or someone put them on backwards... whatever the case this is definitely a quality control issue.

In any case, my exhaust aligns up PERFECTLY now.

Name:  IMG_6878.JPEG
Views: 798
Size:  933.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6879.JPEG
Views: 788
Size:  884.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6880.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  247.1 KB
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2022, 11:26 PM   #12
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
I wanted to update this thread in the hopes that it may help someone else in the future.

Been busy so I haven't had a chance to go back and take a good look at my exhaust setup until recently.

My mechanic and I started with the Remus Sport back box. We noticed that the adjustable hangers were 1" longer on one side than the other. Which would account for the entire exhaust system pushing in one direction.

We decided to swap the positions on the adjustable hangers... and all our problems went away.

I don't know if these adjustable hangers were labeled incorrectly from the factory or someone put them on backwards... whatever the case this is definitely a quality control issue.

Great tip and appreciate your update! I have the same exhaust and awaiting install at my local shop. Having never heard in-person... sure hope I made the right choice.

Are you enjoying?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #13
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Great tip and appreciate your update! I have the same exhaust and awaiting install at my local shop. Having never heard in-person... sure hope I made the right choice.

Are you enjoying?
I did countless hours of listening to videos on YouTube and I can confidently say I love the sound of this exhaust combo so much.

I do have Active Sound Design (piped in sound) turned off in my M2, in cockpit while cruising around normally it doesn't drone... and even on the highway sometimes I can barely hear it.

But outside of the car... it is LOUD. It is not tinny. It is not raspy.
Even my mechanic was very impressed with the sound. "She growls" was his exact words.
Appreciate 2
Navy Davy220.00
Telluride125.00
      04-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

...........In any case, my exhaust aligns up PERFECTLY now.
Glad to hear that you figured it out.

Do you mind adding which side needs the long & which is the short?

TIA
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #15
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Glad to hear that you figured it out.

Do you mind adding which side needs the long & which is the short?

TIA
We just measured it and noticed that one side was longer than the other. I believe in my case the passenger side was 1" longer than the driver side.
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2431.50
Telluride125.00
      04-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #16
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Cyanide
;28806554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post

Are you enjoying?
I did countless hours of listening to videos on YouTube and I can confidently say I love the sound of this exhaust combo so much.

I do have Active Sound Design (piped in sound) turned off in my M2, in cockpit while cruising around normally it doesn't drone... and even on the highway sometimes I can barely hear it.

But outside of the car... it is LOUD. It is not tinny. It is not raspy.
Even my mechanic was very impressed with the sound. "She growls" was his exact words.
It'd be interesting to hear a side by side video of the AA EL resonated vs non res. and the Remus Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:35 AM   #17
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Davy View Post
It'd be interesting to hear a side by side video of the AA EL resonated vs non res. and the Remus Sport.
I've made a thread or 2 comparing them since I went from resonated sport to non res sport. My 2 cents is that the non res sport is the better option but they are very close in sound. I would say the non res combo is a bit louder, has more burbles, and a louder start up (maybe 10% in all 3 departments). On the flip side, the start up noise is a bit more "unflattering" than the resonated. The resonated sounds more "refined' while the non res is more "raw".
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 3
inTgr8r2431.50
Telluride125.00
      04-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I've made a thread or 2 comparing them since I went from resonated sport to non res sport. My 2 cents is that the non res sport is the better option but they are very close in sound. I would say the non res combo is a bit louder, has more burbles, and a louder start up (maybe 10% in all 3 departments). On the flip side, the start up noise is a bit more "unflattering" than the resonated. The resonated sounds more "refined' while the non res is more "raw".
This is a pretty accurate description/comparison I'd say.

The cold start isn't as "harsh" as you are describing (at least for me personally, I love it, lol).

I don't have a lot of good sound vids for this exhaust combo just yet... but here is one quick one of startup after re-aligning the exhaust.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CblehVS...JLg5TMgAixhA0/
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      04-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #19
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is a pretty accurate description/comparison I'd say.

The cold start isn't as "harsh" as you are describing (at least for me personally, I love it, lol).

I don't have a lot of good sound vids for this exhaust combo just yet... but here is one quick one of startup after re-aligning the exhaust.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CblehVS...JLg5TMgAixhA0/
Maybe there's a better way to word it. The start up bark is nice. The first minute driving is the most "unflattering" part of the whole sound setup. Kind of "trumpety" I would say if valves are opened right away but goes away very fast. Could be just an issue with me since it seems installation is very important and has mixed results for many.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #20
AWFTMFWIN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 AW M2C, Roush 440A

Quote:

Attachment 2859978

Attachment 2859979

Attachment 2859981
You glorious bastard! We tried for hours to get my exhaust to line up properly...to no avail.

Reached out to Remus customer service NUMEROUS times as I thought the exhaust was welded together incorrectly and received zero response.

Just shimmied my way under my (extremely low) M2 comp and sure as shit, my hangers came from Remus mounted backwards.

Last edited by AWFTMFWIN; 04-26-2022 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #21
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFTMFWIN View Post
You glorious bastard! We tried for hours to get my exhaust to line up properly...to no avail.

Reached out to Remus customer service NUMEROUS times as I thought the exhaust was welded together incorrectly and received zero response.

Just shimmied my way under my (extremely low) M2 comp and sure as shit, my hangers came from Remus mounted backwards.

Well I hope that is in fact your issue. It would certainly be a much easier fix rather than faulty welding. Keep us posted!

I suspect my exhaust also had the hangers switched. The installer was able to do a nice job aligning it with a shim (effectively shortening the longer hanger), but I've asked him to take a another look at it. I've since scoured the internet for photos of the install, and I see the hangers attached in both manners. I wonder if LHD vs RHD require opposite placement of the hangers? Regardless, will report back in a couple weeks.
      06-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #22
[Cyanide]
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFTMFWIN View Post

I am so glad and happy to be able to help someone else! Whoever is mounting these from Remus needs to have a talking to.
Appreciate 1
Telluride125.00