BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Going price - DPs installation ?

03-14-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Going price - DPs installation ?

Folks…the future seems silent, with the onslaught of electrical cars coming our way.

To enjoy the best/current ICE offerings, I’m getting the itch to install Active Autowerke catted downpipes. What’s the going price to install them?
      03-14-2023, 11:52 PM   #2
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

$500 is what I was charged.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 03:56 AM   #3
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Take around 2.5 hours for a good mechanic who already did it, depending on shop rate…
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

$300 to $450

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys…I was quoted ~10 hrs by a local indy shop, and is many many x over what you guys are saying y’all paid. Apparently, that is by the book.

Need to shop around I guess.

For those who installed AA catted DPs, how much of a difference in sound did they make? Due to their price (me thinks it’s the most expensive DP offering out there for the S55), I didn’t find too many A vs B clips.

FYI, I have non res AA EL, and recently added resonated A/B pipes and Dinan axelback (thanks to mike@x-ph.com who hooked me up). I now have ZERO rasp, and sound is pure and clean; I am hoping to increase the volume and the growl…without re-introducing raspiness, metallic sounds or droning.
      03-15-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Related install question:

How was the installation made? Only from the bottom, or did the shop strated from the top where they removed cowl, CF brace, passenger air intake, charge pipes etc to gain easier access and disconnect the O2 sensors from the top?

I just read on the F80 forum that the bottom only install isn’t recommended due to limited clearance to remove/unscrew the O2 sensors- which could jank them up and rip the wires.

First world problems eh??
      03-15-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks guys…I was quoted ~10 hrs by a local indy shop, and is many many x over what you guys are saying y’all paid. Apparently, that is by the book.

For those who installed AA catted DPs, how much of a difference in sound did they make? Due to their price (me thinks it’s the most expensive DP offering out there for the S55), I didn’t find too many A vs B clips.

FYI, I have non res AA EL, and recently added resonated A/B pipes and Dinan axelback (thanks to mike@x-ph.com who hooked me up). I now have ZERO rasp, and sound is pure and clean; I am hoping to increase the volume and the growl…without re-introducing raspiness, metallic sounds or droning.
I think 10 hours is what ISTA says but obviously any experience Indy shop shouldn't take that long. I believe the top approach to disconnect the sensors and bottom to actually remove them is the common approach. Should be less than 4 hours for any good experienced shop
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #8
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I think 10 hours is what ISTA says but obviously any experience Indy shop shouldn't take that long. I believe the top approach to disconnect the sensors and bottom to actually remove them is the common approach. Should be less than 4 hours for any good experienced shop
Thanks mate - makes sense! Looking around for any other Indy shop in Dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex who have experience with DPs install. Paying > 10 hrs for labour is prohibited for most, if not ridiculous.

Sidebar: I wonder what the aftermarket mod market will be once every new car sold will be hybrid or full electric? Guess the ///M tax won’t look too bad then?
      03-15-2023, 11:28 AM   #9
Greg094
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I, M2 Comp (ordered)

Quote:

Curious to how this will sound as well, and how much of an increase in sound it will be. Following, as I am thinking of going this route in the future. I currently have non res AA EL, paired with AA axle back. I have very slight drone sometimes but doesn’t really bother me 90% of time. Wondering if I can get away with these catted AA downpipes with my setup, as I know catless are not reccomended at all with non-res EL.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:59 AM   #10
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep

No way 10 hours

Any shop/ mechanic taking more than 3 hours have absolutely no idea of what he’s doing
Appreciate 1
2020m2c180.50
      03-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #11
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
No way 10 hours

Any shop/ mechanic taking more than 3 hours have absolutely no idea of what he’s doing
This! Or…using the ISTA estimates to ‘justify’ their high price.
      03-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #12
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg094 View Post
Curious to how this will sound as well, and how much of an increase in sound it will be. Following, as I am thinking of going this route in the future. I currently have non res AA EL, paired with AA axle back. I have very slight drone sometimes but doesn’t really bother me 90% of time. Wondering if I can get away with these catted AA downpipes with my setup, as I know catless are not reccomended at all with non-res EL.
It will be loud, had only catless downpipe and it was perfect, no drone, raspy sound on my f80 m3

With the m2 competition, I’m still 100% stock exhaust except valve open all time, if i would do something i would do catless downpipe OR AA equal length midpipe, stock back box in any case
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:00 PM   #13
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks mate - makes sense! Looking around for any other Indy shop in Dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex who have experience with DPs install. Paying > 10 hrs for labour is prohibited for most, if not ridiculous.

Sidebar: I wonder what the aftermarket mod market will be once every new car sold will be hybrid or full electric? Guess the ///M tax won’t look too bad then?
Wait are you in the DFW area? I have a hidden gem of a place that might charge you 250 at most.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #14
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Wait are you in the DFW area? I have a hidden gem of a place that might charge you 250 at most.
Yeah thanks man - whatcha you got?

Entertaining all install options.
      03-15-2023, 02:04 PM   #15
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah thanks man - whatcha you got?

Entertaining all install options.
Madworks Customs off of 121. The guy there has done all the work on my car and his quality is great. Give the guy a call and I can guarantee it will be reasonable because he doesn't go by book ETAs which routinely inflate the labor cost.
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #16
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Madworks Customs off of 121. The guy there has done all the work on my car and his quality is great. Give the guy a call and I can guarantee it will be reasonable because he doesn't go my book ETAs which routinely inflate the labor cost.
Awesome- super useful, appreciate the help!
      03-16-2023, 12:49 AM   #17
Itz_Kev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

I got the AA catted DP pair with AA res EL and Remus race exhaust. Honesty, it didn't make a difference in volume or sound. Not going to lie, but i'm kinda disappointed and kinda wish I went with the catless route, oh well!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 07:57 AM   #18
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz_Kev View Post
I got the AA catted DP pair with AA res EL and Remus race exhaust. Honesty, it didn't make a difference in volume or sound. Not going to lie, but i'm kinda disappointed and kinda wish I went with the catless route, oh well!
Interesting but concerning comment. There aren’t many, if any, videos that I found that compare the effect these DPs when added to an already upgraded midpipe+axleback exhaust setup.

It would be an expensive but worthless ‘upgrade’ if adding AA catted DPs doesn’t do a whole lot to improve sound.

Besides trying to be a good steward to our planet, I can’t do cattless since TX has yearly emissions.
      03-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #19
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

2.5 - 3 hours is what we would expect. Rates may vary per hour

If you want something in-between we offer a 200 cell Downpipe which would give a sound closer to catless but, far more environmentally friendly.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-catte...-flex-section/
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 10:11 PM   #20
OG Shark
Rep

Drives: Angry

No_curebimmer bring it down to San Antonio and we can knock it out. Even with the gas still make out cheaper than 10hrs labor - and it gives me a chance to upsell on a bunch of other fun stuff
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2023, 06:51 AM   #21
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
2.5 - 3 hours is what we would expect. Rates may vary per hour

If you want something in-between we offer a 200 cell Downpipe which would give a sound closer to catless but, far more environmentally friendly.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-catte...-flex-section/
Thanks MAD!!! I have been following your products for some time…so I just picked up your charge pipe set from the only and only Mikemike@x-ph.com
      03-17-2023, 11:35 AM   #22
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Thanks MAD!!! I have been following your products for some time…so I just picked up your charge pipe set from the only and only Mikemike@x-ph.com
Appreciate 0