BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How much downshifting is too much

02-28-2023, 12:15 AM   #23
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Using this for additional drag to slow the car down is engine braking - not at all something I'd do on track, and not good for engines or drivetrains. That's why they make brake pads to be the easily replaceable part in the system for the slowing down. If you engine brake regularly, and at max rpm, then expect some additional driveline issues as your car ages.

Crank hub issues are apparently rare enough that I wouldn't expect to see them at the track on a regular basis; I think this is kind of an S55 boogey man - seems to happen rarely, and mostly (but not allways) on modded cars that are probably being driven in these abusive street-racer ways. I have seen people go home early from HPDE due to some kind of limp error (I DK exactly why in many cases, so can't r/o a spun crank hub).
Pertaining to your first comment, I don't see what the additional driveline issues are. The car automatically rev matches so there's little shock, if any, to the drivetrain. The argument against engine braking is it may unsettle the car (definitely more true for older cars) under heavy braking, but not something I'm feeling on track at least. And there's a marginal benefit braking-wise, you can definitely feel the difference between braking while in gear and braking while in neutral. And, it's better to be getting into the correct gear, while braking, while preparing yourself for your entry into the corner and then exiting from. It's how everyone who has ever instructed me has taught it... Waiting until later just because you want to be careful of the additional wear and tear on the drivetrain? Maybe don't drive on track then lol.

Definitely agree on your second comment.