BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Accident and replacement parts

01-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Shahaf2911
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Hi,
Well that's a hard subject to talk about, I did my first accident ever in my (3 months of ownership) F87 M2..
The road was really slippery and I wasn't going fast (~23mph ~35 kmh) and the car just didn't stop for quite a distance and just slid (there was something on the road, wasn't raining for a few days) and i hit a thin pole and the wall.
As it's really late at night I'll add photos tomorrow of the front as I didn't take pictures, and I wanted to hear your advise on ordering from IND the M2 comp convention kit for the M2 F87, I'll also need to order one headlight, and a few other things but I couldn't see everything behind the bumper (as only the left side was hit).
Thanks in advance for all the helpers I really appreciate it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Hi,
Well that's a hard subject to talk about, I did my first accident ever in my (3 months of ownership) F87 M2..
The road was really slippery and I wasn't going fast (~23mph ~35 kmh) and the car just didn't stop for quite a distance and just slid (there was something on the road, wasn't raining for a few days) and i hit a thin pole and the wall.
As it's really late at night I'll add photos tomorrow of the front as I didn't take pictures, and I wanted to hear your advise on ordering from IND the M2 comp convention kit for the M2 F87, I'll also need to order one headlight, and a few other things but I couldn't see everything behind the bumper (as only the left side was hit).
Ouch sorry to hear man ((

Not sure how hard you hit the wall but there are a ton of brackets and such behind the bumper that bend with a relatively light impact. Not sure where you are and insurance options but you could easily be looking 6-12k (headlight alone is around 1500, painted bumper 1-2000, etc). Good luck and hope you get her back in shape soon!

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Shahaf2911
Israel
Rep

Fallowing day fallowing photos of what happened, as you can see only the left part of the vehicle took a hit and it was relatively slow but unfortunately as it's mentioned in the previous comment the font end is designed to bend it low hits to absorb the impact so it looks rough
Attached Images

Last edited by Shahaf2911; 01-27-2020 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
Shahaf2911
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Hi,

Not sure how hard you hit the wall but there are a ton of brackets and such behind the bumper that bend with a relatively light impact. Not sure where you are and insurance options but you could easily be looking 6-12k (headlight alone is around 1500, painted bumper 1-2000, etc). Good luck and hope you get her back in shape soon!
Quote:

Yeah that's what I saw that the brackets bent easily, would need to do body work and see where to order all the parts as insurance is not an option (I'm 23 years old) and if I use it it would not be worth financially (it would sky rocket) so it's a huge bummer!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
gfisher99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT, 2018 M2 DCT

Last month a 16 year old female who had had her license for 5 weeks pulled out of a shopping center right in front of me and caused me to T-bone her. I was going less than 10mph by the time we hit, no airbags deployed. My damage looked quite a bit less than this and it was $4200 to repair. Like some have said above, half that cost was the bumper, the other half was the stuff behind the bumper. My intercooler, headlights and all metal bodywork was untouched.

Looking at yours it seems you may be in for a much larger bill.

Good luck with the repairs and glad no one was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Shahaf2911
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Last month a 16 year old female who had had her license for 5 weeks pulled out of a shopping center right in front of me and caused me to T-bone her. I was going less than 10mph by the time we hit, no airbags deployed. My damage looked quite a bit less than this and it was $4200 to repair. Like some have said above, half that cost was the bumper, the other half was the stuff behind the bumper. My intercooler, headlights and all metal bodywork was untouched.

Looking at yours it seems you may be in for a much larger bill.

Good luck with the repairs and glad no one was hurt.
Yes most definitely, from what I had time to see I'll need to change the bumper (2k), headlight (~1.5k), brackets (in front the radiator/intercooler, the bumper metal part, and maybe some brackets on the left side, you have a guess what would it cost ?), and I hope the radiators aren't damaged but there is a chance a dct oil cooler would be needed (550~) and hopefully the left radiator isn't damaged which isn't cheep (couldn't tell yet, someone knows maybe the price for an oem one ?), there was only washer fluid leaks from the headlight washer (but it's not in use anyway and the Comp bumper doesn't have them).
And I hope there isn't any other surprises so I'd say minimum 6-7k labor included (not including the taxes for my country which is min 65% )
And thanks for all the helpers!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Insurance is not an option because your premium will increase? Why do you have it at all then? There is much more damage done than you think there is. It will be quite 'worth' it.
Appreciate 2
Poochie3700.00
gphung22.50

01-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Insurance is not an option because your premium will increase? Why do you have it at all then? There is much more damage done than you think there is. It will be quite 'worth' it.
Agree, maybe look at what the rate increase will be and for how long. In the US, the average is a ~40% increase for 2-3 years I believe. Also check your fenders, they are aluminum and a decent front impact often bends them outward. If you want the new bumper to match well paint will very likely need blended to the hood and fender which may add to cost.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Shahaf2911
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agree, maybe look at what the rate increase will be and for how long. In the US, the average is a ~40% increase for 2-3 years I believe. Also check your fenders, they are aluminum and a decent front impact often bends them outward. If you want the new bumper to match well paint will very likely need blended to the hood and fender which may add to cost.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I understand what you mean, from what I saw and my father the damage wouldn't exceed the amount that would be needed to pay for the increase for 3 years (here it's 3 years) and also because I got a special price for the insurance so it's another reason it would be more expensive in the long run to use the insurance at this current situation else there would be more parts that are needed to be changed (hopefully not) (the insurance in my country are a fraud.. only at big accidents they are worth it), sad case but that's the truth
Appreciate 0