BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2015 V10+ or M2CS or2020 TT RS

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
gasmanR8
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2015 Audi R8 V10 plus
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

2015 V10+ or M2CS or2020 TT RS

Would anybody here use the equity in a 2015 V10 + and either:
1) keep the R8 and get an extended warranty for 5-7 yrs for 3-4K
2) Use the equity to get a custom color (Chalk) Loaded 2020 TTRS
3) Get a 2020 BMW M2 CS?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Mr Pete
Lieutenant
Mr Pete's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
557
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmanR8 View Post
Would anybody here use the equity in a 2015 V10 + and either:
1) keep the R8 and get an extended warranty for 5-7 yrs for 3-4K
2) Use the equity to get a custom color (Chalk) Loaded 2020 TTRS
3) Get a 2020 BMW M2 CS?
Do you need back seats? If not, I'd keep the R8, not even a question for me.

Does the R8 have a manual gearbox?
Appreciate 2
_RS4_372.50

      12-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
gasmanR8
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2015 Audi R8 V10 plus
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmanR8 View Post
Would anybody here use the equity in a 2015 V10 + and either:
1) keep the R8 and get an extended warranty for 5-7 yrs for 3-4K
2) Use the equity to get a custom color (Chalk) Loaded 2020 TTRS
3) Get a 2020 BMW M2 CS?
Do you need back seats? If not, I'd keep the R8, not even a question for me.

Does the R8 have a manual gearbox?
It's an s-tronic. Love the car but a little more room would be nice and the stares/taking videos/ always coming up to me asking questions/worrying about parking it and people vandalizing it etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
pz619
Colonel
2126
Rep
2,590
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

TTRS seems pointless to me if you already have a R8. I would probably keep the R8 but depends how attached you are to a manual, as I don’t think a R8 comes with a manual anymore.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
DriverDaily
Private First Class
97
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I don't think the M2C or TTRS are going to do anything except disappoint after a v10 R8.

Besides, you're gonna lose way more equity with a 2020 than a keeping a 2015.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
medphysdave
Captain
United_States
717
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: M2 CS waiting list
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I think I'd keep the R8 and go for the warranty. I fully understand the attention, but it comes with the territory. If it's just auto ADD, then jump ship as you won't be happy with the R8.

I disagree with the CS disappointing after the R8. It will take less pushing in the CS to feel edgy. I think the TT will be boring.

What is it about the R8 that floats your boat, and what is it about it that has lost its luster? I usually ask folks to be honest with themselves about who they are in. Usually there is some clarity that comes with the answer.

Impress the ladies, impress your friends, impress yourself, impress strangers, exclusivity. All valid emotional grounds for a purchase.

I value personal fun and exclusivity to some degree. I want something that i will rarely see someone else have, I'm shallow, selfish, and I like taking the last slice of pizza. I value what makes me happy and not what is most expensive. I value being able to include my family me in the things I enjoy. Unless it's the last slice of pizza 😁 This led me to the M2 CS.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2011.50

      12-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
gasmanR8
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2015 Audi R8 V10 plus
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I think I'd keep the R8 and go for the warranty. I fully understand the attention, but it comes with the territory. If it's just auto ADD, then jump ship as you won't be happy with the R8.

I disagree with the CS disappointing after the R8. It will take less pushing in the CS to feel edgy. I think the TT will be boring.

What is it about the R8 that floats your boat, and what is it about it that has lost its luster? I usually ask folks to be honest with themselves about who they are in. Usually there is some clarity that comes with the answer.

Impress the ladies, impress your friends, impress yourself, impress strangers, exclusivity. All valid emotional grounds for a purchase.

I value personal fun and exclusivity to some degree. I want something that i will rarely see someone else have, I'm shallow, selfish, and I like taking the last slice of pizza. I value what makes me happy and not what is most expensive. I value being able to include my family me in the things I enjoy. Unless it's the last slice of pizza 😁 This led me to the M2 CS.
"Auto ADD"?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
medphysdave
Captain
United_States
717
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: M2 CS waiting list
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

ADD is on the learning disability spectrum. Attention deficit disorder. Makes it very difficult to focus on any one thing for more than short periods of time. The period of time seems to be associated with severity of disorder. Without intervention it can make it very difficult for individuals to achieve maximum success in the education process.

Some folks just seem to not be able to focus on one car for a lengthy period of time and need to move on. So I say it's the ADD of the car world.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
gasmanR8
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2015 Audi R8 V10 plus
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
ADD is on the learning disability spectrum. Attention deficit disorder. Makes it very difficult to focus on any one thing for more than short periods of time. The period of time seems to be associated with severity of disorder. Without intervention it can make it very difficult for individuals to achieve maximum success in the education process.

Some folks just seem to not be able to focus on one car for a lengthy period of time and need to move on. So I say it's the ADD of the car world.
Gotcha. ADD the psychological disorder. Good analogy
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Captain
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
637
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Keep the R8 and get a cheap beater for DD duties. That V10 is special and it will be hard to settle for less.
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
Moflow
First Lieutenant
Moflow's Avatar
United_States
511
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Id keep the R8. Like others have said, neither of your other two options are going to feel anywhere near as nice. The CS would probably still feel kinda special and edgy, but man, itll be way way less nice.

If youre serious about not liking the attention and you want some more practicality AND you want a manual AND youre really sure you can handle replacing a car with another car that is significantly less nice consider the CS I suppose. Id stay away from the Audi TT personally. The bmw interior will feel inferior but different. The Audi TT interior will just feel inferior.

My old boss dailied an R8 V10+ i have to believe that car is honestly fairly easy to live with.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 01:06 AM   #12
dcmac
Lieutenant
dcmac's Avatar
362
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: '18 LCI M2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Id keep the R8 get a comfortable as hell daily for when you just want to relax.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
10983
Rep
9,755
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I value personal fun and exclusivity to some degree. I want something that i will rarely see someone else have, I'm shallow, selfish, and I like taking the last slice of pizza. I value what makes me happy and not what is most expensive. I value being able to include my family me in the things I enjoy. Unless it's the last slice of pizza 😁 This led me to the M2 CS.
While we're at it, what about the mischievous bad boy approach: get more pizza slices at the beginning (eat faster) and leave that cold unattractive last slice with broccoli & partially ripped away 'cheese turnt plastic' without mozzarella for others as a gesture of self-proclaimed gentlemanship altruism. Kinda like pre-ordering and configuring an M2 CS as #1 instead of getting a pre-configured one late in the process as #13 ?
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
_RS4_
Lieutenant
Italy
373
Rep
424
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Keep the R8 and if you want more room wait for the upcoming 992 Turbo. Forget M2 and TT, they are ordinary cars compared to your current supercar, it would be a big step backwards and you would regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:37 AM   #15
Karmic Man
Major
Karmic Man's Avatar
Australia
1109
Rep
1,181
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

A V10 NA midship cannot be replaced by a FR 3L twin turbo or a FAWD 5 cylinder turbo. Just from a vehicle dynamics perspective you are already downgrading.

Find a solution to keep the R8 or move on to a Lambo or Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #16
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
10983
Rep
9,755
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
If it's just auto ADD
Don't settle for less than SPARS code "DDD". Back in the 80s those CDs were highly regarded and usually more expensive than "AAD" and "ADD". And let's face it: it was kinda silly money grabbing. But hey, top of the pecking order fed to your top-notch fully-fledged stereo rack (which, of course equally featured a cassette deck with 'auto reverse' gimmick to play 'Extended Version' audio recorded onto your C90 Maxell tapes).

Nowadays there is nostalgia for retro/oldskool 'analog' again, static/dust ticks and 'turntable needle on vinyl humming' that reconnects to the 'condition humaine' of a youth era in a non-sterile environment. The call for things that are gradually phased out like manual transmission, naturally aspirated engines, hydraulic steering, real clickable control buttons, 'kick in the nads' exhaust rumble, lack of nosy interfering tech stopping you in your tracks throwing codes and 'limp mode' at you 'for your own good', etc. But we gotta move on and adapt.

So to return to OP's query: keep that V10 R8.

P.S.: without 'auto reverse' Quincy Jones would have never recorded the MJ pop song "Human Nature": see here.

Name:  Maxell_XLII_1985.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  30.8 KB
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
gasmanR8
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2015 Audi R8 V10 plus
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
If it's just auto ADD
Don't settle for less than SPARS code "DDD". Back in the 80s those CDs were highly regarded and usually more expensive than "AAD" and "ADD". And let's face it: it was kinda silly money grabbing. But hey, top of the pecking order fed to your top-notch fully-fledged stereo rack (which, of course equally featured a cassette deck with 'auto reverse' gimmick to play 'Extended Version' audio recorded onto your C90 Maxell tapes).

Nowadays there is nostalgia for retro/oldskool 'analog' again, static/dust ticks and 'turntable needle on vinyl humming' that reconnects to the 'condition humaine' of a youth era in a non-sterile environment. The call for things that are gradually phased out like manual transmission, naturally aspirated engines, hydraulic steering, real clickable control buttons, 'kick in the nads' exhaust rumble, lack of nosy interfering tech stopping you in your tracks throwing codes and 'limp mode' at you 'for your own good', etc. But we gotta move on and adapt.

So to return to OP's query: keep that V10 R8.

P.S.: without 'auto reverse' Quincy Jones would have never recorded the MJ pop song "Human Nature": see here.

Attachment 2207529
Thanks for all the replies. I never set out to compare My R8 to the TTRS/M2 CS "apples to apples"- obviously not a fair comparison looks and overall performance-wise.This is a "risk-benefit" situation and I wanted to elicit opinions regarding using the equity on my R8 to trade it in on the 2020 TTRS or BMW M2 CS. The negatives on owning an R8 (to ME) are the constant attention, fart can owning teens and mini vans always daring me to race, worries about where to park it and where it was "safe" to drive, future repair costs (once even the extended warranty is up), and limited storage/luggage space. The positives are all that everyone said above. I live in Upstate NY and even though I could drive it in the snow with proper tires, I could never do that to this car given salt is used to melt snow on the roads up here. My DD for the salty winters is a 2004 (!) BMW X5 with 160k mikes. That being said, I LOVE my R8 and will most likely keep it and purchase an extended warranty. I know I would regret getting rid of it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
jimp
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: M2 competition , Mini GP
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Hi. I owned a 2018 TTRS and I currently have M2 competition manual. The key differences are, the TT shifts so fast and feels faster than the M2 C manual. The TT is smaller and feels lighter. The grip and speed are fantastic in the TTRS. The M2C is heavier and feels more like a muscle car. The M2 is more fun, plus you're doing all the shifting. Also, there's that rear wheel drive, with lots of torque that's there to get you in trouble, but that is the fun part of it. The TT will never get you into any trouble, understeers a bit and kinda reminds me of a lesser 911 turbo. You have to be a better driver to handle the M2C to its full abilities...Bottom line, test drive them both to see what appeals to you most.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Having toyed with buying a TTS and then TTRS, I would keep the V10+. Neither of the choices you presented would be a suitable substitute. Maybe get a 97-04 911 for something cheap and fun on the side that would cost at or under $20k.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
cptobvious's Avatar
United_States
2012
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: M2C HS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmanR8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
If it's just auto ADD
Don't settle for less than SPARS code "DDD". Back in the 80s those CDs were highly regarded and usually more expensive than "AAD" and "ADD". And let's face it: it was kinda silly money grabbing. But hey, top of the pecking order fed to your top-notch fully-fledged stereo rack (which, of course equally featured a cassette deck with 'auto reverse' gimmick to play 'Extended Version' audio recorded onto your C90 Maxell tapes).

Nowadays there is nostalgia for retro/oldskool 'analog' again, static/dust ticks and 'turntable needle on vinyl humming' that reconnects to the 'condition humaine' of a youth era in a non-sterile environment. The call for things that are gradually phased out like manual transmission, naturally aspirated engines, hydraulic steering, real clickable control buttons, 'kick in the nads' exhaust rumble, lack of nosy interfering tech stopping you in your tracks throwing codes and 'limp mode' at you 'for your own good', etc. But we gotta move on and adapt.

So to return to OP's query: keep that V10 R8.

P.S.: without 'auto reverse' Quincy Jones would have never recorded the MJ pop song "Human Nature": see here.

Attachment 2207529
Thanks for all the replies. I never set out to compare My R8 to the TTRS/M2 CS "apples to apples"- obviously not a fair comparison looks and overall performance-wise.This is a "risk-benefit" situation and I wanted to elicit opinions regarding using the equity on my R8 to trade it in on the 2020 TTRS or BMW M2 CS. The negatives on owning an R8 (to ME) are the constant attention, fart can owning teens and mini vans always daring me to race, worries about where to park it and where it was "safe" to drive, future repair costs (once even the extended warranty is up), and limited storage/luggage space. The positives are all that everyone said above. I live in Upstate NY and even though I could drive it in the snow with proper tires, I could never do that to this car given salt is used to melt snow on the roads up here. My DD for the salty winters is a 2004 (!) BMW X5 with 160k mikes. That being said, I LOVE my R8 and will most likely keep it and purchase an extended warranty. I know I would regret getting rid of it in the end.
OP, I'm gonna throw out a wild suggestion: Sell the R8 and get BOTH the M2C AND the TTRS. I know it sounds insane, but here's my logic behind it.

1. From what I see on Autotrader, the 2015 R8 V10+ commands > $100k

2. There are plenty of examples of incredibly low mileage M2C popping up for sale now, with significant discount off original MSRP. As someone described it, these are, "Oh s***, I'm in over my head," cars, where you can get an amazing deal. I would imagine there are examples of this happening with the TTRS too

3. As a result, for roughly the same money, you would end up with 2 cars for your R8

4. Both cars seem to fly under the radar, so no more gawking and unwanted attention. And neither car is the car that Iron Man drives, so you won't need to worry so much about parking, vandalism, etc., etc.

5. The TTRS would be a really good winter car, given AWD (and because it's not a super car, you won't mind the salt too much), meanwhile the M2C is the perfect warm weather hooligan car - it feels fun at nearly any speed

6. If you need practicality, the M2C has good cabin space, adequate trunk, etc., etc. It's my daily driver, and I got 2 kids seats in the back for my 4 and 6 year olds

7. Finally, every single one of us on this forum suffers from Auto ADD. It's fun getting and playing with new toys. In your case, you'd get 2 new toys for the price of 1!!!
Appreciate 1
Conissah645.50

      12-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
medphysdave
Captain
United_States
717
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: M2 CS waiting list
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
OP, I'm gonna throw out a wild suggestion: Sell the R8 and get BOTH the M2C AND the TTRS. I know it sounds insane, but here's my logic behind it.

1. From what I see on Autotrader, the 2015 R8 V10+ commands > $100k

2. There are plenty of examples of incredibly low mileage M2C popping up for sale now, with significant discount off original MSRP. As someone described it, these are, "Oh s***, I'm in over my head," cars, where you can get an amazing deal. I would imagine there are examples of this happening with the TTRS too

3. As a result, for roughly the same money, you would end up with 2 cars for your R8

4. Both cars seem to fly under the radar, so no more gawking and unwanted attention. And neither car is the car that Iron Man drives, so you won't need to worry so much about parking, vandalism, etc., etc.

5. The TTRS would be a really good winter car, given AWD (and because it's not a super car, you won't mind the salt too much), meanwhile the M2C is the perfect warm weather hooligan car - it feels fun at nearly any speed

6. If you need practicality, the M2C has good cabin space, adequate trunk, etc., etc. It's my daily driver, and I got 2 kids seats in the back for my 4 and 6 year olds

7. Finally, every single one of us on this forum suffers from Auto ADD. It's fun getting and playing with new toys. In your case, you'd get 2 new toys for the price of 1!!!
There's some real win in this advice.
Appreciate 1
Conissah645.50

      12-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
medphysdave
Captain
United_States
717
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: M2 CS waiting list
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Upstate NY had some rough roads too. Some really fun back roads though, but scary narrow. How about adding a used '15-'17 Miata with under 10k miles, and adding $6k in suspension, big brakes, wheels/tires? All in for under $25k. For the time I spent around Davenport and up around omeggang brewery it would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST