BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Hot Side Piping

09-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Hot Side Piping

Hi folks wanted to get a sense of the real benefits behind the following mods (have put my high level thoughts on what they do based on research):

Turbo Inlet Pipe - allows for better air flow into turbo and removes restriction regarding the size
Turbo to Intercooler / Boost Pipe - replaces plastic pipe similar to the Charge Pipe and does allow for more efficient turbo operation vs higher boost
DV+ - replaces plastic components in the current system and allows for higher levels of boost to be held and helps with high RPM oscillations as well as holding boost better in between shifts for the MT cars

thinking of adding these mods more from an efficiency perspective than anything so wanted to poll the collective wisdom in the forum to get your thoughts.

already have a kittless DP, FMIC & CP installed along with the Stg2 BM3 tune and not really looking at upgarding turbo (atleast not yet)

on a side note damn modding is addictive!! must stop soon!

thx in advance fellow M2nuts

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Hi folks wanted to get a sense of the real benefits behind the following mods (have put my high level thoughts on what they do based on research):

Turbo Inlet Pipe - allows for better air flow into turbo and removes restriction regarding the size
Turbo to Intercooler / Boost Pipe - replaces plastic pipe similar to the Charge Pipe and does allow for more efficient turbo operation vs higher boost
DV+ - replaces plastic components in the current system and allows for higher levels of boost to be held and helps with high RPM oscillations as well as holding boost better in between shifts for the MT cars

thinking of adding these mods more from an efficiency perspective than anything so wanted to poll the collective wisdom in the forum to get your thoughts.

already have a kittless DP, FMIC & CP installed along with the Stg2 BM3 tune and not really looking at upgarding turbo (atleast not yet)

on a side note damn modding is addictive!! must stop soon!

thx in advance fellow M2nuts
Turbo inlet pipe - Correct. You can see pictures of FTP's inlet pipe, Pure's inlet pipe, and the OEM pipe in this thread. No one is sure if FTP's pipe is the same diameter as Pure's, no one has measurements to compare. But comparing to OEM, both pure and ftp remove this choke point. Pure's pipe is also only secured by press fit into the turbo. FTP and OEM are bolted to the turbo or engine or something, I dunno where. FTP's is quite a bit cheaper than Pure's too.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1499446

Charge and Boost Pipes - Mainly replaced because OEM is plastic and might crack. I'm not sure there is any efficiency gains with upgrading them. Not aware of the aftermarket pipes being larger diameter than OEM. If so, I'd imagine the turbo system would need to work harder to maintain boost levels, as a larger area would lower PSI. But, upgrading to a larger intercooler would do the same, so maybe that doesn't matter as much as I'm thinking. Also, aftermarket pipes come with meth bungs built in, so it's easier to upgrade to a WMI system. I always see people say OEM boost pipe is okay, not sure why, but I upgraded it as it was part of FTP's kit.

DV+ - is a progressive diverter valve, OEM is binary. OEM evacuates all boost at once, it's either open or closed, which can cause lag as boost needs to build up again from scratch. DV+ let's only enough boost to escape to maintain target psi.

After doing more research in the past week, I want to upgrade my inlet pipe and dv, but it seems they are too difficult to swap without doing a turbo upgrade at the same time. Turbo upgrade means fuel pump and WMI and a custom tune. Which makes things even more of a task to get done. Between research, cost, and coordination of it all.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-26-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

great thanks Anthony! yea based on my research its best to do during turbo upgrade but gonna wait on biting the bullet on the turbo for now or if at all

Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
week, I want to upgrade my inlet pipe and dv, but it seems they are too difficult to swap without doing a turbo upgrade at the same time.
Great post man.
Regarding the above, you might recall i did all that and documented it in a thread here somewhere.

It was definitely a pain in the ass. But i did it myself and had really no idea what i was doing before i got started.

OP,

Without regurgitating stuff already said, I'll just add I have all these same mods (DP, FMIC, inlet, boost, charge pipes, and DV+ on stock tune) and the car noticeably is faster on the butt dyno. The lag between shifts is gone almost 100% from the lower RPMs.

Also it makes a really cool whooshing whistle sound when spooling, and I like that.

Next week going to dyno and have real numbers to post!

Appreciate 1
JKen_0115175.50
      01-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Great post man.
Regarding the above, you might recall i did all that and documented it in a thread here somewhere.

It was definitely a pain in the ass. But i did it myself and had really no idea what i was doing before i got started.

OP,

Without regurgitating stuff already said, I'll just add I have all these same mods (DP, FMIC, inlet, boost, charge pipes, and DV+ on stock tune) and the car noticeably is faster on the butt dyno. The lag between shifts is gone almost 100% from the lower RPMs.

Also it makes a really cool whooshing whistle sound when spooling, and I like that.

Next week going to dyno and have real numbers to post!

Did you ever get that dyno done? I just ordered my FMIC, Inlet and DV+. Charge and boost pipes to come. Curious to see what that looks like on a stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Did you ever get that dyno done? I just ordered my FMIC, Inlet and DV+. Charge and boost pipes to come. Curious to see what that looks like on a stock tune.
I'm actually getting ready to do the following:

Intercooler
Charge Pipe
Boost Pipe
Turbo Inlet Pipe
catted downpipe
DV+
intake

Trying to get a price from my shop for the work, plus a couple dyno pulls (before and after).

The DV+ looks like a pain in the ass without yanking the turbo off, otherwise I'd just do it all myself.

Last edited by detroitm2; 01-07-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
I did!

The peak HP bumped a little to 365
The torque bumped over 20 from 377 (iirc) to 399
Still all without tune

Forgot about this thread, but I posted it in my thread:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=45

Last edited by ddk632; 01-07-2020 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Added dyno video
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

FYI, the thread link you posted doesn't work. Sends me to a page not found page.

Quote:
I did!

Still all without tune

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
FYI, the thread link you posted doesn't work. Sends me to a page not found page.
Thanks for the heads up, fixed it.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

Getting the Turbo to IC and DV+ installed on Friday. Didn't bother with inlet and will do that along with a turbo upgrade if I end up going that route

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
I did!

Still all without tune

Awesome, thanks very much. I expect that is a pretty noticeable bump. I will be installing almost the exact same mods (FabSpeed instead of Akra is already installed), so that gives me a pretty good baseline.

I am worried about installing that DV+ on my own, but we'll see how it goes once things warm up!
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      04-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #12
RESM_F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Garage List
2014 bmw  [0.00]
I notice that in my Turner kit, the turbo to IC hose is held by the sea clamp to the turbo and IC. Should I be concerned about leaks?
The IC side looks like it will be an exact fit but on the turbo side, there is a bit of play. Just wondering if you have run into that and if it is normal.
Appreciate 0