BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DSC settings on the M2: what the Manual, Press Kit and Technical Training say

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #23
MR.
Colonel
MR.'s Avatar
No_Country
3769
Rep
2,708
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 Competition on order
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Travelling / Managing / Writing

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It boggles the mind that you cannot turn it off independently on BMWs and Porsches. The 370Z and Corvette allow this. They can't afford another menu option in iDrive or use a button blank?

Has the aftermarket been able to control this on the F80/F82?
On a Cayman GT4 you can control it via the Sport button... On a M4 you can via the M button settings I believe.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #24
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
371
Rep
4,810
Posts

Drives: Fast ones
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

The rev matching is only thing activating sports mode does in my GT4. But honestly it works so well that I don't bother turning it off. Maybe on the track but can't imagine not using it on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Twix's Avatar
Canada
406
Rep
1,758
Posts

Drives: 2002 LR Disco
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Am I the only one that always turns my DSC off whenever I drive my car? Unless I'm on the highway with the cruise on, I always shut mine off.
__________________
2016 M2 - Sold
2014 X1 - Sold
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Cope
First Lieutenant
Cope's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: B-Town

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
The rev matching is only thing activating sports mode does in my GT4. But honestly it works so well that I don't bother turning it off. Maybe on the track but can't imagine not using it on the road.
Do you have any trouble going between manual cars? That's really my concern; I obviously rev match every downshift that it's just something I do without realizing it (as I'm sure many of you do too). I don't want to over-rev the M2 out of habit, nor do I want to build a habit from the M2 that I subconsciously forget to rev match in the other cars.

I just don't understand why rev matching isn't a standalone switch. Cost savings on not adding one more switch? Both Nissan and Chevy have standalone switches for their systems... it can't be that hard.
__________________
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #27
MR.
Colonel
MR.'s Avatar
No_Country
3769
Rep
2,708
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 Competition on order
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Travelling / Managing / Writing

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
Do you have any trouble going between manual cars? That's really my concern; I obviously rev match every downshift that it's just something I do without realizing it (as I'm sure many of you do too). I don't want to over-rev the M2 out of habit, nor do I want to build a habit from the M2 that I subconsciously forget to rev match in the other cars.

I just don't understand why rev matching isn't a standalone switch. Cost savings on not adding one more switch? Both Nissan and Chevy have standalone switches for their systems... it can't be that hard.
Especially not hard since it is a software thing to switch it on or off. A setting in iDrive is hardly any effort for a software engineer.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
Advevo
Major
434
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: M2, E30 M3 DTM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

iTrader: (0)

If you drive in sport plus and put DSC completely off the better throttle response is going back into comfort mode.

On the Idrive i have sport mode on max settings.

Have you experienced the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
10942
Rep
9,746
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
If you drive in sport plus and put DSC completely off the better throttle response is going back into comfort mode.
On the Idrive i have sport mode on max settings.
Have you experienced the same thing?
Advevo, FWIW, check pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training shown below:

Name:  M2_TT_Electronics_01.jpg
Views: 18115
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  M2_TT_Electronics_02.jpg
Views: 16004
Size:  58.0 KB
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #30
Advevo
Major
434
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: M2, E30 M3 DTM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

iTrader: (0)

ok but i have now wheels with no TPMS sensors i quess the sport throttle goes to comfort modus then.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
1213
Rep
1,966
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
If you drive in sport plus and put DSC completely off the better throttle response is going back into comfort mode.

On the Idrive i have sport mode on max settings.

Have you experienced the same thing?
When you have DSC off the throttle reverts to the sport setting.
__________________
Current
AW BMW M2
Past
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #32
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
1213
Rep
1,966
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Advevo, FWIW, check pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training shown below:

Attachment 1424062

Attachment 1424063

Does anyone know if there is a European MDM mode that can be coded in US cars? I drive mostly in sport+ and would like less intrusive nannies.
__________________
Current
AW BMW M2
Past
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 2
Ynos227.50

      05-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #33
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
206
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Thanks for the info. Based on the information, it is not possible to fully deactivate the DSC...
Press an hold for 10 seconds.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:12 AM   #34
Smiley1175
Major
Smiley1175's Avatar
Australia
269
Rep
1,015
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Translation into 1M language (except if mistaken):
  • 1M: briefly push the MDM button (instrument cluster: DSC icon + MDM) | emergency nannies active (drift indulgent)
    M2: either briefly push the "DSC OFF" button or push the Driving Dynamics Control button to setting "SPORT+" (instrument cluster: DSC icon + TRACTION) = SPORT+ mode with DSC ON [TRACTION] | high steering force for the driver | emergency nannies active (drift indulgent)
Anyone notice that Sport+ (MDM mode) is quite different to MDM mode in the 1M?
It's raining outside and I went for a short drive, 1st gear turning left in Sport + had me completely sideways... a lot more than I would have been in the 1M.
I actually thought I had DSC completely off.
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or it's a combination of weather, conditions, new tyres (car has 200km's).
More testing will surely follow.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #35
gthal
Major General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
1829
Rep
5,687
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Anyone notice that Sport+ (MDM mode) is quite different to MDM mode in the 1M?
It's raining outside and I went for a short drive, 1st gear turning left in Sport + had me completely sideways... a lot more than I would have been in the 1M.
I actually thought I had DSC completely off.
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or it's a combination of weather, conditions, new tyres (car has 200km's).
More testing will surely follow.
MDM on the M2 does feel less restrictive to me than on other cars like my M4. Not sure if it actually is but I have found it intervenes a lot less than I would have expected based on my experience in other M cars... which is a good thing
__________________
2018 340i | Mineral Gray | Current DD | C8 mid-engine Corvette to come next year
2016 M2 | Long Beach Blue | 6MT
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3 | 1996 E36 M3 (track car)
Appreciate 2
termigni1046.00

      01-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #36
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
10942
Rep
9,746
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Update: original section #1 of the first post of this thread was replaced by pages 114 to 118 of the M2 owner's manual 2016 (US version) (which was not yet electronically made available at the time of creating this thread).
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #37
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
595
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Advevo, FWIW, check pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training shown below:

Attachment 1424062

Attachment 1424063

Does anyone know if there is a European MDM mode that can be coded in US cars? I drive mostly in sport+ and would like less intrusive nannies.
It can
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
59
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
MDM on the M2 does feel less restrictive to me than on other cars like my M4. Not sure if it actually is but I have found it intervenes a lot less than I would have expected based on my experience in other M cars... which is a good thing
This is good news indeed.
I am planning to track in MDM mode and based on the feedback I am getting, it seems feasible (the nannies should not intervene much unless I mess up) with 1) a staggered set up and 2) Euro MDM ideally.

I am hoping I can run a square set up and MDM with limited or no intervention as well.
Am I expecting too much or should this be feasible?

There is a thread in the tracking section re this but decisive info yet:
Source:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1344556
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #39
z3lai
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: M2, Speciale, C63 BS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: hk

iTrader: (0)

Is there any way to have MDM on while in sport ??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #40
M2OG
First Lieutenant
315
Rep
372
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (1)

Sorry if this is redundant but I'm still a little confused... Am I correct in that when DSC OFF is enabled there is no way to get the throttle response of Sport+?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #41
akkando
Brigadier General
3062
Rep
4,141
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Sorry if this is redundant but I'm still a little confused... Am I correct in that when DSC OFF is enabled there is no way to get the throttle response of Sport+?
That's my understanding
Appreciate 1
M2OG314.50

      05-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #42
maddoc
Lieutenant
118
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: F87
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cashburn, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Sorry if this is redundant but I'm still a little confused... Am I correct in that when DSC OFF is enabled there is no way to get the throttle response of Sport+?
Is there a way to get Sport + throttle response with DSC OFF (i.e. 10 sec hold of the button). I also noticed the exhaust note changes with DSC off.

Is there a tune/reflash or can I use the AWRON?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #43
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
termigni's Avatar
United_States
1046
Rep
1,771
Posts

Drives: S2000, X6,M2, Model3, 911
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Stupid question but why are there 3 columns under Sport mode? Can we customize 3 different ways under Sport mode or something?
__________________
2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #44
CTSean
Second Lieutenant
142
Rep
240
Posts

Drives: LCI BSM MT M2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Stupid question but why are there 3 columns under Sport mode? Can we customize 3 different ways under Sport mode or something?
You mean the A, F and A+F "sub headings"? That's because the M2 has those settings under "configure sport" in the iDrive menu.



A = Drivetrain = throttle and transmission setting
F = Chassis = steering

So if you put in Sport, but your "sport configuration" is "chassis" only, then your throttle and transmission remain in "comfort" and only the steering is in Sport.
Appreciate 1
termigni1046.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST