BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > FBO Quote - Does this seem legit?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
FBO Quote - Does this seem legit?

I contacted my local performance shop about doing the install of a bunch of parts. i'd like to see what you all think as far as pricing goes. Heres the quote:

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00
Intercooler Install - 200.00
Downpipe Install - $437.50
Boost/Chargepipe Install - $187.50
Turbo Inlet Install - $187.50
Diverter valve Install - $62.50
Shop Supplies - $18.22

Total: $1,343.22

I added 2 dyno runs (@ $125 each) for before and after comparison. Does this seem about right?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
233
Rep
653
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

You might ask if these are individual prices or if they gave any credit for overlap in the labor operations.
Appreciate 1
detroitm21702.50

      01-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
12628
Rep
136,286
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I contacted my local performance shop about doing the install of a bunch of parts. i'd like to see what you all think as far as pricing goes. Heres the quote:

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00
Intercooler Install - 200.00
Downpipe Install - $437.50
Boost/Chargepipe Install - $187.50
Turbo Inlet Install - $187.50
Diverter valve Install - $62.50
Shop Supplies - $18.22

Total: $1,343.22

I added 2 dyno runs (@ $125 each) for before and after comparison. Does this seem about right?

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00

overpriced. Most shops charge $75-$100 for 3 pulls

Intercooler Install - 200.00 - thats fine

Downpipe Install - $437.50 - should $200

Boost/Chargepipe Install - $187.50 this job can be done at the same time as the intercooler. No reason to charge you $187.50
__________________
Check Out Our Sale Section!
Phone 725-221-5267 || website www.x-ph.com

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
You might ask if these are individual prices or if they gave any credit for overlap in the labor operations.
Good point. I asked about that. will reply when I get more info.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00

overpriced. Most shops charge $75-$100 for 3 pulls

Intercooler Install - 200.00 - thats fine

Downpipe Install - $437.50 - should $200

Boost/Chargepipe Install - $187.50 this job can be done at the same time as the intercooler. No reason to charge you $187.50
Thanks for the reply. I did check other dyno shops in the area, most of them are comparable to this. Seems to just be the market here. (There isn't a ton of competition around these parts).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Anthony1s
Colonel
1556
Rep
2,271
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

I think the important thing to remember is that these are just estimates shops give. Shops aren't intimately familiar with every single car to give precise quotes. The same part on one car can take 3x as long on another car. Think of changing spark plugs on an i4 compared to that of a boxer engine or transverse mounted v6 or rear engine lambo. You can go over everything with the manager and techs, show them in detail what's involved, but they will probably over-estimate still anyway. Just to air on the side of caution.

It's generally a better outcome when a customer thinks a job is gonna take 10hrs and cause $1600 then when everything is done find out it only took 5hrs and cost $800. I mean, would you ever like to hear a job cost more than the estimate in the end? I wouldn't, because I set aside money to make sure I can pay for the job and if it cost more, I'd have to come up with money that wasn't planned for.

Shops I've been to charge an hourly rate. They give large estimates and at the end, they tally up the hours they logged and charge accordingly.

What's important to me is being able to go over what's involved with the mechanic, being able to check in on progress while my car is there, discuss my ideas/thoughts/concerns, etc. Actually build a relationship and trust over time. I've been to a lot of places techs and mechanics are real shady. Won't answer you questions, get upset when you stop in to check progress, etc. I've been to places where I'm like "I really don't think you're doing this right. Here is why" or "can you explain why you're doing it this way" Then they get pissed off because they take it as an insult to their "expertise" When really, if they were experts, they would be able to explain why they're right and I'm wrong or why the way they're doing it is the best way. It's all about communication and trust for me.

But yea, I wouldn't shy away from a shop because an estimate they gave is high. If you feel they know what they're doing and you can trust them, then give them your work.
__________________
Click "Appreciate" on my post if I was helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
So. It looks like whatever quoting software they use has an "ad-hoc" pricing mode, instead of combining the labor. Heres the new prices he just sent:

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00
Intercooler Install - 200.00
Downpipe Install - $312.50
Boost/Chargepipe Install - $62.50
Turbo Inlet Install - $62.50
Diverter valve Install - $62.50
Shop Supplies - $18.22

Total: $968.22

Seems a lot more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
TemjinX2
Major
497
Rep
1,436
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

i would try to find a s55/n55 specific tuner shop...usually these shops can give you the best prices since they done it so many times...their techs can do the install faster then book times.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Dasnub
Private
57
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
So. It looks like whatever quoting software they use has an "ad-hoc" pricing mode, instead of combining the labor. Heres the new prices he just sent:

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00
Intercooler Install - 200.00
Downpipe Install - $312.50
Boost/Chargepipe Install - $62.50
Turbo Inlet Install - $62.50
Diverter valve Install - $62.50
Shop Supplies - $18.22

Total: $968.22

Seems a lot more reasonable.
Where did you have the work done? Iím in Detroit and considering similar upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
So. It looks like whatever quoting software they use has an "ad-hoc" pricing mode, instead of combining the labor. Heres the new prices he just sent:

(2) Dyno Power Pulls - $250.00
Intercooler Install - 200.00
Downpipe Install - $312.50
Boost/Chargepipe Install - $62.50
Turbo Inlet Install - $62.50
Diverter valve Install - $62.50
Shop Supplies - $18.22

Total: $968.22

Seems a lot more reasonable.
Where did you have the work done? I’m in Detroit and considering similar upgrades.
Boost Controlled Performance in Livonia.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Dasnub
Private
57
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Boost Controlled Performance in Livonia.
Thanks! Did you have work done by them? Happy with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
Dasnub
Private
57
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Nevermind. They oddly just told me they donít work on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Nevermind. They oddly just told me they don't work on the M2.
Strange. That's where I had my work done. They did a great job and finished it within a couple days.

I paid a bit more than the quoted price above. The DV+ took a lot longer to install than they expected and I split the labor cost with them. The sales guy I worked with isn't there anymore, but I know they were working on another M2 (pure stage 2) that they were having a hell of a time with. Maybe they stopped doing BMW stuff.

You can also checkout Vast Performance in Ferndale. I've done my alignment and some few minor things over there. Good group of guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
Dasnub
Private
57
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Strange. That's where I had my work done. They did a great job and finished it within a couple days.

I paid a bit more than the quoted price above. The DV+ took a lot longer to install than they expected and I split the labor cost with them. The sales guy I worked with isn't there anymore, but I know they were working on another M2 (pure stage 2) that they were having a hell of a time with. Maybe they stopped doing BMW stuff.

You can also checkout Vast Performance in Ferndale. I've done my alignment and some few minor things over there. Good group of guys.
They suggested them to me as well actually, so will have to check them out. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1703
Rep
1,955
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Strange. That's where I had my work done. They did a great job and finished it within a couple days.

I paid a bit more than the quoted price above. The DV+ took a lot longer to install than they expected and I split the labor cost with them. The sales guy I worked with isn't there anymore, but I know they were working on another M2 (pure stage 2) that they were having a hell of a time with. Maybe they stopped doing BMW stuff.

You can also checkout Vast Performance in Ferndale. I've done my alignment and some few minor things over there. Good group of guys.
They suggested them to me as well actually, so will have to check them out. Thanks again!
No problem. Let me know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST