BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > DriveDeck Sport (M Performance Analyzer)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
DriveDeck Sport (M Performance Analyzer)

Looks like the M Performance Analyzer developer offers their own version of the app...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/driv...675718679?mt=8

https://drivedeck.de/produkte/drivedeckpro/

Unfortunately, it looks like it requires their ODBII stick which costs just as much...

https://drivedeck.de/shop.html

Last edited by omasou; 06-30-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C3045.50
rkmjr35.50

      06-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
lax01
Major
572
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Is the M Performance Drive Analyser OBD stick (or their stick) anything other than a wifi bridge for the OBDII port? Anyone try it with the VGate2?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Is the M Performance Drive Analyser OBD stick (or their stick) anything other than a wifi bridge for the OBDII port? Anyone try it with the VGate2?
Unfortunately, you have to enter the serial number on the ODBII stick. BimmerCode doesn't work with it and says it requires the VGate stick. A bit of a PITA. Thankfully the VGate isn't too expensive.

See Step 2 on page 4, https://drivedeck.de/media/wysiwyg/d...nglisch_v2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
These are M Performance Analyzer Core Data screens shots.

They were taken after the dash temperature gauge reached OK and the arrow was in the middle and the car is idling, except for the Mass Air Flow screen shot, I had to rev the engine to get the gauge to move. It appears, I forgot to take a screen shot of the Speed ODB, which would have shown 0 MPH.

It would be nice if they let you customize a screen to show a couple of these gauges at one time.
Attached Images
             

Last edited by omasou; 07-03-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
This is a sample of an autocross run w/o video. Surprised how accurate the course is only using the phone GPS and their algorithms. The phone is laying face up next to the shift lever and ashtray.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
lax01
Major
572
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

So oil temp is available...there has to be an internal menu in the car which will display oil temp somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
So oil temp is available...there has to be an internal menu in the car which will display oil temp somewhere...
Still learning but based on my reading; all of the car sensors are continually broadcasting their values to the CAN network. If you have a device on the network, e.g. ODBII stick and program, you and read those values.

Just b/c there is a sensor (or calculated value) doesn't mean there is an iDrive UI that we can see

I had thought some markets can display an oil temperature gauge instead of the efficiency dynmics we have, in which case I'm surprised someone hasn't coded it on.

UPDATE: There must be an oil sensor in the M2. When I hooked up to the X5 the oil temperature gauge was not an option under Core Data.

Last edited by omasou; 07-01-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
lax01
Major
572
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Still learning but based on my reading; all of the car sensors are continually broadcasting their values to the CAN network. If you have a device on the network, e.g. ODBII stick and program, you and read those values.

Just b/c there is a sensor (or calculated value) doesn't mean there is an iDrive UI that we can see

I had thought some markets can display an oil temperature gauge instead of the efficiency dynmics we have, in which case I'm surprised someone hasn't coded it on.

UPDATE: There must be an oil sensor in the M2. When I hooked up to the X5 the oil temperature gauge was not an option under Core Data.
yeah, I got Torque to work with my VGate 2 - but it be nice to have a simple gauge to monitor oil temp / pressure on the track...doubt the water temp gauge is anything more than a "dumb" gauge...just seems wrong for an M car to not have a physical (or digital) oil temp gauge
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
ZPrime
I INDIC8
ZPrime's Avatar
United_States
553
Rep
1,270
Posts

Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

There's also Harry's Laptimer, which can tie in to various OBD2 readers to pull much of the same data from the car. Don't know if OBD2 readers can pull oil temp or boost though, some of that stuff may only be available to the M-perf app.

Does the M Perf app allow you to use an external GPS source? The built-in GPS on a phone is generally not accurate enough to give you good laptimes at track speeds. You want a 5-10Hz external GPS source if you can get one.
__________________
2004 Matrix XRS 6MT => 2008 VW R32 DSG => 2012 Audi TTRS 6MT => 2018 BMW ///M2 6MT
I'm an IT guy by trade and tech nerd by choice.
I like HPDEs, parts of US Hwy 129, NC 28, and the Cherohala Skyway.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
BAN_M2C
Colonel
BAN_M2C's Avatar
United_States
3046
Rep
2,547
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sunshine State

iTrader: (2)

@omasou I have been using the App for a while now and its been useful to record and get some datalogs. I responded to your PM about the App but don't recall if we talked more about it.

I have contacted the developers who are quite responsive to debug some issues I had in the past which were corrected with the last update they pushed out.

I told them the should add a feature to customize a gauge screen where you could display multiple to monitor at the same time. Showed them a picture of how I set them up on the Torque App.

They said they would take it into consideration as a future update.

But who knows if they will ever implement. :
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 M2 Competition Ordered
2017 LBB M2|2011 BSM 135i|Follow me on IG
2019 M2 Competition|2017 LBB M2 (Sold)|2011 BSM 135i|1974 Granarot 2002
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
There's also Harry's Laptimer, which can tie in to various OBD2 readers to pull much of the same data from the car. Don't know if OBD2 readers can pull oil temp or boost though, some of that stuff may only be available to the M-perf app.

Does the M Perf app allow you to use an external GPS source? The built-in GPS on a phone is generally not accurate enough to give you good laptimes at track speeds. You want a 5-10Hz external GPS source if you can get one.
Thanks for the option. I'm already invested in this so I want to try and make it work. Really the only improvement I would like is to log all Core Data, have it auto start and stop w/o me having to press the button each time and trigger the GoPro which it cannot b/c it is already on WiFi but w/an iPhone holder I can use the iPhone camera.

How do you hook an external GPS to an iPhone?

This is the response I received about the GPS and data analysis...
The M Performance Drive Analyser is using the GPS data from your smartphone.
The GPS data interval is 1 Hz, exactly the same as the GPS interval from your car.

By the way, a faster GPS data interval does not necessarily mean a better accuracy.
The app is using a GPS data interpolation algorithm that produces 5 GPS positions per second
using TrackDrive. TestDrive is using speed and rpm directly from your car so that the
accuracy is at 0.1 second.

You can export .csv files and send them to your email account by using the EXPORT button in the TrackDrive archive. These files can be used directly by RaceRender tools.
FYI...You can also use iTunes to export all of the data.

So yes it could be better but I was pretty amazed at how accurate the ax course render was and the phone was next to the shifter not on the dash.

Last edited by omasou; 07-03-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #12
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2 View Post
@omasou I have been using the App for a while now and its been useful to record and get some datalogs. I responded to your PM about the App but don't recall if we talked more about it.

I have contacted the developers who are quite responsive to debug some issues I had in the past which were corrected with the last update they pushed out.

I told them the should add a feature to customize a gauge screen where you could display multiple to monitor at the same time. Showed them a picture of how I set them up on the Torque App.

They said they would take it into consideration as a future update.

But who knows if they will ever implement. :
Yes, I remember thanks! BTW, I asked them the same thing
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
BAN_M2C
Colonel
BAN_M2C's Avatar
United_States
3046
Rep
2,547
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sunshine State

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Yes, I remember thanks! BTW, I asked them the same thing
Goooood.. they will most likely grasp the idea if more users suggest it.

It would be perfect if you could sync and use the Apps data with a GoPro video.
__________________
2019 M2 Competition Ordered
2017 LBB M2|2011 BSM 135i|Follow me on IG
2019 M2 Competition|2017 LBB M2 (Sold)|2011 BSM 135i|1974 Granarot 2002
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
ZPrime's Avatar
United_States
553
Rep
1,270
Posts

Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Thanks for the option. I'm already invested in this so I want to try and make it work. Really the only improvement I would like is to log all Core Data, have it auto start and stop w/o me having to press the button each time and trigger the GoPro which it cannot b/c it is already on WiFi but w/an iPhone holder I can use the iPhone camera.

How do you hook an external GPS to an iPhone?

This is the response I received about the GPS and data analysis...
The M Performance Drive Analyser is using the GPS data from your smartphone.
The GPS data interval is 1 Hz, exactly the same as the GPS interval from your car.

By the way, a faster GPS data interval does not necessarily mean a better accuracy.
The app is using a GPS data interpolation algorithm that produces 5 GPS positions per second
using TrackDrive. TestDrive is using speed and rpm directly from your car so that the
accuracy is at 0.1 second.

You can export .csv files and send them to your email account by using the EXPORT button in the TrackDrive archive. These files can be used directly by RaceRender tools.
FYI...You can also use iTunes to export all of the data.

So yes it could be better but I was pretty amazed at how accurate the ax course render was and the phone was next to the shifter not on the dash.
This is a good read to better understand GPS + phone capabilities with these sorts of track apps. The TL;DR summary - you want a higher sample rate than the 1Hz the phone can do, and you want a more accurate receiver if possible, mounted with a good clear view of the sky (far up on the dash / in the windshield, or outside the car if possible).

(TrackAddict is a competitor to Harry's and DriveDeck)

The external GPS box I have connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and Harry's Laptimer then polls it for GPS instead of the internal phone GPS.
__________________
2004 Matrix XRS 6MT => 2008 VW R32 DSG => 2012 Audi TTRS 6MT => 2018 BMW ///M2 6MT
I'm an IT guy by trade and tech nerd by choice.
I like HPDEs, parts of US Hwy 129, NC 28, and the Cherohala Skyway.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #15
Megator
Second Lieutenant
Megator's Avatar
110
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NL

iTrader: (0)

BTW just because you get an oil temp reading it does not mean that there is a sensor.

My Focus RS had an oil temp gauge and I can tell you it had no oil temp sensor. The value was calculated using an algorithem that was tuned at the factory and did not reflect real world values if the car was tuned or fitted with an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #16
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
BTW just because you get an oil temp reading it does not mean that there is a sensor.

My Focus RS had an oil temp gauge and I can tell you it had no oil temp sensor. The value was calculated using an algorithem that was tuned at the factory and did not reflect real world values if the car was tuned or fitted with an oil cooler.
Hummm...perhaps you're correct...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1712
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
Megator
Second Lieutenant
Megator's Avatar
110
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Perhaps not!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...90#13621433076

BMW seems to use the same sensor for oil and water temps. Sensor part #13 in that diagram seems to be right next to the oil filter and oil filter passages?

That is the S55 though!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...51#13621433076

N55 is the same

I found this guide, but cant seem to see that sensor in these pics https://bmwtis.info/removing-and-ins...e-bmw-s55/amp/
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #18
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
The developer updated the M Performance Analyzer to support multiple gauges. So if you have a feature you would like to see, you might want to reach out to them and let them know.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #19
SM2
Captain
SM2's Avatar
208
Rep
736
Posts

Drives: gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicagoland (Northern)

iTrader: (0)

Can this be coded in with bimmercode. I found the M laptimer and activated that app via coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
SM2
Captain
SM2's Avatar
208
Rep
736
Posts

Drives: gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicagoland (Northern)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Yes, I remember thanks! BTW, I asked them the same thing
Goooood.. they will most likely grasp the idea if more users suggest it.

It would be perfect if you could sync and use the Apps data with a GoPro video.
I think M laptimer allows you to do go pro stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
BAN_M2C
Colonel
BAN_M2C's Avatar
United_States
3046
Rep
2,547
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sunshine State

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Yes, I remember thanks! BTW, I asked them the same thing
Goooood.. they will most likely grasp the idea if more users suggest it.

It would be perfect if you could sync and use the Apps data with a GoPro video.
I think M laptimer allows you to do go pro stuff.
Start stop and pause I believe. But can't sync completely last time I checked.
__________________
2019 M2 Competition Ordered
2017 LBB M2|2011 BSM 135i|Follow me on IG
2019 M2 Competition|2017 LBB M2 (Sold)|2011 BSM 135i|1974 Granarot 2002
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST