BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Turner Front Lip

11-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / G01 X3 M40i / F31

Turner Front Lip

Does anyone have experience with the Turner front lip for the OG M2?

Looking to get a front lip/splitter that mounts with OEM holes/screws. Don't want to drill into the bumper.

Any experience or options are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippe View Post

Looking to get a front lip/splitter that mounts with OEM holes/screws. Don't want to drill into the bumper.

Thanks.
I have it and love it. Really completes the front end in an OEM+ kinda way that's not overly in your face. Also goes great with the side winglets if you have those. It's a handful of double sided tape, a few OEM mounting points, and a few self tapping screws into the bumper.

here are a few pics of it from different angles:

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

That looks great, thanks for the pics. On the Tuner website, there is no mention of self tapping screws, only mentions OEM mounting locations. Did you add those to be safe, or had to use self tappers?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
That looks great, thanks for the pics. On the Tuner website, there is no mention of self tapping screws, only mentions OEM mounting locations. Did you add those to be safe, or had to use self tappers?
Maybe they've changed the design slightly or I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure there were 2-3.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Quote:
Maybe they've changed the design slightly or I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure there were 2-3.
any other front lips out there that are a direct mount to OEM without drilling or taping screws in?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 08:54 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
I have it and love it. Really completes the front end in an OEM+ kinda way that's not overly in your face. Also goes great with the side winglets if you have those. It's a handful of double sided tape, a few OEM mounting points, and a few self tapping screws into the bumper.

Yours is the AutoID lip IIRC… shouldn't you have remembered that?

The turner lip is very different. OP should have linked it. Had to dig for it myself

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...ber-front-lip/
Appreciate 1
AKD75.50
      11-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Yours is the AutoID lip IIRC… shouldn't you have remembered that?

The turner lip is very different. OP should have linked it. Had to dig for it myself

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...ber-front-lip/
Has anyone installed the Turner front Lip? any experience / pictures would ne greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Its crazy to me that its mostly held by tape and the few factory mounting points. Maybe enough I guess, also I guess if you never going to take it over 130 it should be fine
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50
      11-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
Its crazy to me that its mostly held by tape and the few factory mounting points. Maybe enough I guess, also I guess if you never going to take it over 130 it should be fine
It looks like there is one rivet to install in the center of the bumper. Would be great if we could hear of anyone using this front lip on their M2.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Now that's funny

11-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #11
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Now that's funny

Wait, weren’t we just reading about someone that had their lip destroyed going pretty fast? And wasn't even taped but not enough screws. Plenty of stories out there of similar things happening even with self tapping screws.

Last edited by MooMooM2; 11-22-2021 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Now that's funny

Wait, weren't we just reading about someone that had their lip destroyed going pretty fast? And wasn't even taped but not enough screws. Plenty of stories out there of similar things happening even with self tapping screws.
Yeah that sounds awfully outrageous

I like to go fast at times and when I do I don't want any fucking surprises
      11-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #13
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

I was just wondering if anybody had installed the Turner front lip and if they had a good experience with it. I understand different lips require different installation methods, just curious about the Turner lip as there is not a lot of info I could find.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:16 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
If you prep the surface carefully and use enough tape it will be fine, 3M VHB has an incredibly high weight carrying capacity, like a couple of pounds per square inch.

My rear deck lid spoiler is held on solely by 3m and it has been like that for like 4 years, and it is holding up perfectly fine. I literally could probably crack the spoiler or damage the clear coat before I ripped it off the trunk.

If that is not enough for you, beta link is even stronger.
      11-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #15
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
If you prep the surface carefully and use enough tape it will be fine, 3M VHB has an incredibly high weight carrying capacity, like a couple of pounds per square inch.

My rear deck lid spoiler is held on solely by 3m and it has been like that for like 4 years, and it is holding up perfectly fine. I literally could probably crack the spoiler or damage the clear coat before I ripped it off the trunk.

If that is not enough for you, beta link is even stronger.
From what I understand the amount of force push down a front lip gets is much stronger than a spoiler. It would make sense since its where the wind hits first. 3m tape is very strong no doubt but so is the amount of force the front lip gets when you going 150mph.

It is probably fine don’t get me wrong, plenty out there never been ripped out, some have but you just never know if it is poor installation or something else. Personally I would add some self tapping screws as well just for peace of mind. I get it people don’t want to drill their bumper but its under side no one will ever see it and if it prevents your shit going flying and damaging your car or another car imo worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #16
mahsan988
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Thanks.
I have a Turner front lip installed. I didn't install myself but the previous owner stated it was a Turner R&D car and has all Turner parts on it.

I just checked for you and there are 5 total screws. 2 in the outer edges and 1 in the center.

FWIW I have gone 153 mph and it didn't fly off 😅
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
From what I understand the amount of force push down a front lip gets is much stronger than a spoiler. It would make sense since its where the wind hits first. 3m tape is very strong no doubt but so is the amount of force the front lip gets when you going 150mph.

It is probably fine don’t get me wrong, plenty out there never been ripped out, some have but you just never know if it is poor installation or something else. Personally I would add some self tapping screws as well just for peace of mind. I get it people don’t want to drill their bumper but its under side no one will ever see it and if it prevents your shit going flying and damaging your car or another car imo worth it.
Yeah I would add self tapping screws as well.

I doubt there is that much aero forces where it exceeds the 3ms weight capacity. The lip is extremely narrow so there's not going to be much drag, then there is not much lip as well so there going to be little to zero down force generated.
      11-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #18
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahsan988 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
I have a Turner front lip installed. I didn't install myself but the previous owner stated it was a Turner R&D car and has all Turner parts on it.

I just checked for you and three are 5 total screws. 2 in the order edges and 1 in the center.

FWIW I have gone 153 mph and it didn't fly off
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahsan988 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.

I just checked for you and three are 5 total screws. 2 in the order edges and 1 in the center.

FWIW I have gone 153 mph and it didn't fly off
That's great information. Thank you. I'm surprised that there are very few M2s running this lip...
Appreciate 0