BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

07-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #1057
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
That said, they later came back to say that you CAN lock the DME again via BM3 but if you need to unlock it again you need to revisit a garage... true? They seem a little confused on their own capabilities...
Yes, they do seem to be a bit confused about this.

From what I've gathered, you can lock the DME but it's more or less like a 'soft' lock - Or as PTF put it "different kind of lock that we can apply via app, whish is used for license tranfer and dealer visit purposes. It won't lock the DME completely".

When you get the bench unlock, they basically change the software version to the one which you can lock/unlock just like the pre-March 2019 DME software. However, If you visit the dealer and they update and/or lock the DME, you'll need to get it bench unlocked again as they'll update the software version to the one that's not unlockable via OBD.

That's what I was able to figure out after multiple emails with PTF.

I believe this is false information. it has been said multiple times that an older version isn't installed. it remains the current version.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #1058
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
What shop was this? Cedar? Surprised Matt is quoting that high.
Yep, I asked him why it wasn't $150 and he said because they have to do 'physical labor' to get to the ECU to bench unlock it so it's $250 instead of $150 if you bring in your ECU.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #1059
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I diagree. So many s55 out there and out of warranty. Lots of owners want to flash their used purchased M2,3,4 with s55 engine.

As vehicles get more and more expensive not many owners want to flash their brand new M3 with s58 engine and void their warranty on a 100k USD vehicle.

There is still a huge justification to unlock S55 engine in the M2. The demographic and pricepoint of the M2 makes it a very suitiable car to tune.
I hope you are right of course :-)
Only one way to find out ... 16 months and counting ...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #1060
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

If you bench unlock the ECU,flash a new map using BM3 and then you need to go back to stock for a dealer visit,is it easy for the dealer spot that the ECU has been unlocked?

Then go back to modified require a new unlock?

Sorry if this has been asked and/or answered already
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #1061
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prompt View Post
If you bench unlock the ECU,flash a new map using BM3 and then you need to go back to stock for a dealer visit,is it easy for the dealer spot that the ECU has been unlocked?

Then go back to modified require a new unlock?

Sorry if this has been asked and/or answered already
Unfortunately yes. DME unlock will flag a standard DME tamper code so as soon as they plug in a laptop it'll be front and centre. If you lock the DME with BM3 you need to go back to a garage to have it bench unlocked again.

Feel free to correct me someone! I'd like to be wrong...
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      07-17-2020, 02:52 AM   #1062
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. DME unlock will flag a standard DME tamper code so as soon as they plug in a laptop it'll be front and centre. If you lock the DME with BM3 you need to go back to a garage to have it bench unlocked again.

Feel free to correct me someone! I'd like to be wrong...
Thanks for the answer,
even if you lock it again the tamper code will be visible?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #1063
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

There is a topic in the F80M3 section, where a BMW tech recently discovered that bootmod3 ecu flashes will be detected even after flashing back to stock + locking the ecu.

Worth a read through before you go the route of bench unlocking, bootmodding, and believing you can still claim warranty after something goes pear shape.

\\https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739110
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      07-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #1064
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
There is a topic in the F80M3 section, where a BMW tech recently discovered that bootmod3 ecu flashes will be detected even after flashing back to stock + locking the ecu.

Worth a read through before you go the route of bench unlocking, bootmodding, and believing you can still claim warranty after something goes pear shape.

I think my concern isn't so much claiming on engine warranty after I've tuned my engine, because... on my head be it if things go wrong. What I am concerned about is say, a warranty claim on something unrelated to the tune but a tech discovering the car is flashed and immediately defaulting to "sorry, warranty void". I'd like an easy way to 'hide' the flash at a basic level so a tech doesn't use it as a cop-out.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      07-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #1065
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
How to handle the SA when it comes to changing out plugs? I am running NGKs, early next year will be my 30K service.

What should I do??

Buy pair of OE plugs and put it back in?

Or tell the service dept it's already been done and decline the plug service?

Or hand them my old plugs and say if BMW asks here they are and give me 6 new plugs.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #1066
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Quote:
I think my concern isn't so much claiming on engine warranty after I've tuned my engine, because... on my head be it if things go wrong. What I am concerned about is say, a warranty claim on something unrelated to the tune but a tech discovering the car is flashed and immediately defaulting to "sorry, warranty void". I'd like an easy way to 'hide' the flash at a basic level so a tech doesn't use it as a cop-out.
That would make sense, but an aftermarket exhaust + an annoying tech would possibly give you the same result.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #1067
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quick question...

Does bootmod have an option for stock tunes? Like, going from M2C to a M4 comp or GTS tune for example. Is that possible? Or does it only start at stage 1?
      08-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #1068
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yes there a several stage 0.5 options as i call them
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #1069
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

has anyone gotten "GTS Roar" feature to work?

Does anyone have a clip or description on what it's "supposed" to sound like? I have it enabled and don't think it's operational on my car. I had PTF guys remote log in and help, and they basically changed the burbles in custom mode (increased them) and that was that, but I thought it was supposed to be a Startup/Cold Start feature...

Am I confused here?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #1070
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
has anyone gotten "GTS Roar" feature to work?

Does anyone have a clip or description on what it's "supposed" to sound like? I have it enabled and don't think it's operational on my car. I had PTF guys remote log in and help, and they basically changed the burbles in custom mode (increased them) and that was that, but I thought it was supposed to be a Startup/Cold Start feature...

Am I confused here?
No you're right, should rev the engine higher than normal on startup. That said, only works if the engine is warm.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #1071
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post

Do you have something similar to this in the UK?

https://www.autocare.org/government-...-warranty-act/
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #1072
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
I think / thought that BMW only does that for items you've changed. For example, if you change out your suspension then your suspension warranty is void. So in this case an engine tune grenades your engine, they won't cover a replacement engine.

Say you go in because your tail light goes out, they won't deny just because it says your DME is unlocked or that your car is tuned.

But if you go in because your cats fail, they might deny the claim if the cat failure was due to your engine tune (higher EGT or whatever).
      08-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #1073
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I think / thought that BMW only does that for items you've changed. For example, if you change out your suspension then your suspension warranty is void. So in this case an engine tune grenades your engine, they won't cover a replacement engine.

Say you go in because your tail light goes out, they won't deny just because it says your DME is unlocked or that your car is tuned.

But if you go in because your cats fail, they might deny the claim if the cat failure was due to your engine tune (higher EGT or whatever).
Correct, if you put a tune on your car they can't deny your warranty on a tail light, it has nothing to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #1074
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post

Correct, if you put a tune on your car they can't deny your warranty on a tail light, it has nothing to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Unfortunately I live in the UK so that act doesn't apply to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #1075
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
PSA for anyone who is considering to bench unlock their Car’s DME:
Once you get the DME bench unlocked, your car will display the “data tamper protection/manipulation code.” It goes away when you load the tune but if you load the stock tune, it comes back. Apparently, if you take the car in for service and they hook up their computer to car and read that code, BMW automatically flags that car.
That’s why when I took my car in for service I left the tune on and told my SA to just perform the service and not perform any ecu updates.
Wait... so you're saying it's safer to take your car to the garage WITH the tune loaded than load the stock tune (which will then require another bench unlock?)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #1076
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
PSA for anyone who is considering to bench unlock their Car’s DME:
Once you get the DME bench unlocked, your car will display the “data tamper protection/manipulation code.” It goes away when you load the OTS TUNES but if you load the stock tune, it comes back. Apparently, if you take the car in for service and they hook up their computer to car and read that code, BMW automatically flags that car.
That’s why when I took my car in for service I left the tune on and told my SA to just perform the service and not perform any ecu updates. I took a risk when i did that. If I had known earlier about this tamper code issue, I wouldn’t have got the bench unlock.

Edit: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE TO DO THIS. It’s just for the sake of other forum members who are on the fence about getting their DME bench unlocked. It’s a risk and if you really want to do so be prepared to cover the repair costs if BMW denies your warranty!
this is the part that's confusing...

Are you saying that once you unlock, and you flash the tune, if they hook up your car it, it will NOT show the tamper code?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:24 AM   #1077
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
this is the part that's confusing...

Are you saying that once you unlock, and you flash the tune, if they hook up your car it, it will NOT show the tamper code?
It is confusing but that’s what happned with my car at least. Once I got the dme bench unlocked, it started throwing the tamper protection code even with the stock tune still on it. Then I flashed the Stage 1 tune, the code dissapeared. My carly and BM3 software did not pick up the code after flashing it. I flashed my car back to the stock tune and the dme started throwing the code again. I think it’s related to the BENCH UNLOCK and once you tune the car, the tune hides the code. That’s my GUESS and I hope proTUNING Freaks can shed some light on this. That being said, since the car just went for service and not warranty work I’m sure the dealership didn’t do a deep dive to see whether the car was tuned or not. It just wasn’t throwing any codes with the tune on!
Ok that makes sense. Yeah as far as I understand it BM3 removed the ability to re-lock the DME as it was causing issues. The only way to visit a dealer 'clean' is to flash to stock and then have the DME re-locked manually. Then again, they can always find out if they want to.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1078
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Sorry if it's been asked but does the cs+ map benefit from going highflow or catless?
I'm guessing the stage 1 does.
Appreciate 0