BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW and the future of the manual transmission.

07-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
The manual transmission take rate for the M2 in the USA is greater than 50%. While it is great to hear that BMW is publicly stating that they will support manual transmissions in the future, I am deeply concerned that the numbers don't really support this.

Take a look at the details specific to the M2. The pre-LCI USA manual take rate was 52.1%, while the LCI manual take rate is 48.1%.

What's even more concerning is the worldwide manual transmission take rate. For the pre-LCI M2, the worldwide manual take rate was 25.6% but with the LCI M2, the worldwide manual take rate has dropped to only 21.2%.

Sorry to say it, and this comes from a die hard manual transmission enthusiast, the writing is on the wall with respect to BMW manual transmissions.
      07-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
The manual transmission take rate for the M2 in the USA is greater than 50%. While it is great to hear that BMW is publicly stating that they will support manual transmissions in the future, I am deeply concerned that the numbers don't really support this.

Take a look at the details specific to the M2. The pre-LCI USA manual take rate was 52.1%, while the LCI manual take rate is 48.1%.

What's even more concerning is the worldwide manual transmission take rate. For the pre-LCI M2, the worldwide manual take rate was 25.6% but with the LCI M2, the worldwide manual take rate has dropped to only 21.2%.

Sorry to say it, and this comes from a die hard manual transmission enthusiast, the writing is on the wall with respect to BMW manual transmissions.
Same thoughts here And with the M boss saying electric or hybrid M car in all M lineup coming in 2030... only 12 years away.

Better hold on to them manuals boys and girls, cause this right now or something really soon will be the last hurrah for ICE manual M cars.
Appreciate 3
      07-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm so thankful I got to order mine with the manual. The connection to the road with this car in manual is amazing. Long live the manual.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
Blurbo311197.00
      07-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Don’t forget that some euro countries charge 6-7K euros for manual. This could make sales decline as well.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
Blurbo311197.00
      07-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Can't disagree, but this isn't news - the writing's been on the wall. Unfortunately, the manual will die in our lifetime. I predict the Miata will be the last new car with it.
rich8566608.50
      07-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Can't disagree, but this isn't news - the writing's been on the wall. Unfortunately, the manual will die in our lifetime. I predict the Miata will be the last new car with it.
Still hope in the new Z4 (Gxx), glad I bought my M2 in manual though. I don't need faster shifting, just want to rock the stick myself.

But with manufacturers advocating fuel efficiency and optimized shifting, coupled by the limited offering of manual option, consumers will eventually shift as seen in the decline in take-rate.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      07-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

It is hilarious that an article that quotes the head of the M Division as saying as long as the take rate is high they will continue to offer manuals is read by some as negative. The US market is huge and currently the single biggest influencer of what BMW offers (China will likely displace). Sure there will be day where the manual won't be offered but the sky isn't falling and nobody needs to panic. The manual will die eventually, hell before most of us are dead the steering wheel will be a thing of the past also. No sense in worrying about the future, live for today and buy and drive the car you love.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Yes, the manual is dying, but not in my garage.

2018 M2 - 6-speed

2008 S2000 - 6-speed
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Semi related to topic, went to the M track day at COTA.
We were driving M2/3/4s with only DCTs. First time spending extended time with DCTs since I've only ever owned manuals.
Honestly I felt I've never been more disconnected from otherwise raw and senseful cars.

Yes it shift fast/hard, yes you can get the best 0-60 times, yes you can keep both hands on the wheel on the track, but everything else is just not there.
It feels like a video game with button controls, nothing feels mechanical or connected. No vibration, no feedback. Everything was easy and protected.

I genuinely cannot imaging owning one.
Also after this experience, I can't believe anyone would drive DCT in manual mode exclusively, it seems like such a hassle.
Appreciate 4
Blurbo311197.00
Poochie9104.50
      07-31-2018, 12:11 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
We were driving M2/3/4s with only DCTs. First time spending extended time with DCTs since I've only ever owned manuals.
Honestly I felt I've never been more disconnected from otherwise raw and senseful cars.

Yes it shift fast/hard, yes you can get the best 0-60 times, yes you can keep both hands on the wheel on the track, but everything else is just not there.
It feels like a video game with button controls, nothing feels mechanical or connected. No vibration, no feedback. Everything was easy and protected.

Also after this experience, I can't believe anyone would drive DCT in manual mode exclusively, it seems like such a hassle.
I will see you at the finish line.

It's no more of a hassle than shifting a manual.

You're just using paddles and resting your left foot.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post

I can't deal with it in auto mode. If I had to drive it that way normally I would hate the car. You think it's a hassle but for me it's not, to me it's making the vehicle do what I want, when I want. Would take a MT over having to drive in auto mode, no question.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 03:55 AM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Don't tell the people in countries like Greece. Everything here, including most rentals are manuals. You pay a nice surcharge if you want an auto.

The fact is, manuals are cheaper, have fewer parts and are easier to fix. So in countries like Greece, they will be around a long time.

And I hope the states too
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
DaWatsta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Perhaps it will become a cost option?

I think that at the heart of the BMW brand is the focus on the driving experience.

Many of us choose the manual option despite it being slower than the auto option for the simple fact that the experience is more engaging and the feeling of being in more control. The computer can't stop you from shifting down when the revs are too high. You have ultimate control!

As less and less people take up driving manual, I think it is eventually inevitable that the manual will be deleted but let's hope that I don't live to see that day.

If that does happen, these current models will definitely become collectors items so let's enjoy them while it lasts!
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWatsta View Post
I think that at the heart of the BMW brand is the focus on the driving experience.
Historically true, but unfortunately not currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWatsta View Post

Many of us choose the manual option despite it being slower than the auto option for the simple fact that the experience is more engaging and the feeling of being in more control. The computer can't stop you from shifting down when the revs are too high. You have ultimate control!

As less and less people take up driving manual, I think it is eventually inevitable that the manual will be deleted but let's hope that I don't live to see that day.

If that does happen, these current models will definitely become collectors items so let's enjoy them while it lasts!
Impossible to predict the future value of these cars other than that if they depreciate like BMWs usually do, putting your money into securities will be a better investment :-)
      08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post

Time to learn left foot braking. I'm not talking about driving with both feet like your aunt Martha who never drove a manual, I'm talking about tapping the brake instead of a courtesy lift when coming into a high-speed sweeper. Nice way to keep the boost up.

Yes, I know you can (and probably should) use the same technique with a manual, but it's a lot easier with the high-performance transmission.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      08-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Don't tell the people in countries like Greece. Everything here, including most rentals are manuals. You pay a nice surcharge if you want an auto.

The fact is, manuals are cheaper, have fewer parts and are easier to fix. So in countries like Greece, they will be around a long time.

And I hope the states too
I read that the EPA and crash testing has to be separate for manuals in the USA so that is a pretty big barrier / excuse to eliminate manuals when sales diminish. The good news is the M2,3,4 and 911 are good examples where that investment has paid off for the manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Quote:

Time to learn left foot braking. I'm not talking about driving with both feet like your aunt Martha who never drove a manual, I'm talking about tapping the brake instead of a courtesy lift when coming into a high-speed sweeper. Nice way to keep the boost up.

Yes, I know you can (and probably should) use the same technique with a manual, but it's a lot easier with the high-performance transmission.
BMWs not even making auto transmissions anymore they're buying them like the rest of the world is so I doubt you're going to see anything like that happen until they go high performance hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
BMWs not even making auto transmissions anymore they're buying them like the rest of the world is so I doubt you're going to see anything like that happen until they go high performance hybrid.
Huh? What does that have to do with left-foot braking? Or manual vs. DCT, for that matter?
Appreciate 0