BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Does anyone know? Trunk opening question.

06-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Does anyone know? Trunk opening question.

Does anyone know why when I have the car unlocked, the trunk will sometimes open from the handle outside and other times not? This is of course assuming I don't have the key with me but the car is unlocked. I don't seem to see any pattern to this.
      06-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

I've had it happen to me too. It's always been after I've been driving around and the doors auto locked. The driver's side door will unlock as I pull the handle to get out, but the passenger door and trunk remain locked. That could be what's going on with your car, or something else entirely.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I've had it happen to me too. It's always been after I've been driving around and the doors auto locked. The driver's side door will unlock as I pull the handle to get out, but the passenger door and trunk remain locked. That could be what's going on with your car, or something else entirely.
I think I found the answer - it seems the answer is both doors must be unlocked-

"The trunk opens with the rear latch only when both doors are unlocked. If you have pressed the unlock button only once, only the driver's door opens; the other door and the trunk both remain locked. If you press the unlock button twice as you approach the car, everything should be open. There's only something wrong if the trunk won't open when both doors are unlocked.

If you got out of the car when the doors were locked, and you simply opened the driver's door leaving the other door locked, then when you return to the car later and want to open the trunk, it won't open because the passenger door is still locked."