BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Tips on Choosing a PRO Detailer and PPF Installer

07-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Tips on Choosing a PRO Detailer and PPF Installer

If you're like me, PPF is a new thing. Paint Protection Film has drastically improved over that last decade, and I learned all I could on my own, but where to start? I never owned a car that, in my eyes at least, was worthy to 'protect' it in the long term by applying some sort of PPF. As I live in the DFW Metroplex, there are admittedly a plethora of professional shops…some better than others, some more expensive, some cheaper. How would one know which shop is better than others? What criteria should pro shops be qualified in the selection process? Is it price, is it quality of PPF film and detailing tools/materials? How about warranty of work and film?

So below, I wanted to chronicle and share with our BMW community my journey in selecting a pro detail shop as well as a PPF installer.

Background: I purchased my (new to me) ‘19 M2C last month, and I decided that I should hire a pro detailer and PPF installer (full body XPEL, Suntek or Stek). Since the M2C that I bought had ~ 3400 mi when I picked it up, the paint did have the usual chips and scuffs (some on the rims too), so I wanted to get those corrected before the PPF job. Although price is always a factor, I didn’t let that be the only/key driving factor: in the end, I wanted a superbly high-quality installation job, with after-sales support if any issues arose.

Here are some questions and characteristics I looked for in selecting a quality detailer & PPF installer:

1. Quality of Work: is the shop eager to ‘show-off’ its work? Can you see some previous jobs, live/in-person? I was looking for custom PPF install (edge wrapped), and this is where the experience ties right in. Templates are cheaper for a reason…

2. Professionalism & Friendliness: upon your first contact and afterwards, how friendly & professional is the staff in their correspondence with you? Believe it or not, some of the shops I initially contacted, exuded a certain level of arrogance. Sure, my BMW M2 Competition can’t compare to some 991 Turbos, Bugatti’s, Pagani’s or Lambos from a value or rareness perspective, but it’s mine and I cherish it just the same.
Last thing I would want, despite a good install, is to have a bad interaction with the vendor and have terrible support afterwards.

3. Product | Workmanship Warranty and Knowledge: does the shop know the differences between the PPF brands? Do they recommend one vs. the other (XPEL vs. Suntek), and why? Can they explain to you the tools and techniques would they use to ‘prep’ the paint prior to PPF? Can they give you examples of bad installs, and what to look for? When asked for recommended solution, how open are they with their approach, or would they ultimately try to ‘up-sell’ you on different products and services?
Lastly, how long do they warrant their work (i.e. lifetime)? What is the PPF’s warranty (XPEL and SunTek are up to 10 yrs…)

4. Trust & Your Own Gut Feeling: how do you feel after the first few interactions and reviewing their work? And here is where I believe this is the most crucial part of the PPF process – choosing an experienced and knowledgeable installer, honest, friendly and professional that will listen to your needs, one that will take the necessary efforts prepping your vehicle before the film goes on…one that you’d ultimately trust with your car.

5. Price: lastly, and yes lastly, is the cost. Some items and services are worth the price paid…I plan on keeping the M2C for many years, so quality work and after sales support was number 1!

I view choosing a great PPF and Detail shop like choosing a mechanic shop to work on your vehicle…if trust isn’t there, price wouldn’t really matter.

So…after reaching out to 5 shops around DFW, I didn’t have a solid feeling about any of them. For help, I reached out to Phil @ Detailers Domain in NJ (CHEERS PHIL - you are AWESOME!!), and he immediately recommended Trey @ Speed Shield (https://www.speedshieldusa.com).

I emailed Trey countless number of times, I talked to every single one of his crew on multiple of occasions, asked tons of questions…trying to follow the guide above. Every single interaction was professional, friendly, with all of the details offered anyone could ask for.

I ended up visiting Trey last week: the shop was SUPER clean & organized; it has several bays with dedicated detailing or installing areas to minimize cross-contamination. During my visit, Trey was working on several Teslas, a red Ferrari 488 Pista and another Bimmer (535 I think).

Eventually, I dropped off the car last Tuesday July 7th...I expect to pick it up early next week!

Phase 1:
Since BMW doesn’t have a touchup paint kit for Hockenheim, I went with Dr. ColorChip to correct the paint scuffs: this was recommended by some fellow Bimmerpost members as well as Speedshield - I asked them to touch up any of the paint damage, as I trusted them much better than my own skill!

Here is how SpeedShield prepped my car:

1. foam cannon spray down,
2. 2-bucket hand wash, clay bar, alcohol wipe down, compressed air blow out around trim and panel gaps, followed by another alcohol wipe down to ready the surface
3. applied Dr. ColorChip on about ~30 paint chips and scuffs.

Trey and his crew painstakingly inspected the car and marked every single scuff mark with blue painter's tape - see attachments.

Afterwards Trey applied the touch up paint, not only did he send before/after pictures, but he invited me over to his shop to inspect the work in person, and approve the work BEFORE the PPF job. I can tell you, that it turned out much better than I expected...I can barely see the majority of the touch ups (some can be seen only upon getting really up close, or in certain light).

So far, I am impressed with Trey's expertise, skill set and level of professionalism - although I haven't seen the finished product, I feel extremely confident and at ease in selecting Speedshield to work on my car!

Phase 2: - work in progress
Install Suntek Ultra PPF
NOTE: this is work in progress, I’ll add pictures once Trey sends them my way…
Phase 3: - work in progress
Allow ~24 hrs for PPF to cure.
Attached Images

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-12-2020 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Almost forgot...from what I've seen so far, Trey and his crew are so meticulous at their job that I've given them a new nickname: "Groupe of Artistes"

In today's race for companies to maximize their profits, it's refreshing to see business owners who still take painstaking pride in their work and value their customers' satisfaction above all else!

So if you're in the Dallas area, and are looking for a pro shop to either detail, install PPF or window tint, I highly recommend Trey @ Speed Shield in Addison TX! You won't be disappointed!

Cheers!
      07-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Here are some pics with the Suntek Ultra Film installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

This will end up being the best money you've ever spent. I will never own a sports car again w/o! Almost at the finish line. I bet your excited!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
This will end up being the best money you've ever spent. I will never own a sports car again w/o! Almost at the finish line. I bet your excited!
Thanks @[robertm] - definitely. Congrats on you '20 M2C...is yours DCT or 6sp, and did you get full body PPF?

After just purchasing the car in June, definitely I'm stretching for this. But I plan on keeping the M2C for the long term, so MOST definitely quality PPF is worth it. I also take comfort in knowing that Speed Shield is doing such a fantastic job. I mean, you can't even tell there is any film unless you really zoom in areas like the park distance sensors...

I'm super excited - can't wait to pick it up later this week! I miss driving her for sure...

P.S. after talking it over with Trey, he commented that SiO2 ceramic coating isn't really needed - it wouldn't hurt of course, but not necessary since SunTek Ultra already has a top coat which increases stain resistance and product longevity by limiting water and dirt accumulation. However, to increase the hydrophobic properties and ease of maintenance:

a. I plan on picking up some ceramic coating DIY kits and doing it myself 1-2 a year;
b. and in between the weekly washes:

1. use Griots Garage Spray on Wax as a drying aid and that lil-bit of extra protection
2. Every few months or so, can also top off with Griots Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 spray-on/buff-off solution. Although the latest line from TurtleWax (Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating) has been getting some great reviews (check out Pan The Organizer YouTube channel), so will give that a try as well.

Cheers y'all!

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-14-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0